Cymbal cleaning

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
I have a pair of old Ideal Hi Hat cymbals I think early 60`s that I like to use on small gigs with my cheap hardware I have seen many ways to clean cymbals. I tried paste to much like work for me. I seen lemon Coke[ but with different time lengths. I even seen a guy putting in a Pool for 4 seconds. Just would like to hear your thoughts. Enjoy the rhythm.

Old Dog

Reaction score
If you're only cleaning them, getting some of the patina off, I suggest lemon juice and white vinegar. Maybe soak for a few and give a good scrubbing. I can't speak to polishing. When I used the Zildjian polish on my vintage set I bought, they came out looking basically like they did before the polishing--FAIL :rolleyes:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ketchup works, too. Cover it up, let it sit 15 minutes, and it will be a lot cleaner.
There are YT videos about different methods. Lemon juice didn't do much for me. I don't think I've tried vinegar.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you this......"Wrights Copper Cleaner" will make them look like they just left the factory....BUT..BE WARNED!!!! it will also remove any ink stamp on the cymbal, like your "Sabian" stamp above. I , personally like having cymbals that look like new, but alot of guys dont, they want some dirt to stay in the grooves to give the cymbal a warmer sound. Wrights will remove it all, and possibly a bit of the metal also!!

Last edited:

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you this......"Wrights Copper Cleaner" will make them look like they just left the factory....BUT..BE WARNED!!!! it will also remove any ink stamp on the cymbal, like your "Sabian" stamp above. I , personally like having cymbals that look like new, but alot of guys dont, they want some dirt to stay in the grooves to give the cymbal a warmer sound. Wrights will remove it all, and possibly a bit of the metal also!!
Thanks retrosonic and every one else for the comments. These old Ideals have no stamping. My Constantinople's do. So may be the Ketchup will work on them.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Groove Juice is easy to use and works well. Brasso takes a lot of elbow grease and I never feel like it takes of everything, but I do use it.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you were saying you tried Paiste, or paste, but I like the Paiste cymbal cleaner. Works really well for me. Brasso works well too. Another good thing once you clean them and polish is to put a little car wax on em. It helps protect em a lot. I dont have before pics, but I just did mine last weekend with Paiste cleaner and Paiste protectant.
20190715_105141.jpg
20190715_102913.jpg
20190715_103219.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I generally use brasso. Afterwords I wash with soap and hot water to remove any leftover residue then dry and buff. It’s a lot of work but I like shiny bling

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’ve done the ketchup before. It made them look cleaner but not newer if that makes sense

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^ That's a great vid from Zildjian ... informative, humorous, and not too long!