Cymbal Knock-Offs?

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Has there ever been any evidence of counterfeit cymbal production? Don't know of any fakes, made over the years, but maybe so!

mathale

Reaction score
I hear that there are plenty of Old K knockoffs on the streets of Istanbul. I can dig up some pics of fake stamps.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah, the old K ZilOjian cymbals. Haven't seen any for a while.

fenrir

Reaction score
There was talk of the guy at Saluda involved with something like this

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve never acclimated to the fascination of those 50’s K’s. I’ve heard lots of them and still have no clue why they are considered the best cymbal in the world. I think it just represents an era that people wish was still around. To each his own.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Cardinal Music, the new distributor for Wuhan cymbals recently report a bunch of fakes in a large store overseas?

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I’ve never acclimated to the fascination of those 50’s K’s. I’ve heard lots of them and still have no clue why they are considered the best cymbal in the world. I think it just represents an era that people wish was still around. To each his own.
I feel that way about most vintage cymbals.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back before Amazon wrecked it, I was selling a lot of Wuhan Chinas on eBay. I actually had a customer accuse me of counterfeiting a 12" Wuhan china! Who would make fake Wuhans? It's like printing one-dollar bills.
It’s easier to get away with faking a dollar then a 100 dollar bill. Same would Go for cymbals, easier to fake a cheaper one then a k con

Last edited:

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was definitely some fake Spizzichino’s around, still see them pop up now and then on Reverb for top dollar.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing out there that is immune from counterfeiting. It's nuts.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was talk of the guy at Saluda involved with something like this
That whole Saluda company is a mystery.

I almost got sucked into buying them because they made them look pretty for the price and admittedly marketed them well, but they pretty much sound terrible. Like they put lipstick on a manhole cover and call them hand built cymbals. They've been implicated in some shady selling practices. I think it's more than myth.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easier to get away with faking a dollar then a 100 dollar bill. Same would Go for cymbals, easier to fake a cheaper one then a k con
The point is that it would cost more to make the fake than it would to simply buy the real thing.