Cymbals 26" and up

JCW

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I had the house to myself earlier and was seeing how loud I could get mine. Pretty amazing how well it crashes, even at that size. I want a whole set of GBs now.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I had the house to myself earlier and was seeing how loud I could get mine. Pretty amazing how well it crashes, even at that size. I want a whole set of GBs now.
This one roars. You get your ping playing closer to the bell, but there is still a roar that brews from playing it. I want to play a kit with a 20” floor tom when I play this cymbal! I do have a gong bass set up as a floor tom on one kit.

I want a cymbal case for this ‘cos I want to gig this beast!!!!

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone of you guys that own 26-30" ride cymbals play them with a band? What do your bandmates have to say about these giant cymbals? Don't they drown out any other instruments in the rehearsal room?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone of you guys that own 26-30" ride cymbals play them with a band? What do your bandmates have to say about these giant cymbals? Don't they drown out any other instruments in the rehearsal room?
That is a very good question. Admittedly, my 26” GB would NEVER be in a rehearsal room. I play with L80 cymbals in rehearsals. I rehearse with very quiet things. When I set up my rehearsal space, guitars go through my Eleven rack and bass with a direct pedal into the PA. Rehearsal is not the place to get loud. The only place I would do loud rehearsal would be if the VFW hall I am playing would let us do sound check the morning before the gig.

Admittedly as well, this cymbal is probably best for heavy rock where we’re playing with dimed Marshalls. She is loud and proud and likes to roar! Maybe big band. This is not a cymbal for an acoustic jazz trio. In fact, I will be not the first person to say that the practical applications for this cymbal are limited. But it is a 26” cymbal, what is NOT to like?

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And yes- Sweetwater literally got my Gigantic GB to my hands in two days on a Sunday! It was quoted Wednesday!

JCW

Reaction score
My drumming all takes place in my office in my house--I've only ever played guitar in bands. But having been at home for most of the past six months and playing mostly drums in that time, I feel like I've practiced enough to confidently play drums in a band now, and said hypothetical band would definitely be of the Ampeg 8x10 and Marshall half-stack variety, where the 26" GB could do its loudest and nastiest work. But I think it could still do quiet practice, and even jazz--it'll spang-a-lang fine if you tell it to.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My drumming all takes place in my office in my house--I've only ever played guitar in bands. But having been at home for most of the past six months and playing mostly drums in that time, I feel like I've practiced enough to confidently play drums in a band now, and said hypothetical band would definitely be of the Ampeg 8x10 and Marshall half-stack variety, where the 26" GB could do its loudest and nastiest work. But I think it could still do quiet practice, and even jazz--it'll spang-a-lang fine if you tell it to.
There will be limitations to a 26” GB, but why do I have a feeling that making it versatile will be my newest challenge?

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 26" Agop Sig that I just love. I bought it for the sound, not the novelty. I also have a Soultone that I traded for. I'd show you pictures but I can't take them out without knocking something over.

Inevitably someone will ask, so I'll just post this here: https://www.amazon.com/bicycle-wheel-bag/s?k=bicycle+wheel+bag
Why didn’t I think of that?!? I have two Campy wheel bags in my garage. One is holding a rare and UCI illegal Spinergy Rev-X wheel. The other has a shallow section unbuilt rim.

Hmmm...

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why didn’t I think of that?!? I have two Campy wheel bags in my garage. One is holding a rare and UCI illegal Spinergy Rev-X wheel. The other has a shallow section unbuilt rim.

Hmmm...
It's a less exciting revelation now that you can get big bags from Cymbalsonly.com. But I was psyched when I found them.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a one of a kind 26" ride made a few years back by master Cymbalsmith Matt Bettis. Before it was sold I had it for a moment to demo for Matt. It's a Reverse China Novo. From the outside edge of the bell the profile rises until the raised flange half way to the edge where it slops down to the outside edge. I don't have a glue how the hell he made this. He did other Novo Chinas for a very short time but this was the only 26" and I think the only Turk top.

It has 5 playing surfaces that I tried to highlight in the demo. The bell, just outside the bell, top of the flange, outer surface beyond the flange and the edge.