Cymbal storage

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have all my cymbals in several cymbal bags and cases - probably about 8 or 9 of them. All the HHs are in a cardboard box. They are all on the bottom shelf of a big rack/shelf. BUT I have stuff stored in front of it as well, including a guitar cab (stack). It's just ridiculous.

I recall in the cymbal room at the local GuitarCenter is a rack that could be home-made it looks so industrial. It is like a cage/rack thing - with a steel lid. Lid is not the best word, as it is just bars, but it must be unlocked and opened to access the cymbals.

I have a big wooden chest (yes it is tall enough) that I am considering converting into a cymbal box. I would build vertical slots, though maybe angled.

I have alot of great cymbals - a great variety for just about any sound you would want. But, I rarely switch them out - and it is just stupid and frustrating.

("In a related story.......")I was close to buying a (significantly larger) house last fall - but in the process we discovered my Debt to Income ratio was shot and I did not qualify, despite qualifying in every other way.

Has anyone built (or even bought) some _______________ in order to store your cymbals? Please share!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm interested in this idea, too. I have several cymbal bags, but I can't seem to get "organized".

Dan

michiganice91

Reaction score
I use cymbal trees leftover from store displays. They work fantastically well. I also saw this display rack design at the hollywood drum show that I thought was a very simple and easy way to store cymbals.....if you're handy at woodworking :D

REF

Reaction score
I just made a simple bin for mine. They're all in a closet now. Got tired of bags and cases. All my splashes and accent cymbals are in a 10" snare drum case. I'm going to build a much more functional rack when I build the music room, if I ever do. I miss my barn.

cymbal bin.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I want to apologize to you all - seems a search here for previous discussions yields alot of ideas.
This very simple design yields alot of vertical space use and options for 1 2 or 3 of these, placed in various locations in the room if needed/desired.
I will likely install vertical roller shades though, or doors - to enclose so as to prevent dust.
Just like when we cover our stacked drums - not trying to hide anything....just prevent dust and wrap fade (long hours of sunlight is the enemy).

Thank you for the many ideas. In fact - will be incorporating several ideas when I build mine.

Attachments

Reactions: REF

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
closed door - what did you say blinds?- Dust won't hurt. No air circulating may promote green corrosion, spots and sheeet. That's all
....even if it is a controlled environment......never over 70 degrees and humidity always between 30-60%?
I have never had green growage on any cymbals in my 30+ years. Noteable that I have always stored them in cymbal bags/ plastic 'vaults'. Not trying to be argumentative at all....just that I have never heard of cymbals greenifying in absence of airflow....and trying to understand/potentially learn something here.

egw

Reaction score
I also used to store all my cymbals in bags, but when that became insufficient, I built this thing with scrap wood I had lying around. Cost me next to nothing. It's very secure and sits neatly right underneath my electronic kit.

DSC_0038.JPG

REF

Reaction score
FrontRangeBronze.com used to sell them and many cymbalholics bot then. 10+years ago.
Excellent. Indispensable. Pics of mine this very second
The pipe insulation is a nice idea. Did you use pipe or closet rod/dowels?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Did you use pipe or closet rod/dowels?
I bought from FrontRangeBronze.com pre-made. At one time like I said- Chris had various sizes. So, I didn't use anything. I bought. Pre-Made specifically for cymbal and cymbal /snare storage from Chris. He's not in the business of selling them anymore

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
Yes. Sorry. Should have said, "What did they use?"

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't really look at it up close much; one of those things where it's well-built, and just leave it be. I never mentally /physically/ or in any way/ took it apart. I barely remember assembling it when it was shipped from colorado . It was that long ago. It's a beautiful piece of work. A shame they are so hard to find something similar. I can't help except for that guy that has instruction of how to build your own.
No there's metal screws in it- if I recall- ..not all-dowel...It's strong Kind of A-frame shaped 14s and little cyms on top Bigger cymbals on the bottom. Actually this model I think Snares were supposed to go top and cymbals on bottom. But for me it's all cymbals -use- only.
Ask cymbalsonly.com if he has any source.

Last edited: