header.nohb.html

Cymbal GAS got me yesterday

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m very happy with the few cymbals I have but I casually thought about a decent crash ride in the next month or two. But I started listening to videos of them, and most weren’t what I was looking for or too expensive even used, and in more cases than not, both.

Meanwhile I had fallen in love with my buddy’s Sabian AAX 20 Studio Ride, but he refused to sell. Has a very versatile sound that works well with most situations. Doesn’t get talked about much, but as I’m listening to demos, the Studio Ride demos just had the sound that spoke to me, and sounded consistently like my bud’s cymbal.

Tonight I found one on FB Marketplace for about $75 less than the cheapest one I could find on Reverb or EBay, so naturally I had to order it. As long as nothing gets fouled up, I should have it by the end of the week.

Don’t know why the Studio Ride (now called the AAX Thin Ride) doesn’t get more attention, but it’s a very “normal” sounding cymbal that does crash, ride and bell equally good, not too dry, not too wet. So many crash rides have weaknesses in one or the other, but I can’t hear any in that one.

I thought I was done with buying cymbals for quite a while, but the lack of a crash ride got to me and I got weak. So now I’m officially and totally done.

No, really.

5stroke

Reaction score
That's a very good price. I had a 20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride that had a great ping but was too hard to crash easily, so I'd have preferred the thinner Studio Ride to crash easier if.
What's the specific website address you found the cymbal on (could you share that your purchase is complete?) Just in case GAS attacks me going forward.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a very good price. I had a 20" Sabian AAX Stage Ride that had a great ping but was too hard to crash easily, so I'd have preferred the thinner Studio Ride to crash easier if.
What's the specific website address you found the cymbal on (could you share that your purchase is complete?) Just in case GAS attacks me going forward.
Facebook Marketplace

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did just fine for 33 yrs owning a single set of 6 Zilldjian A cymbals from the 60's and 70's. Then I came here in 2018 and developed a case of G.A.S.

Now I have well over 100 vintage Zildjians.....about 40 of which I rontinely rotate around. Go Figure !

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I owned (1970) all A's as First cymbals; they came (20,18,14) with the Used (Ludwig) set inside the trap Case.
After 3 years (73-74) I bought some 2oo2 SE hi Hats 14" and a 16" 2oo2 to add to them. New. From local store.
Fast Forward to 1990 when one day the Sound Edge hi hats AIR LOCKED on me.
Rest is history

Last edited:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did just fine for 33 yrs owning a single set of 6 Zilldjian A cymbals from the 60's and 70's. Then I came here in 2018 and developed a case of G.A.S.

Now I have well over 100 vintage Zildjians.....about 40 of which I rontinely rotate around. Go Figure !
Well since drums are never going to be my main instrument, I can control my GAS for them a lot easier. But I’ll admit that I was surprised that I went from zero to buy within a day of window shopping a crash ride, so I guess I am not immune when the right price on the right item comes up.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
I owned (1970) all A's as First cymbals; they came (20,18,14) with the Used (Ludwig) set inside the trap Case.
After 3 years (73-74) I bought some 2oo2 SE hi Hats 14" and a 16" 2oo2 to add to them. New. From local store.
Fast Forward to 1990 when one day the Sound Edge hi hats AIR LOCKED on me.
Rest is history

Joe I’m thinking you inadvertently got the 2001 model if they AIR LOCKED on you, and not the 2002s
0CE419BF-975B-4632-BF9C-AED9F7B9A810.jpeg

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
UPS says the Sabian 20 AAX Studio Ride I bought last week should be here today. I’m hoping that the package is listed in tracking at 1.00 lb due to a coding error and not because it’s a 1-lb box of rocks.

Studio ride, now called the AAX Thin Ride, doesn’t get much online love, but I have a friend who doesn’t play but keeps a Yamaha 8000 TC bop kit at his house so drummers don’t bang his walls up at rehearsals. His ride is the Studio, and it’s a really good crash ride if you like “normal” cymbals, which I do. He won’t sell me his, but I found one for considerably less used than most, which is right around $220 average.

My current ride is a 21” SR2 that used to be some sort of HHX. Great sound for ride but zero crash ability. Was going to deal with it, but I play my friend’s drums fairly often and I just love that cymbal.

Hopefully it won’t be rocks, and hopefully it will sound close to my friend’s cymbal. I heard a few demos of it that sound like it, so that’s encouraging. Wish me luck.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot I had the other thread. It’s here…and it’s weird but the crash comes off a little darker than my friend’s cymbal. Still a good sound to me, and I suppose I could use a little darker crash from time to time.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just spent quality time with my new to me cymbal. The ride gets a little over the top washy if you play too hard but backing down on it sounds really good. Bell is a little fussy and won’t bell unless you hit in the middle of it, but has a nice ding when you do. The crash is darker and more sustainy than I thought, but I can use a darker crash than my other two, and I love a big crash that hangs over a bit long, as my 16 gets in and out a little too quick sometimes.

So far so good. As I learn how to get the best out of it, I think I made a good choice for a crash ride. A bit weird how the crash is darker than the ride, but I dig the difference the more I play it. Pretty good for $143 total with shipping and taxes.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't forget pics...just wanted quality time first...

AAX 20 Studio Ride top.JPG
AAX 20 Studio Ride Bottom.JPG
Drums with new cymbal.JPG

Check me out with too many cymbals! Doubt I'll ever bring 4 to any gigs, but at least now I can cut down to 1 if I feel especially lazy :D

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

^^THIS^^....^^THIS^^....^^THIS^^

drumsnstuff

Reaction score
I had a 20" AAX studio ride in the natural finish. It was a great cymbal. Very mellow but bright at the same time. It could crash easy. Don't remember the bell being a standout.

I eventually needed something a little louder and sold it to my other buddy who was just starting out.

I'll tell ya, I miss that one... ENJOY !

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 20" AAX studio ride in the natural finish. It was a great cymbal. Very mellow but bright at the same time. It could crash easy. Don't remember the bell being a standout.

I eventually needed something a little louder and sold it to my other buddy who was just starting out.

I'll tell ya, I miss that one... ENJOY !
Your remembrances are pretty much right on with my experiences, although I have no problem getting loud with it. Thx for the testimonial!