Cymbal GAS got me yesterday

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m very happy with the few cymbals I have but I casually thought about a decent crash ride in the next month or two. But I started listening to videos of them, and most weren’t what I was looking for or too expensive even used, and in more cases than not, both.

Meanwhile I had fallen in love with my buddy’s Sabian AAX 20 Studio Ride, but he refused to sell. Has a very versatile sound that works well with most situations. Doesn’t get talked about much, but as I’m listening to demos, the Studio Ride demos just had the sound that spoke to me, and sounded consistently like my bud’s cymbal.

Tonight I found one on FB Marketplace for about $75 less than the cheapest one I could find on Reverb or EBay, so naturally I had to order it. As long as nothing gets fouled up, I should have it by the end of the week.

Don’t know why the Studio Ride (now called the AAX Thin Ride) doesn’t get more attention, but it’s a very “normal” sounding cymbal that does crash, ride and bell equally good, not too dry, not too wet. So many crash rides have weaknesses in one or the other, but I can’t hear any in that one.

I thought I was done with buying cymbals for quite a while, but the lack of a crash ride got to me and I got weak. So now I’m officially and totally done.

No, really.

5stroke

Reaction score
That's a very good price. I had a 20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride that had a great ping but was too hard to crash easily, so I'd have preferred the thinner Studio Ride to crash easier if.
What's the specific website address you found the cymbal on (could you share that your purchase is complete?) Just in case GAS attacks me going forward.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a very good price. I had a 20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride that had a great ping but was too hard to crash easily, so I'd have preferred the thinner Studio Ride to crash easier if.
What's the specific website address you found the cymbal on (could you share that your purchase is complete?) Just in case GAS attacks me going forward.
Facebook Marketplace

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did just fine for 33 yrs owning a single set of 6 Zilldjian A cymbals from the 60's and 70's. Then I came here in 2018 and developed a case of G.A.S.

Now I have well over 100 vintage Zildjians.....about 40 of which I rontinely rotate around. Go Figure !

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned (1970) all A's as First cymbals; they came (20,18,14) with the Used (Ludwig) set inside the trap Case.
After 3 years (73-74) I bought some 2oo2 SE hi Hats 14" and a 16" 2oo2 to add to them. New. From local store.
Fast Forward to 1990 when one day the Sound Edge hi hats AIR LOCKED on me.
Rest is history

Last edited:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did just fine for 33 yrs owning a single set of 6 Zilldjian A cymbals from the 60's and 70's. Then I came here in 2018 and developed a case of G.A.S.

Now I have well over 100 vintage Zildjians.....about 40 of which I rontinely rotate around. Go Figure !
Well since drums are never going to be my main instrument, I can control my GAS for them a lot easier. But I’ll admit that I was surprised that I went from zero to buy within a day of window shopping a crash ride, so I guess I am not immune when the right price on the right item comes up.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I owned (1970) all A's as First cymbals; they came (20,18,14) with the Used (Ludwig) set inside the trap Case.
After 3 years (73-74) I bought some 2oo2 SE hi Hats 14" and a 16" 2oo2 to add to them. New. From local store.
Fast Forward to 1990 when one day the Sound Edge hi hats AIR LOCKED on me.
Rest is history

Joe I’m thinking you inadvertently got the 2001 model if they AIR LOCKED on you, and not the 2002s
0CE419BF-975B-4632-BF9C-AED9F7B9A810.jpeg