Cymbal "Keyhole" repair

WGMitch

Reaction score
The center hole on my top Hi-Hat has a slight keyhole to it and I'm wondering if there is a repair kit for this. Does anyone know of a repair for the center hole on a cymbal?

Thanks!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever seen done is to grommet the hole. But in my experience there is some deadening that can occur.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
Jeremy

WGMitch

Reaction score
"why bother
as long is it sounds good"

Because the top hi hat cymbal doesn't sit straight.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
For a couple of $, you can try a Grombal. Probably work well and even leave out the felts since the Grombal will provide cushioning by design.

themazk

Reaction score
The center hole on my top Hi-Hat has a slight keyhole to it and I'm wondering if there is a repair kit for this. Does anyone know of a repair for the center hole on a cymbal?

Thanks!
I could TIG weld it like I did on my Paiste sig. power crash here, it also had a nasty crack as well, sounds awesome now though. It's the fourth picture down.
ryan

WGMitch

Reaction score
"For a couple of $, you can try a Grombal. Probably work well and even leave out the felts since the Grombal will provide cushioning by design."

What is a Grombal?

WGMitch

Reaction score
I just purchased a Grombal on ebay for $5.00. I don't think I can lose for that price and I'll let you know how it works out.

WGMitch

Reaction score
Just to note I have been playing the same set of Hi Hat cymbals for 33 years. They are Zildjian New Beat and I purchased them from an 11th grade class mate back in 1979 for $100 and they came with a set of drums and two other Zildjian cymbals one of which I still have and play regularly. So the minor keyhole I have is nothing compared to how much use I have gotten out of these cymbals. :-D

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
Get a fender washer at the hardware store and glue it under the hole with JB Weld epoxy. I repaired a paper thin 16" crash cymbal with a chunk out of it at the hole four years ago and it is still going strong. No real change in the sound of the cymbal either.

jim

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
Just to note I have been playing the same set of Hi Hat cymbals for 33 years. They are Zildjian New Beat and I purchased them from an 11th grade class mate back in 1979 for $100 and they came with a set of drums and two other Zildjian cymbals one of which I still have and play regularly. So the minor keyhole I have is nothing compared to how much use I have gotten out of these cymbals. :-D
so are you bitching or bragging hehehehe.... just kidding.

WGMitch

Reaction score
I'm not bitching that for sure, maybe a little bragging. :icon_smile:

mike17

Reaction score
We are talking about a top hat here right? My first question is how do you fit a clutch to the hat with a grombal in place? You can't, that's how. Secondly, how big is this keyhole that the hat is slipping around on the clutch and not lining up with the bottom hat?

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score

Thanks!
I could TIG weld it like I did on my Paiste sig. power crash here, it also had a nasty crack as well, sounds awesome now though. It's the fourth picture down.
ryan

all I can say is WOW!

i wish someone around here could tig weld some of my pies :shock:

themazk

Reaction score

Thanks!
ryan

all I can say is WOW!

i wish someone around here could tig weld some of my pies :shock:

Yeah man keyholing blows. I use the plastic sleeves with the base made by Gibraltar to prevent any keyholing on my cymbals. I'm sure once you know how tight or loose you want your top hat, you could just use those rubber sleeves on the top hat, as long as it does not interfere with the bottom clutch nut (that just sounds nasty).

And yeah, TIG welding cymbals is nice, saves me a ton of money not having to always buy buy buy, repairing is much cheaper.

WGMitch

Reaction score
"We are talking about a top hat here right?"

Yes

"My first question is how do you fit a clutch to the hat with a grombal in place?"

BTW this is your second question :rolleyes: and my answer is, I don't know yet I haven't gotten the Grombal.

"Secondly, how big is this keyhole that the hat is slipping around on the clutch and not lining up with the bottom hat?"

This is thirdly, :blink: and it's big enough to have the top hi hat off center and the bottom hat sticking out so I'm constantly beating up sticks as I'm hitting the bottom hat.

Latest posts