Cymbal:You can only have one choice. Right now, which is your favorite ride you own?

markkarj

Reaction score
Of my own collection and for general purposes, I have a 24" Sabian AA prototype... like a Giant Beat, but sort of more "full".

If I could choose another, I'd probably go with a 22" A Custom. They feel very supple to me, and neither too light nor dark.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Came into a really nice 22" K Custom Dark a few weeks ago. 2590g. So far, have used it on several of both rock and jazz gigs and it does everything well. Low-mid pitch, some complexity, a little tangy on top, lots of warmth and body underneath. Digging it.
Ooooh. "Tangy".
Like special sauce?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love my 21 K Sweet. I kinda wish I had the 23, but I don't, so the 21 remains my fav for now.

I am very interested in the k sweet. I recently bought a large stamp 21" A and its beautiful, but it lacks the stick I need for what I want to do with it. Thinking about a k sweet.
I started a thread a while back asking about the 23", but didn't get a ton of feedback. Why are you looking for a 23"?

rsmittee

Reaction score
I am very interested in the k sweet. I recently bought a large stamp 21" A and its beautiful, but it lacks the stick I need for what I want to do with it. Thinking about a k sweet.
I started a thread a while back asking about the 23", but didn't get a ton of feedback. Why are you looking for a 23"?
They have a 23 in the studio where I record frequently, and no matter what I bring with me, I ALWAYS end up playing that 23. It just sounds amazing. It's got great clear stick definition. It's dark without being trashy. You can crash on it. It doesn't wash out when you play more intricate parts on it. I don't know. Cymbal sounds are hard to describe (for me) but that particular cymbal is exactly what I expect a ride to sound like. The LDS had a nice 21, so I bought it thinking it'd be as good as the 23, but it's not quite the same animal.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have a 23 in the studio where I record frequently, and no matter what I bring with me, I ALWAYS end up playing that 23. It just sounds amazing. It's got great clear stick definition. It's dark without being trashy. You can crash on it. It doesn't wash out when you play more intricate parts on it. I don't know. Cymbal sounds are hard to describe (for me) but that particular cymbal is exactly what I expect a ride to sound like. The LDS had a nice 21, so I bought it thinking it'd be as good as the 23, but it's not quite the same animal.
Do the K sweets vary in weight like the A sweets? How much does your 21" weigh?

DrumPhil

Reaction score
20” K Custom Dark Ride. Had it since 2007. Would never consider selling this cymbal

I have several rides that do different things for me, but my 20KCDR could truly be my only ride and I would be happy. I don't recall exactly when I bought it, early 2000s I think, but for many years it actually was the only ride I owned.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several rides that do different things for me, but my 20KCDR could truly be my only ride and I would be happy. I don't recall exactly when I bought it, early 2000s I think, but for many years it actually was the only ride I owned.
I remember it vividly because I saved up my first few big boy checks after high school, and bought KCD 20” ride and 14” hats brand new. Along with a Tama Warlord Valkyrie. Those three things I still have and use regularly.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
24” Avedis Zildjian block stamp. It’s 3600 grams of 1950’s perfection.

2BB79E55-6D81-48F0-AADE-43315A2BC93B.png

Last edited:

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This. 20" Paiste, sold as a "prototype," but as far as I can tell it's basically a Sig Dark Dry ride. From what I've seen the guys who own them tend to keep them. You never, ever see them up for sale on the used cymbal market - and this one isn't going anywhere, either.

20_Dark_Dry_Proto.jpg

20_Dark_Dry_Proto_2.jpg

Last edited:

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pre-serial 23" that, judging by the weight, is also a Medium (29xx g). It is a great, great cymbal.

Do you know the weight of yours? Does it still have any ink on it? Thx
@TPC I miss that ride so badly LOL. Why did I ever sell it?

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha! You have the right of first refusal!

(Translation, it ain’t going anywhere.)
Thats very kind of you. I'm just glad I put a sound file on YT to remember how nice it was. I think I have a much bigger appreciation for a washy ride nowadays. Crazy how tastes change.

Reactions: TPC