Cymbal arm w clamp for hihat stand?

shnootre

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just that I’m not mechanically inclined - but looking at those Gibraltar attachments, I can’t see one that would get out far enough, and then up high enough. Am I missing something?

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The issue I see with the DW mount is that the dogbone will only attach to a small diameter rod. It doesn't open up enough to attach to a larger tube (as in a hi-hat stand). Perhaps a better approach would be to use one of the less expensive Gibraltar clamps and attach it to a nearby cymbal stand to bring the splash over your hi-hats.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
The issue I see with the DW mount is that the dogbone will only attach to a small diameter rod. It doesn't open up enough to attach to a larger tube (as in a hi-hat stand).
YES - Looking at the bottom attachment, this would be a problem.

I did this wilth my kit. I will try to remember to take a pic when I get home.
I am using a Pearl AX25L to clamp to the hi-hat with a boom arm to get around my 14" hats. It's the only thing I had that would open up enough for the hi-hat tube.
1586178058124.png

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For many years I used two Pearl CH70 arms; one off of my Tama Lever Glide Hi Hat stand with an 8" Splash, and one off of a Pearl 800 Series boom stand, with either a 12" Mini China or a heavy 9" Ice Bell. The clamp size was more than adequate for each stand, and I was able to position the Splash quite comfortably around 14" Hi Hats. Although I usually don't trust a simple U-bolt over the boom arm, I don't recall ever having a failure with the mechsnism.

It seems there are two versions now, the second of which looks to have an updated seat and wing nut and a different nut on the clamp, but all else appears to be the same. I had the top version with the metal seat and wing nut.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

shnootre

Reaction score
This is helpful - when you guys talk about clamping to the hihat, are you referring to the upper, thinner part, or the lower thicker one. In my setup it would actually be ideal if I could mount to the fatter tube - wonder if the AX 25 could get around it. Currently have a cowbell AND a hihat mic holder clamped to the upper thin tube (I know I am asking a lot of that hihat stand. It’s a newish DW5000 and seems up to the task so far!)

cworrick a pic would be great!

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the Pearl (really old one shown on the photo on the left above). It's had a myriad of cymbals attached to it over it's lifetime. Now it's attached to my hi hat or left crash boom stand with a splash. It works fine, although I've always found the teeth of each part of the clamp never angle it flat, which drives my OCD crazy.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is helpful - when you guys talk about clamping to the hihat, are you referring to the upper, thinner part, or the lower thicker one. In my setup it would actually be ideal if I could mount to the fatter tube - wonder if the AX 25 could get around it. Currently have a cowbell AND a hihat mic holder clamped to the upper thin tube (I know I am asking a lot of that hihat stand. It’s a newish DW5000 and seems up to the task so far!)

cworrick a pic would be great!
I clamped mine to the upper tube, which I can't recall the dimension of at the moment.

The base tube of the DW5000 is 1 1/8" so if a traditional clamp won't work you, you may want to consider something like the DW Mega Clamp and a seperate cymbal arm. It's adjustable from 1/2" to 1 1/4". Only downside is that it may be a little clunky compared to an all-in-one clamp and arm.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I put an extension on my high hat rod and added a cymbal tilter. Or you could use a cymbal stacker as well. I put a 14" crash within easy reach this way. No additional space required in setup.

Here
2018 Freedom Fest - 10.jpg High Hat Tilter.JPG

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
What height are you looking for? Same height as the hi hat cymbals or higher and if higher, how much?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I do what Tilter does to mount an 18" cymbal to the right of my ride for gigs.

I used to have a splash cymbal holder for the H.H. stand that was an "L" shape about 10" wide and 6" high. The clamp was at the base of the 10" piece and allowed for a cowbell, splash or both to be mounted off the HH stand. Don't recall brand but the clamp sucked! It always slid down and had to rest on the main HH stand tube but was always too low.....

Can you mount off a left side cymbal stand instead?

shnootre

Reaction score
What height are you looking for? Same height as the hi hat cymbals or higher and if higher, how much?
Sorting through these helpful options. I would love the splash to be higher than the hihat, enough so that I can hit it without worrying about it hitting the hihat for sure! My LS ride already supports my rack tom, and it’s a cluttered little area w a cha cha bell between the hihat and the rack tom (mounted on the upper tube of hh). I may be able to add another extension to the LS ride stand, but geographically I think hh stand is best bet.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Sorry, got busy with another project and nearly forgot.
Even with the long clamp I still have to angle the clamp to angle the cymbal mount to get around the cymbals. I don't think anything shorter will work. As you can see it is clamped to the smaller tube. I don't think there is a clamp that can get big enough to go around the larger tubes, but I could be wrong .

Here's the pix
20200406_213924.jpg

20200406_213937.jpg

20200406_213944.jpg

Hope this helps.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using both Gibraltar and old Tama clamps on my hi hat at home, works great!

70E97C94-1B3F-4796-83FC-2C7670A48420.jpeg

shnootre

Reaction score
Sorry, got busy with another project and nearly forgot.
Even with the long clamp I still have to angle the clamp to angle the cymbal mount to get around the cymbals. I don't think anything shorter will work. As you can see it is clamped to the smaller tube. I don't think there is a clamp that can get big enough to go around the larger tubes, but I could be wrong .

Here's the pix
View attachment 434340
View attachment 434341
View attachment 434342

Hope this helps.
Wow - this is HUGELY helpful. Can you help me understand exactly what you have coming off the hihat stand. I see the Pearl attachment (which looks different in your pic than in the one you posted again, and then it looks like two different boom arms? ) You're accomplishing pretty close to exactly what I want to do - I just want to understand all the pieces.

shnootre

Reaction score
Ended up springing for the Gibraltar ultra adjust boom arm and the Pearl Ax25L clamp. Ironically the two combine to cost more than I paid for the splash, but I really dig the flexibility they’ll offer (I hope). Will post a pic when I’ve got em set up.

Latest posts