Cymbal & Gong cymbals?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just recently acquired a ride from this lesser-known Turkish cymbal-maker, and I’m pretty dang impressed. Anybody got any Cymbal & Gong pies they might sell/trade?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t, but if you want to know more about that brand, talk to the guys at Revival drums— they are one of his main dealers, and he’s in the shop now and then.

toddbishop

Reaction score
What kind of ride did you get? I'm actually a dealer-- you can see what I have available on my site. There are videos of each individual cymbal for sale. My youtube page includes videos of sold cymbals, if you want to get an idea of their range.

The company is actually a drummer from Portland who has the cymbals manufactured in Turkey, to traditional specifications, similar to 50s Ks and As. I visited the factory in Istanbul last year and really didn't find any other Turkish product similar to C&Gs. In the course of selling them I've gotten to hear them next to people's Istanbul Ks and Spizzichinos, and I find that they compare very favorably.

Let me know if you have any questions-- I would be open to a partial trade, possibly, so let me know what you want to swap!

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah, that’s cool. I had no idea about the Portland connection. There are so many Turkish cymbal companies, I just assumed it was yet another offshoot like Bosphorus, Masterwork, et al.

Mine is a 23” Oaktown ride around 2300g. Haven’t had much time to really acquaint myself with it yet, but from just the little bit I’ve played on it, I’m really digging it.

Thanks for the link. I’ll have to spend some time with those videos. I listened to a few of them, and they all sound fantastic.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have two - an 18" "Holy Grail" and a 22" "Holy Grail" ride. Not sure if the 18 is a ride or crash. A somewhat local new/used dealer had a few new "HG" cymbals (20 & 22) sitting for quite a few years for pretty high prices......I always wanted them but no luck in dropping the prices as they were new (I get good deals on used stuff!). Anyway, I think I found the 18" online a few years ago and it is amazing. I always wanted a bigger ride and went back to the store and the 20 was sold and the 22 just sat again. He finally broke on the price and I picked up the 22 in a trade.

They compliment each other quite well as a LSR and main ride. Gorgeous patina like a Kerope/Om. Super dark crashes yet very light on the stick. The 18 plays like a small ride. The 22 has a roar underneath it that would overpower a piano trio (I'd tape it, though)........I think they are fantastic cymbals.

The 18" goes head to head to my 18 Istanbul K - if only I had a matching 22 old K! These cymbals are the closest I've gotten to a truly old K sound.......esp. the 22".....

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two - an 18" "Holy Grail" and a 22" "Holy Grail" ride. Not sure if the 18 is a ride or crash. A somewhat local new/used dealer had a few new "HG" cymbals (20 & 22) sitting for quite a few years for pretty high prices......I always wanted them but no luck in dropping the prices as they were new (I get good deals on used stuff!). Anyway, I think I found the 18" online a few years ago and it is amazing. I always wanted a bigger ride and went back to the store and the 20 was sold and the 22 just sat again. He finally broke on the price and I picked up the 22 in a trade.

They compliment each other quite well as a LSR and main ride. Gorgeous patina like a Kerope/Om. Super dark crashes yet very light on the stick. The 18 plays like a small ride. The 22 has a roar underneath it that would overpower a piano trio (I'd tape it, though)........I think they are fantastic cymbals.

The 18" goes head to head to my 18 Istanbul K - if only I had a matching 22 old K! These cymbals are the closest I've gotten to a truly old K sound.......esp. the 22".....
I read that whole thing waiting for the part where you go, “But I might consider trading one of them...“ But nope! Lol.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I'm another "nope" in terms of letting mine go. I've got a 22" HG ride that just sounds too good. I agree with the other posters that these seem to stand apart from the familiar Turkish brands.

I picked mine up from Sam Adato's in Eugene. Looks like he's got a few on his site.

John Rudolph

Reaction score

Latest posts