Cymbal set at tonal opposite end of spectrum

Cymbal set at tonal opposite end of spectrum relative to Zildjian K Custom Dark

• Istanbul Mehmet Samatya set

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Talisker10yr

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently am playing a set of Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals (14s, 16, 18, 20), which have been outstanding and absolutely perfect for my style and most genres that I play. Yet, I am considering purchasing a 2nd set of cymbals on the tonal opposite end of the spectrum to mix and match, and when playing other styles of music. Preferably a versatile set with a different pitch. While I have been scouring the used market, I am also considering a new cymbal pack in the mid price range. Some set (4+ cymbals) options I am considering are the Istanbul Agop Xist (standard/natural), Istanbul Mehmet Samatya, and the Sabian XSR. Can anyone share thoughts re: recommendations for my objectives?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
It seems like the tonal opposite to yours would be Paiste B8 stuff, 2002s and so on.

Swiss shimmer versus Turkish butter.

But maybe I'm not understanding the spectrum you're describing.

Edit: Hey, welcome to the forum! And let's hear it for the Isle of Skye!

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
Since the K Customs are sort of middle ground, not really thin/dark, not really bright, it's not easy to name an "opposite" kind of sound. They're a bit on the low-pitched side, with rather long sustain, rather sweet, smooth, sophisticated. With an all-K Custom set I would maybe miss a bit of dirt/trash or grit, some spice. I would try to find single cymbals you could add to your set.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Immediate reaction:

2002s (can be used as rides in a pinch)
Giant Beats (a little more rideable)
Formula 602s (definitely very rideable)

If you want to maintain a little bit of the complexity / trash of the K Customs, I'd like at Formula 602 Modern Essentials.

Talisker10yr

Reaction score
It seems like the tonal opposite to yours would be Paiste B8 stuff, 2002s and so on.

Bright shimmer versus Turkish butter.

But maybe I'm not understanding the spectrum you're describing.

Edit: Hey, welcome to the forum! And let's hear it for the Isle of Skye!

I should probably clarify my earlier statements. I am thinking brighter, higher pitched. I'm not sure how low the K Custom Darks are in the full cymbal spectrum (which can really run the gamut, including stuff I've never had the opportunity to play). I certainly would not need something at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. But I do want more versatility in my cymbal collection that I have now, FWIW. And I prefer to stay w/ B20 bronze, if possible.

Thank you for the warm welcome! May a dram be with you!

Last edited:

Talisker10yr

Reaction score
Welcome!
Since the K Customs are sort of middle ground, not really thin/dark, not really bright, it's not easy to name an "opposite" kind of sound. They're a bit on the low-pitched side, with rather long sustain, rather sweet, smooth, sophisticated. With an all-K Custom set I would maybe miss a bit of dirt/trash or grit, some spice. I would try to find single cymbals you could add to your set.

Thank you!

Out of curiosity as well as a better personal understanding of the range of cymbals being produced, where would you place the K Custom Dark cymbals in the tonal spectrum from 1-10 with 5 being middle of the road? Probably not easy (or possible?) to answer, since there are several characteristics involved in tone. But feel free to take a stab if you are able. Maybe isolating to pitch would be easier to answer.

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of the ones you listed I’d recommend the Xist. I have some and love them. They aren’t expensive and have a nice and bright character without being too abrasive/harsh. I’d also suggest going to a local drum store if possible and take your cymbals to compare.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Z customs for hi hats and heavier Rock and Medium A and AA’s are pretty cheap used for B20 bronze, thats the direction I’ve been building attempting to get a setup at the opposite end of the spectrum from thin vintage A’s

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agop Turk = 10
Z Custom = 1

K Custom Dark = 5

On this scale, I would say cymbals rating a 1 or 2, or 9 or 10 are "niche" cymbals and not for general purpose use. With that said, and sticking with B20, I'd recommend Paiste 602's, which I'd put at around a 3.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say K Custom Darks, regardless of the name, are pretty middle-of-the road kind of cymbals. They have a different feel than others due to he way they are hammered, lathed, and then hammered again, but that doesn't make them extreme in my mind. I just wouldn't go on a search for new cymbal sounds using those ideas of polar opposites or scals from 1 to 10.
IMO ou need to find out what you personally are missing ith your current cymbals, and be more specific: shorter or longer decay? drier or more sibilance? Higher or lower wash/pitch? More or less wash vs. ping?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agop Turk = 10
Z Custom = 1

K Custom Dark = 5

On this scale, I would say cymbals rating a 1 or 2, or 9 or 10 are "niche" cymbals and not for general purpose use. With that said, and sticking with B20, I'd recommend Paiste 602's, which I'd put at around a 3.
I basically agree with this, but the Z custom bottom hi hat is surprisingly versatile to pair with different tops for some extra cut and chick sound

2oo2

Reaction score
Agop’s Xist would fit the bill, the heavier crashes sound really impressive, bright but balanced. Now if you want a truly piercing high-pitched sound you could go for A Custom Projections, those are indeed beyond the spectrum!

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me the KCD are medium in brightness but rather clunky. I'd recommend Paiste 2002 which are bright but very pure sounding.

poco rit.

Reaction score
Looking for a midrange cymbal pack leads me to believe that you are on a tight budget. If so, just stick with the K’s. They are great and will get you paid. But if you got money to blow maybe get a used 22” of something and if you like it try another pie in the line before getting a whole pack

Talisker10yr

Reaction score
Agop Turk = 10
Z Custom = 1

K Custom Dark = 5

Excellent choice and exactly where I want to be in terms brightness and versatility. Not extreme and B20 bronze. If not for the exorbitant price, I would have that at or near the top of my list.

With price being a factor, I was able to quote the following and was curious about everyone's thoughts considering the price points available.

Istanbul Mehmet Samatya set (14s, 16, 18, 20 in brilliant finish + bag): $519
Istanbul Mehmet Blackbell set (15s, 18, 23 + bag in natural OR brilliant + bag): $749
Istanbul Mehmet Traditional set (14s medium, 16 medium, 20 medium): $581
Istanbul Agop Xist set (14s, 16, 18, 20 in brilliant finish + bag) set: $550
Istanbul Agop Xist set (14, 16, 20 in traditional finish + bag) : $561
Sabian AAX set (14s medium, 16 and 18 thin, 21 medium in brilliant finish): $725
Sabian XSR set (14s, 16, 18, 20 in brilliant finish): $630
Zildjian A Sweet Ride set (14s New Beat, 16 medium thin, 18 medium thin, 21 Sweet in traditional finish): $759

Feel free to chime in w/ alternatives.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Talisker10yr

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say K Custom Darks, regardless of the name, are pretty middle-of-the road kind of cymbals. They have a different feel than others due to he way they are hammered, lathed, and then hammered again, but that doesn't make them extreme in my mind. I just wouldn't go on a search for new cymbal sounds using those ideas of polar opposites or scals from 1 to 10.
IMO ou need to find out what you personally are missing ith your current cymbals, and be more specific: shorter or longer decay? drier or more sibilance? Higher or lower wash/pitch? More or less wash vs. ping?

Excellent point. I do plan to go to my local drum shop and compare my existing K Custom Darks to what they have in inventory (which is a very good selection, I might add, and likely includes all from my above list minus the Samatyas). I am certainly going to find contrasts and search for the sound I like, but of course this post is more about seeking what jives with you all. :cool:

chakosticks

Reaction score
Tonal opposite of K Custom Dark would be Paiste Signature or Sound Formula, the latter of which you can find great bargains on used. I own sets of both K Custom Dark and Paiste Sound Formula for the very reason you're asking, tonal opposites.