Cymbal Bag Recommendation

poetman

Reaction score
Like most drumming related issues, personal preference comes into play here. I found an old leather bag from the 60’s—no frills at all, just a leather sack—to be perfect for my needs. I don’t need pockets, excess padding, and other gimmicks—just a sack to hold my bronze. Finding something used for under $100 was a bonus!

chevvies

Reaction score
Not sure if you chaps have access to thomann.de but I got me one of these, it's brilliant!

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 14.44.12.png

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I would recommend the BEATO cymbal bag 1000%.
A few different options depending on what you need/want.
You can talk to Fred Beato directly also.
I had mine made with a larger hi hat pouch to fit my 17" hats. No problem and no extra charge!
I have had it for 3 years, and it's performed better than any other bag I have bought over the years (probably everything everyone else has).
I also use the Beato stick, pedal and hardware bags. Fantastic, and worth every cent.

My only regret is not buying them in the 80's when I first heard about them.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If price is no object and you aren't too concerned with it being a bag, SKB cymbal vault is the way to go. I've had mine for 20 years and still looks and performs like new.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
In a vacuum, Beato Pro 1 or Tough Traveller Drumslinger.

However:
You can call Fred Beato up on the phone and get little customizations like other folks have mentioned (larger hihat pockets, etc), the pricing is better, turnaround time is quicker, and you can get drum bags to match... so my vote is Pro 1.

Before I got a Tough Traveller, I went through a cymbal bag per year. I used myTough Traveller for 15 years, literally thousands of gigs, dozens of tours in nearly two dozen countries, and other than ONE $10 trip to the tailor's to tidy up a couple of loose seams a decade in, it's still great. And all that said, I think the Pro 1 is EVEN BETTER than that.

Other than some handmade leather bags I've seen over the years, I think those two products are several levels up from anything else on the market. You might not see it the day you buy it, but you see it for SURE the year after you buy it. Little things like subtly better fabric, sturdier seams, patterns that have been perfected to wear well against the stresses that a cymbal bag experiences in use. They're not design-y, "2020 cool", but they're solid, timeless designs.

Compared to the cheap cymbal bags I'd have replaced (and damaged cymbals I'd have endured... had a shoulder strap fall off on my bag before I got the TT that did a not-nice thing to the edge of a 22 K Con), a good cymbal bag is a solid investment many times over.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Does anyone have a great cymbal bag recommendation?

I’m not looking to cut corners here. I don’t want to say money is no object, but I’m also looking for what some say is high quality.
I'm still good with my Tuxedo bag.

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got lucky. Several years back i found a handmade leather bag with purple velvet interior / dividers

Monday317

Reaction score
Dale, I’m not a pro but have a great set of cymbals that I don’t want to see damaged; my ride alone is 24”. I have used a Zildjian Deluxe Cordura bag in the past, which is fine for a gigging drummer doing local jobs. If you have expensive cymbals though, a hard case is a better choice and you won’t have to sell a kidney to get one. I now use a Humes & Berg 24” case on wheels that does it all perfectly and was under $150 USD when I acquired it a few years back. It comes with pre-cut felt dividers to keep your precious brass pies for banging against each other and extras in different sizes are available as your needs change. Best way to go IMHO.

robertgarven

Reaction score
I prefer the SKB hard case.
I have 2 Paiste cymbal bags I love a 20” & 22” for soft storage, but for travel I needed the strongest, lightest weight hard case. After trying several I chose the SKB. I have seen it thrown by baggage handlers at least several times while watching it being loaded yet it still performs. I can get my Paiste 2002; 22” ride, 4 crashes, and a set of high hats. I had to modify the set up by using a thinner pad at the bottom to hold more cymbals, and I bought a few more separator pads. The center plastic sleeve gets chewed up as much of the weight of the cymbals ride on it but SKB sent me several more for free. They really stand by their products and I would highly recommend this. I got the one without wheels so I could carry more metal! Even though the wheels do seem like a good idea what time zone are at the airport we get rolling carts anyway a lot of times you’re going up and down stairs and escalators what have you so I found the case without wheels to meet my needs perfectly. So far I’m way harder on the cymbals than the baggage handlers unfortunately....

Attachments

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reunion Blues used to make great bags. How many cymbals are you schlepping around?
They don't anymore - all overseas now. And the original guy that created those bags used to make his own (Glen Cronkhite) but he retired.

I have a Cronkhite cymbal bag. It's heavy leather but it's extremely well made. I also have a 30 year Reunion Blues stick bag that is still going strong. If I was buying now I'd go with a Beato or a Tough Traveler.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
Humes & Berg Tuxedo Cordura cymbal bags are fully padded to protect expensive cymbals. These bags will hold a maximum of twelve cymbals. Features include carrying handles, shoulder strap, and a large outside zippered pocket that will hold plenty of accessories; plenty of dividers, well thought out. Not inexpensive but well worth it.

I also have a mint Reunion Blues RBXCM22 bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFBB38U/ref=psdc_11966841_t1_B002K5LE1M?th=1 which is superb - if you're interested, PM me for a great deal.

alexey88

Reaction score
After a lot of cheap bags I saw a great drummer friend with a beautiful black leather one and he told me it was a Piesafe bag from Cymbalsonly.com The drummer that runs the site makes the bags. I bought one and have never looked back, it's lovely. Every other bag I've owned has worn out within a few years. Nylon just does not last. This just gets more and more worn in and OG and I think I'll have it forever and it's timeless looking. The guy was super nice to deal with too. I ended up buying a cymbal with the bag as he had crafted a fantastic shipping vessel for it anyway, and was also delighted with the cymbal he helped me pick out. Here's the link http://www.cymbalsonly.com/pie_safe/pie_safe.htm[/QUOTE]

egw

Reaction score
Otherwise I'd go for Protecion Racket if you can get them where you are.
I've got the Protection Racket backpack-style bag, and I really like it, except for its size. It's huge, and I personally don't use cymbals large enough to justify it. If they made the same bag just a few inches smaller, it would be the perfect cymbal bag in my opinion.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I would recommend the BEATO cymbal bag 1000%.
A few different options depending on what you need/want.
You can talk to Fred Beato directly also.
I had mine made with a larger hi hat pouch to fit my 17" hats. No problem and no extra charge!
I have had it for 3 years, and it's performed better than any other bag I have bought over the years (probably everything everyone else has).
I also use the Beato stick, pedal and hardware bags. Fantastic, and worth every cent.

My only regret is not buying them in the 80's when I first heard about them.
17" Hats???

rmartin

Reaction score

I’m not looking to cut corners here. I don’t want to say money is no object, but I’m also looking for what some say is high quality.
forget buying a cymbal bag build your own carrier 24 x 24 x 1/2 plywood ,2x4 legs ,3/8 T nut, 3/8 all thread, 2 fender washers, 2 wing nuts , vinyl hose, and to cymbal felts 30 minutes to build. you can stack your simple on both side from small to large and ba,once the weight on both sides this is a great carrier see attached

Attachments