Cymbal choice for Church

jacobxezequiel

Reaction score
hello everyone, i need help! i’m looking for a ride cymbal for my kit at church. At my church we play a mix of CCM (christian contemporary music) and other gospel and latin types of songs. what i’m trying to say is that i’m looking for a ride cymbal that has the crash abilities that are necessary for ccm but also has good bell definition for gospel and latin songs. and to top it all of my budget is not too big, i’m looking for affordability but i would to have some different options regardless of price. would really appreciate it if the community could help. thank you.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, there, and welcome! You're going to get a wide range of responses and suggestions, so it might be good to know a few things:

1. Are you being mic'ed?
2. How big is the church? What's the other instrumentation? Is there a choir?
3. How loud do things tend to get?
4. Do you have a size preference for the cymbal?
5. Do you have any brand loyalty? Like, do you prefer Zildjian or Sabian or Agop or whatever?

All that said, I can recommend the Zildjian Sweet Rides-- both the A and K versions sound great. You can look them up on YouTube.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
On a budget, Zildjian A 20” medium ride or A 21” sweet ride. Higher price, you may check out some K Zildjians such as K Light, K Sweet, etc.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian 20" A Medium ride is a great all-around cymbal that can be picked up for a relatively low price.
Also check out the A Custom Medium ride if you prefer a little brighter sound that cuts through the mix well.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Atlanta and Red pretty much nailed it...

Only the thing I would add is-

If you go Zildjian stick with the A and A customs for a bell better suited to a Latin feel. The A bells will be brighter and cut better for that.

Secondly, don't overlook the Sabian counter part AA and AAX lines. Same basic pricing, maybe slightly less. and pretty much same application.

MOST importantly-buy USED. You will save considerably on a single cymbal purchase over a new cymbal.

andlours

Reaction score
I would recommend the 21" Sabian HHX Groove ride. Very crashable with a great bell. They can be found pretty easily used at a good price.

Sammybear

Reaction score
The church where I play we use a Zildjian 20" K Ride for the main ride....a great, versatile cymbal. We play mic'd in a large sanctuary. I think a 21" A Sweet Ride would also be a great versatile cymbal.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
they don't play themselves; develop your touch you can play just about anything; something too heavy or something too light may give you a tough time so; think about weights and diameter; unless it's old ks then all bets are off..

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For that type of music and dynamic level as well... I would recommend larger diameters and thinner weights. I dont really care what the brand is as much as I would be looking for full, lush sounds that speak quickly and easily without a sharp bite. That is the sound that is currently being featured among the majority of recognized worship acts.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
For that type of music and dynamic level as well... I would recommend larger diameters and thinner weights. I dont really care what the brand is as much as I would be looking for full, lush sounds that speak quickly and easily without a sharp bite. That is the sound that is currently being featured among the majority of recognized worship acts.
- Unless the kit is close mic'd and the sound person competent, that kind of sound is likely to get lost in a big room.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
- Unless the kit is close mic'd and the sound person competent, that kind of sound is likely to get lost in a big room.
Well, quite true, I was thinking of the typical smaller venue most church drummers occupy. In a larger environment it's more open in selection options to be sure. However my orgional statement still stands, in that contemporary popular worship is not being played on small, bright crashes and traditional pingy rides. That has become more the realm of the "gospel" drummer which traditional plays a very different style and in a different feeling and sounding venue. So even large worship rooms are still using lush large plates, but you are correct, just being miced.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
As others have said, there are lots of options that will work well. So don’t feel afraid that you’ll make a bad choice. I think JDA nailed it by thinking more about the desired weight range and diameter, then your touch and stick choice will do the rest. But I’d highly suggest Zildjians (granted, I’m a little biased). Probably can’t go wrong with something in the middle like a medium weight. Have fun and be happy with what you end up with!

You know, cymbals find “us.” Can’t own them all. But love the ones you have.

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We use Dreams...Bliss. We also have K’s. In our room I prefer the sound of the Dreams. I’ve also brought my Paiste Giant Beat/Dream Vintage Bliss setup and thought that was a great combo for worship music. To me, for the price, Dreams (especially vintage Bliss) are a great option. They don’t overpower the room. They sound good miked up and have that beautiful warm sound that sounds good in the mix. But there are a lot of wonderful cymbals that work well for worship.