Cymbal Rivets

simplicity89

Reaction score
I'm looking at some new cymbals, I've got my eyes set on a sexy sabian AA 20" raw ride and some zildjan amir hi hats. I was contemplating putting some rivets on the hi hat, maybe on the back edge and on the bottom cymbal and 3 on the ride cymbal.

LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS AND SHARE EXPERIENCE PLEASE.

Shawn M

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
first play with some chain (ball style you see on lamps), paper clips, coins etc and see if you like the sound of the rivets and how it dries your cymbals out.
I added 3 rivets to my old A ride and love it.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
No sense in putting rivets in hi-hats. You will not hear them.

Lately, my take is that rivets make any cymbal sound better. Experiment. Two rivets works well on lighter rides. Some cymbals can choke right up if you put too many in.

-Ryan

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 18" Sabain AA medium thin crash that I put a couple of holes in for rivets. One of fell out and now I have just one. For that cymbal it seems to be plenty though and I really like the sound of it. I use the cymbal as both a crash and more often than not, a sort of washy ride (it's got a great bell for accents).

I figured out my own way of putting the rivets in. Instead of smashing them so they stay in, I drill a very small hole across the bottom end of the rivet, put the rivet into the hole in the cymbal, then I get a little piece of wire, thread it through the hole I've made and twist the end together to keep it from falling out. This way, if there's a situation where I don't want the rivet, I can easily untwist the wire and pull the rivet out of the cymbal. I use that cymbal for everything that I play... both rock and jazz and folks seem to like the sound of it.

benjamin

Reaction score
I know the best place to put rivets is right towards the outside of the cymbal, but has anyone tried them towards the middle of the bell? Let me explain, I have a 22 K Light Ride with a horizontal crack right underneath the 'LIGHT RIDE' lettering. Thinking of drilling holes at the ends of the crack and putting rivets in. Would this work okay? Or should I not bother? I've never used rivets, so I'm new to this game.

simplicity89

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input, I heard a guy play the "left side" ride and it was just goodness all over. My reasoning for the hi hats, was it would add to the sizzle. I saw a hi hat a while ago, and it looks as if it had like mini cymbals on the hit top..it gave a great sound.

Shawn M

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Benjamin, you want to put the rivets where they would be excited most by the cymbals vibrations.

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
I just picked up a 20 inch vintage "A" that sounds sweeter than this other 20 inch "A" I've owned since the 60's (which I thought sounded pretty sweet also). Anyways...my old one has a massive keyhole so I'm thinking about going the sizzle route on that one, considering it's diminished value, and that it's been replaced by my new purchase. Also was thinking about drilling some holes in an 18 inch Sabian B8 thin crash. So I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hopefully it's not too much of a hi jack but I have some heavier ride cymbals that ring for too long for my taste. The ring tends to drown out the stick sound to where it's just a roar with no definition. I was wondering if rivets might dampen the ring out a bit and also add a little more flair. I'd hate to resort to duct tape. :twisted:

Any opinions on rivets for heavier rides?

To the orginal poster, it sounds like your describing effects cymbals with tamborine jingles. I've seen them advertised but never heard them in person. Traditionally rivets are put in ride cymbals to make them "sizzle." You can sizzle hi hats just by open them slightly and they vibrate against eachother (instead of against rivets). I have seen people lay a light weight tamborine right on their hihats for effect.

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know the best place to put rivets is right towards the outside of the cymbal, but has anyone tried them towards the middle of the bell? Let me explain, I have a 22 K Light Ride with a horizontal crack right underneath the 'LIGHT RIDE' lettering. Thinking of drilling holes at the ends of the crack and putting rivets in. Would this work okay? Or should I not bother? I've never used rivets, so I'm new to this game.
I would drill the ends of the crack regardless. I've had pretty good luck with that, and it can't really hurt at this point. Once the holes are there, then why not try rivets in them?

As someone alluded to above rivets are usually at the edge because the edges wobble more than the center. The wobble makes the rivets bounce and cause the cymbal to sizzle.

markie04drum

Reaction score
I have been thinking about putting some rivets in a pair of Dream hats.

I have almost all of my stuff drilled for rivets. I find a few rivet sized holes doesn't change the sound, but when you throw a few rivets in, you have a whole new cymbal vibe.