Cymbal oxidation

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I recently moved into a new house about 2 years ago. I’ve noticed since the move that some of my older cymbals are developing patina/green oxidation quicker than I have seen in the past. I’ve got a small stamp A that has started to turn very green underneath over the last year. And some other green spots popping up on newer k customs...

is there something that could be making my cymbals turn faster?

before the move I was gigging 3 or 4 times a week so most my cymbals stayed in cymbal bag unless they were on the kit being played at a gig. Where as now I have my kit set up and cymbals out all the time and the rest of them leaning against the wall.

could it just be that they are more exposed being out now instead of in my gig bag?

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I’m not big on cleaning cymbals but also don’t want the green on my old small stamp to get out of hand

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you move near the ocean or where there is a lot of salt air? The drum set that Buddy Rich left Johnny Carson started to rust and the cymbals turned green because Johnny lived near the ocean.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is everything in a temperature controlled room? Is your new house closer to the ocean? I know that salty air will do it for sure...

If that’s the case, I’d try getting some large Space Saver bags and keeping everything you aren’t using stored air tight. Idk what to do about cymbals mounted on your kit though.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Storage in a bag (covered by the bag directly/covered by other cymbals) will reduce some of the exposure that your experiencing now that they're seeing more time on the stand.
Does your new home seem to have more moisture/humidity than the old place?

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
There may be some moisture in the air?

I don’t live close to the beach. But I did attempt to sound proof my music room when building the house. I put 2 layers of 5/8ths Sheetrock with Green Glue soundproofing caulk between the layers, as well as spray foam insulation in the roof and extra fiberglass insulation in the knee walls and stairwell (music room is bonus above the garage) with weatherstripping on the door. I don’t know if it may have sealed the room up too tight and it is holding moisture or what.

but I’ve definitely noticed my cymbals “aging” quicker

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean green oxidation off a cymbal without messing with the patina?

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
My guess, you have higher humidity in this house. From all description, you basically created a low breathable envelope. Check the humidity? If high, use a dehumidifier In the room.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Florida! I have to polish my cymbals every 3 months. That's the time it takes for them to start turning brown. It's humidity that's causing your issue. As previously said, store what you don't use and use a dehumidifier if possible. Another good trick is to get a large old bed sheet and throw it over the cymbals. It won't stop the progression but it will extend the time that the cymbals oxidize.
If you have non-coated cymbals, you can try using Flitz polish. That's what I use and it brings them back to life immediately. Note: I have Sabian HHX Brilliant's! I don't know how it reacts on other cymbals so use at your own risk. It was recommended to me by Sabian!

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm having this problem too and it's driving me nuts while costing me a fortune. I have half a dozen cymbals I need to sell but am holding off until I'm vaccinated because I don't want a steady stream of infected tire-kickers coming over. While I wait, even relatively new cymbals are turning green. Each new hint of green is surely lowering the prices the cymbals will fetch.

And I too am vexed. It took 20 years for my old cymbals to acquire a hint of green. It takes 20 minutes now.

My hypothesis is humidity. I don't live near the ocean or anything, but the room the cymbals are in has a tendency to develop mold. That suggests humidity happening. But I really don't know and it's driving me crazy.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having this problem too and it's driving me nuts while costing me a fortune. I have half a dozen cymbals I need to sell but am holding off until I'm vaccinated because I don't want a steady stream of infected tire-kickers coming over. While I wait, even relatively new cymbals are turning green. Each new hint of green is surely lowering the prices the cymbals will fetch.

And I too am vexed. It took 20 years for my old cymbals to acquire a hint of green. It takes 20 minutes now.

My hypothesis is humidity. I don't live near the ocean or anything, but the room the cymbals are in has a tendency to develop mold. That suggests humidity happening. But I really don't know and it's driving me crazy.
Read my post above! It's humidity. I don't know where you are at but take it from a native Floridian. Everything here gets affected by it. If your cymbals are not coated, give the Flitz a try. Amazon has it so you don't even have to leave home. Coat the cymbal with 4 dots of the cream with a clean cloth, leave for 30 seconds and polish it with another clean cloth until the cymbals shine. It works wonders! I forgot to mention, I have a dehumidifier on the way as well. That should help too!
Here is the Flitz: