Cymbal Transforming

jwilly

Reaction score
I have discovered that I can really transform/enhance cymbals to make the sound I need out of cheap cymbals by turning them into ozone cymbals, taking out cracks, sandblasting, or hammering them. What if I could take people's broken or boring cymbals and turn them into something great for just a few bucks? Is there potential money to be made here?

Please everyone let me know your thoughts, if someone could actually do a good job with this and has the necessary experience, would you pay someone just like $30 to repair your cymbals, or turn them into something awesome sounding such as a new hammered pattern or an ozone?

Has anyone ever tried something like this before? Were they successful?

Mind you this is for people who can't afford to buy a new expensive cymbal everytime they want something better than the plane lower end cymbals.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a few people on Ebay doing that. Look for a thread in the Cymbals forum here about a "zombie cymbal". If your work looks classy, a few people may pay for it. Remember the cost of postage. Say your price is $30, and postage is $30, and somebody can buy a B8 with holes in it for $60 with free shipping from Amazon or MF... Just stuff to consider.

SteveDilksDrums

Reaction score
I've gotten pretty good at fixing cracked cymbals or hand hammering and drilling some of my own unusable cymbals to make great new sounds for my kit. I mostly use them for recording but I'm also working on refinishing my set of playing/gigging cymbals, most are Zildjian A Customs. I'm stripping them right down, no protective coating and no more logos. I might patina a few of them but overall I like the sound so I'm mostly doing cosmetic work on them.

Back to the point. I've thought of turning it into a business but it's really something that I would keep local. Then people can come to your place, let you know what their looking for and as you do work on the cymbal they can pop by and check out the results. Even cymbal repair would be something you could offer locally. Maybe approach local drum shops or music stores to see if they get a lot of drummers that are looking for cymbal modification and repair. That may give you a better idea if its something that's worth giving a go. I've done 1 cymbal for a friend. It was a simple sanding and some hammering close to the bell to rid the cymbal of its extremely bright overtones. He was happy and said he would have paid me for the work but I did it for free as this is just a hobby for me.

Like bongomania said, shipping costs make this a hard go online unless your work is extremely reputable and you can charge a decent amount to really alter a cymbal. If your looking for some ideas and techniques check out The Cymbal Project series on Youtube. Lance does a lot of experimenting and shows you both positive and negative results to altering cymbals. You'll learn a lot about how certain things change the tonal qualities of the cymbals. I know I did!

https://www.youtube.com/user/LanceCampeau

Cheers!