Cymbal Selection for Rivets

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight (or theories) on how cymbal companies select which cymbals they drill for rivets? I’ve always been curious what, if any, the criteria may be but have never asked.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
for 'general best consensus'.... Zildjian wrote in their catalog " medium-thin" cymbals...I think they meant Rides (16"-24") ............were the

"Chosen ones"...

da da da daaa
(and maybe swishes)

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do these selected cymbals by manufacturers have a sound profile in mind you think? Are cymbals selected for rivets examples that are “cream of the crop”, or examples that need a little help?

Sometimes I see individual consumers add rivets to cymbals they weren’t quite happy with, only to eventually sell them with the addition anyway.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes I think prior they do. Or they are taking a customer request (and probably sometimes cringe but hey "Bob wanted it"..)
Just making a Sizzle without an outside request, definitely not need a little help' is their (Companies) reason for rivets. I think they're offering a choice. I've bought Sizzle cymbals new off the showroom.
I think they made it as a choice offering. They probably figure x number of customers are requesting so we'll preempt by shipping pre made a few out.. Sizzle were popular in the late sixties (and well before) into the early mid 70s. You would see them in stores..

Companies try to do the best they can if they care about their rep.
Private sellers may put rivets in for worse reasons

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zildjian (for example the 19" BB) and Meinl (jazz club flat) , not sure about S and P, have models that come with rivets. Same with Turkish companies, the Mel style 21s". Since they don't offer the same model without, I would say they put rivets in regardless of how the cymbal sounds without.

If you 're about to put rivets in yourself and wnat to use the cym for riding, I would look for a clear, slightly metallic stick sound, since the rivets will cover some of that.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up an Istanbul Mehmet Mikael Z with 3 rivets and it is truly incredible sounding cymbal. I haven't heard non-riveted examples of this model in person, and it got me wondering on the selection process.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought there would be more opinion or fact on this topic here.

Does a cymbal need to sound better than average to warrant factory rivets?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up an Istanbul Mehmet Mikael Z with 3 rivets and it is truly incredible sounding cymbal. I haven't heard non-riveted examples of this model in person, and it got me wondering on the selection process.
take the rivets out to hear the non-riveted example
-or is it two different builds? (one rivet model one without rivet model) not usually..

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does a cymbal need to sound better than average to warrant factory rivets?
I don't think that comes into the equation
I don't think that "better" is part of it.

It's usually a weight thing. (unless it's a Chinese Swish Knocker)
it's a Moderate to moderate weight cymbal -Rides- that get the rivets

sometimes a hi hat top or bottom

Latest posts