header.nohb.html

Cymbal weight discrepancy

rtown

Reaction score
Just received a 60s Zildjian A 18" crash in the mail from an ebay purchase. Was advertised as 1400g. Weighs 1646g on my scale. Was looking for something a little lighter than my 1450g crash. A few grams off? No biggie. But this is half a pound.

I want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and I still need to play the thing. Might be a keeper anyway and wasn't a bad price. Very good condition. Just brighter than I expected or was looking for. I guess it's a roll of the dice no matter what unless you buy locally or seller has a video demo.

Would you make a stink?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I'm very particular about cymbal weights, not only because of the way they sound, but the way they feel under the stick (inertial mass). A 1646 g 18" is a whole different beast than a 1400 g 18".

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I didn’t like it, then for sure. I think it’s totally fair to ask for a refund/send it back.

rtown

Reaction score
Definitely. I'm very particular about cymbal weights, not only because of the way they sound, but the way they feel under the stick (inertial mass). A 1646 g 18" is a whole different beast than a 1400 g 18".
Yeah, very good point on the feel. I was loving the feel and darkness of the 1450g 18". That's why I was looking for something similar. Because it's got a couple cracks on the bell.

rtown

Reaction score
If I didn’t like it, then for sure. I think it’s totally fair to ask for a refund/send it back.
I figure I'll give it a shot this weekend with my band to see how it is in the mix before I decide. I plan to collect a lot of various vintage As, so very good chance I won't want to return it if it fills a purpose.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's happened to me several times on EBay. And every time I raised a "stink" the cymbal was considerably heavier than listed. And each time I was given compensation or a full
return at seller's expense. One time I ordered a medium thin 22" 50's ride cymbal at around 2300 gm and I received one about 400 gm heavier. Huge difference. Since the cymbal
was decent and very clean, we agreed on the price of return shipping which was about $30. I surely wouldn't have ordered the cymbal if the weight was accurate. And you can be
sure that seller will pay close attention next time they weigh something.

You can ask for a photo-copy of the shipping weight on the drop-off receipt. That should have the exact
weight of the package - and the weight of the cymbals at the time of shipping can be found by deducting the box+packaging weight. The Shipping Co. scales and tapes are usually more accurate
than Joe Public's scale. But not always. One time my local Post Office gave me a much higher price than expected on shipping a big cymbal 1500 miles. I asked them to show me what they did. And then
I noticed their "magic" tape measure with the first 3 inches missing on it. They were starting at 3" to measure packages....and my 22" box measured out as 25"....lol.

You received cymbals not as described. You wouldn't have ordered them if the weight was accurate.
The difference in weight is worth some reduction in value....typically 10% or more. Why should you have to accept something less
because the seller doesn't know how to use a scale properly or accurately? At least request return shipping costs because you can bet
they don't want to have pay return shipping only to re-list them again at the higher weight....and accept less for it. If you don't do anything
the seller will do this again.....whether by ignorance or deliberately. And you can still leave them appropriate FB for not providing an accurate weight.

To ensure your scale is dead on I'd suggest getting bags/cans/bottles of liquid/food/grains in the 1 lb, 2 lb, 4 lb, and 8 lb ranges. Quart, half gallon, and gallon water jugs work great.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I once bought a 20 trans stamp listed at around 2000g and when it showed up as a 22 at 2000g man was I mad!

I'd have been quite happy with that result.

One time I ordered a 26" UK-made 60's cymbal. Turned out it was only 24". The seller had gone by the size of the 26" cymbal bag to "size" the cymbal. Sheesh! I liked that 24" and I got money back because of the difference. It's not often you get "bigger" cymbals than you ordered. It's only happened one time to me on EBay/Reverb.....a 23" 50's A showed up instead of a 22.....and that was on a "cracked" cymbal....so really no benefit.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have been quite happy with that result.

One time I ordered a 26" UK-made 60's cymbal. Turned out it was only 24". The seller had gone by the size of the 26" cymbal bag to "size" the cymbal. Sheesh! I liked that 24" and I got money back because of the difference. It's not often you get "bigger" cymbals than you ordered. It's only happened one time to me on EBay/Reverb.....a 23" 50's A showed up instead of a 22.....and that was on a "cracked" cymbal....so really no benefit.
I was being sarcastic! I was like thank god this guy didn’t know how to measure !

rtown

Reaction score
You received cymbals not as described. You wouldn't have ordered them if the weight was accurate.
The difference in weight is worth some reduction in value....typically 10% or more. Why should you have to accept something less
because the seller doesn't know how to use a scale properly or accurately? At least request return shipping costs because you can bet
they don't want to have pay return shipping only to re-list them again at the higher weight....and accept less for it. If you don't do anything
the seller will do this again.....whether by ignorance or deliberately. And you can still leave them appropriate FB for not providing an accurate weight.
Totally agree. I was being too nice at first, but it started to irk me more and more. Anyway, I offered to keep it for a $50 refund and the seller accepted and processed it already.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Totally agree. I was being too nice at first, but it started to irk me more and more. Anyway, I offered to keep it for a $50 refund and the seller accepted and processed it already.

Excellent. That's the way to do it. In most cases they don't want it back. And 90% of the time getting at least shipping back is pretty easy. Though I've had a couple
EBay sellers who were adamant about me "not scamming" them after the sale and refused to refund even a dime on their error(s).

I just give the sellers an option of a full return or partial refund....whatever they feel best about it.