Cymbal Cleaning

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I admit it. I'm a fan of clean, shiny cymbals, and clean mine regularly, especially since a friend told me about Bar Keepers Friend. So I brought my cymbals home from our big band rehearsal space for cleaning. Before and after pics are attached. Cymbals are all A's of various ages, mostly purchased on ebay. 22" Medium, 20" Swish (70's era), 18" thin crash, 16" thin crash, 14" thin crash, 14" hats (2), and 8" splash.

I clean them every several months, so it doesn't take long. Today it took about 20 minutes. In the days of Brasso it would have taken hours, and would make a big mess. Now I just have some towels and a washcloth that are dirty, and a very clean steel sink.

Attachments

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Almost forgot to mention that what looks like black tape on the bottom of my bottom hihat is velcro that holds the transducer for my ancient Beat Bug, which still works.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just saying the other day it’s time to polish the ol bronze. I’m a fan of the bling myself.

How would you compare the finished product/ sheen BKF vs Brasso?

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those look great! Nice job!

FWIW, I've had really good luck with this stuff: http://www.kicknbrass.com

I've used Groove Juice, and others in the past. KicknBrass is by far the easiest, quickest cymbal cleaner I've run across, and it works extremely well. I haven't tried the Bar Keeper's Friend thing though. It (you) sure did a nice job on those cymbals!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was just saying the other day it’s time to polish the ol bronze. I’m a fan of the bling myself.

How would you compare the finished product/ sheen BKF vs Brasso?
Since it's a polish, Brasso gives a shinier finish, but it used to take me half an hour and a lot of elbow grease to polish my 22" ride. BKF simply removes dirt and corrosion (patina), and takes about 2 minutes per cymbal, and the cymbals look very good. Also, the cloths you use to polish with Brasso are frankly ruined. BKF cloths are just wet, except for maybe the washcloth I use to scrub.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So cleaning those was so much fun, I decided to clean my gigging cymbals (22/22/20/18/16/14x3/10/8/6). Then my surplus pies (18/12/splash). Then, a few minutes after my last post, my home setup (22/20/18/16/14x2/13/6). If you're counting, that's 30 cymbals cleaned over 3 1/2 hours, with long breaks along the way. I feel so productive.

Last edited:

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have and use my beatbug. I use it on my top snare head. Never thought about using it anyway else.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have and use my beatbug. I use it on my top snare head. Never thought about using it anyway else.
I wanted to use mine playing jazz. Since I rarely play backbeats then, but do play the hats on 2 and 4, it made sense to attach the transducer to the bottom cymbal, where it's out of the way and still gives me a signal how fast I'm playing. And if it's a rock gig where I'm playing the hats with sticks, all I have to do is play quarters for a measure or two, or accent the downbeats more than upbeats.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, fan of the clean here as well, and those look cleeeeeeeen!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My hats are semi-lathed and my two main rides are un-lathed so I can avoid cleaning beyond a wipe occasionally. I did a get a new lathed ride recently and might get around to cleaning that next year :)

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My hats are semi-lathed and my two main rides are un-lathed so I can avoid cleaning beyond a wipe occasionally. I did a get a new lathed ride recently and might get around to cleaning that next year :)
That's another good point. All my normal gigging cymbals are K Custom and K Constantinople, which rarely require cleaning. The only cymbal I have that is problematic in terms of collecting finger prints, etc. is an A Custom crash that I rarely use. I can't stand to see it all smudged up with finger prints, so it gets cleaned frequently when I'm using it (which is infrequently).

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you using BKF liquid or powder, and what is your process do you pour directly on the cymbal, or onto the rag?
I used the powder once on a sabian cymbal I thought it was too much

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those cymbals in your before/after pictures look great.

I’ll confess to being a no cleaner. I just prefer the mellow patina look and (probably psychological) sound.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motivated by this thread I gave my 17's a once over last night. Used Noxon I had on hand is much the same stuff as Brasso. Took only minutes they were clean to start sans fingerprints some brush grime and a light tarnish. As mentioned regular cleanings make things easy. twice a yr maybe (I don't bother cleaning the underside)

Backside lg stamp
47394CF2-C5B6-43AF-90AC-CF955B53EAD2.jpeg

FC9ECD9B-5079-4E6A-B2E5-0FB12F9B0B92.jpeg

Reverse stamp image from the backide
C08F4E0A-A252-4F57-B65A-DAA5D40C78ED.jpeg
EA461C0F-A75E-4C31-99E3-1935F4DEEFCF.jpeg

Backside Trans stamp repairs by jake
1015D26D-7DB6-4AFF-AE0A-F2F2B4785B45.jpeg
BEA362A1-05CC-48A0-99D1-3B03F33A268D.jpeg
8F507BE5-CDEA-4DA0-8A23-C3F836E58F17.jpeg
CDC6425D-A43F-4031-84AB-66AB8F9E533B.jpeg

Last edited:

sabian guy

Reaction score
I admit it. I'm a fan of clean, shiny cymbals, and clean mine regularly, especially since a friend told me about Bar Keepers Friend. So I brought my cymbals home from our big band rehearsal space for cleaning. Before and after pics are attached. Cymbals are all A's of various ages, mostly purchased on ebay. 22" Medium, 20" Swish (70's era), 18" thin crash, 16" thin crash, 14" thin crash, 14" hats (2), and 8" splash.

I clean them every several months, so it doesn't take long. Today it took about 20 minutes. In the days of Brasso it would have taken hours, and would make a big mess. Now I just have some towels and a washcloth that are dirty, and a very clean steel sink.
What is a beat bug?