Cymbal sell off?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Question

What is the general consensus here at DFO?

I have 7 rides, 2 crashes and 3 sets of hi hats, 2 snares and some drum heads to sell/trade.
(Maybe more)

Would you rather I do 15 individual Ads or 1 big one like I did before?

Frankly it was a TON of time on my end once things starting selling mostly keeping track of who contacted first. Then going to PO a million times for quotes...etc.

Im thinking it might be easy to keep track if
1. I include shipping in the price?
2. I do individual ads?

BUT..MOST IMPORTANTLY,
I DON'T WANT TO CLOG UP THE FOR SALE SECTION

Thoughts?

Im pretty open minded. I am content and at peace with offering very low prices and came to terms mentally that I will be "losing " money to "gain" money. Im not out to MAKE a profit because the market is anorexic right now but im choosing to sell now for various reasons.

Thanks for your input.

I also am contemplating making a "killers drum and cymbal store " over at Reverb.

Thoughts?

Also do you like videos alone or videos PLUS pics?

I really respect you all here.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another option is to go in phases.
A few things once a month Keeps it "simple"

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
  • One big listing; prices include shipping.
  • Lower prices for "sets" if you've got them.
  • Once you're down to the last few that are slower to sell, do some individual ads.
  • Videos AND pics.
  • Make a Google Photos album and put all your photos and videos in there in an orderly arrangement.
  • Use your PMs or email but not both. Responses in the thread are not offers. The deal is started when someone says, "I'll take it" and then give them a short but reasonable time to pay for it. If people are trustworthy but really need time to pay for something, that's fine if you can live with it.

I've got ADHD pretty bad and this system has been really helpful in getting it all done.

I'm going to do something like this pretty soon, too.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Fyi..fwiw..keep this a secret...

I am thinking if a CAN sell these off Ill have enough to buy a 20" old K. Thats my secret goal just between you and me.

But Im also willing to find one of those modern 20" cymbals that in a blindfold test with an old k...you wouldn't be able to tell which one is the old K.
They exist IF you can find it.

I think my paiste masters dark crisp could pass as an old k ...but I haven't had a chance to gig it

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
There’s a big difference between a modern cymbal that is indistinguishable from an old K in a sound file, versus a modern cymbal that is indistinguishable from an old K on the bandstand.
True and therefore I watch your old and agop videos

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Fyi..fwiw..keep this a secret...

I am thinking if a CAN sell these off Ill have enough to buy a 20" old K. Thats my secret goal just between you and me.

But Im also willing to find one of those modern 20" cymbals that in a blindfold test with an old k...you wouldn't be able to tell which one is the old K.

I think my paiste masters dark crisp could pass as an old k ...but I haven't had a chance to gig it
I think you'll be pleased with the Paiste. I've used it on tons of straight ahead gigs and it sounds fabulous in that context and elsewhere.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you'll be pleased with the Paiste. I've used it on tons of straight ahead gigs and it sounds fabulous in that context and elsewhere.
Yeah. I think so too. Sound "too heavy" by itself. Better on my video. And Im thinking even better on the gig.
Takes a little finesse when crashing

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth...a video with good sound is all I need. No pics necessary unless there is some feature (tape marks or damage) that really necessitates photos. Weight always of interest of course and whether a specific cymbal was owned and played by Philly, Elvin, Buddy or A.T. :)

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tom, I like Neil Perts' Idea as well. However the idea of a Reverb store sounds like it would be somewhat easy as well.... One post here on DFO " hey check out my reverb listings " and then bump that weekly ? You have to do you... And frankly you have to sometimes set ground rules ie: PM through DFO or Reverb ONLY ...posts in the thread will not be returned.... Sound harsh but it keeps you from having to jump to three or four different places to track info etc...one or two clear lines of communication, 48 hrs to pay etc etc... Keeps honest people honest. I cannot wait to see what you're posting! :cool:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tom, I like Neil Perts' Idea as well. However the idea of a Reverb store sounds like it would be somewhat easy as well.... One post here on DFO " hey check out my reverb listings " and then bump that weekly ? You have to do you... And frankly you have to sometimes set ground rules ie: PM through DFO or Reverb ONLY ...posts in the thread will not be returned.... Sound harsh but it keeps you from having to jump to three or four different places to track info etc...one or two clear lines of communication, 48 hrs to pay etc etc... Keeps honest people honest. I cannot wait to see what you're posting! :cool:
Thanks

deegeebee

Reaction score
  • One big listing; prices include shipping.
  • Lower prices for "sets" if you've got them.
  • Once you're down to the last few that are slower to sell, do some individual ads.
  • Videos AND pics.
  • Make a Google Photos album and put all your photos and videos in there in an orderly arrangement.
  • Use your PMs or email but not both. Responses in the thread are not offers. The deal is started when someone says, "I'll take it" and then give them a short but reasonable time to pay for it. If people are trustworthy but really need time to pay for something, that's fine if you can live with it.

I've got ADHD pretty bad and this system has been really helpful in getting it all done.

I'm going to do something like this pretty soon, too.
Another option that has been great for me is making a shipnerd.com account. Not sure what the savings are like compared to a fedex account for shipping within the US, but has been huge for shipping between Canada and US, especially for larger items.

At least worth looking into if you are planning another "great sell-off".

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another option that has been great for me is making a shipnerd.com account. Not sure what the savings are like compared to a fedex account for shipping within the US, but has been huge for shipping between Canada and US, especially for larger items.

At least worth looking into if you are planning another "great sell-off".
Thanks. Ill check it out

ggmerino

Reaction score
Let me know (just me) if you find that cymbal! I think some cymbalsmiths have that K new stamp and intermediate stamp -type sound down (e.g., Craig Lauritsen), but haven't found anything like an old stamp (except an old stamp).

Nice video of a ridiculous number of sweet old K rides:

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Found one. I bought a 20" Pre-aged dry light ...1960 grams.

ITs buttery old k. Beautiful icey stick over subtle wash

Got it from reverb cheap!

Coming next week

Latest posts