Cymbals In Modern Rock Mixes

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sad part is it should be possible for one file to carry multiple mixes, not unlike how an image file can carry multiple processings via layers. Or, alternatively, carry mapping information so the mix can be varied on the fly based on a profile of the playback device.
Interesting point. Might boost the cost though if there are several mixes. On my old home system there were several different mix settings, but that's after the fact and isn't really going to effect the core mix. What you are proposing is the flip of that. Or, maybe the solution is at both ends?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The sad part is it should be possible for one file to carry multiple mixes, not unlike how an image file can carry multiple processings via layers. Or, alternatively, carry mapping information so the mix can be varied on the fly based on a profile of the playback device.
I'd like to think that someone could earn a lot of money from that idea.

PaulD

Reaction score
Interesting point. Might boost the cost though if there are several mixes. On my old home system there were several different mix settings, but that's after the fact and isn't really going to effect the core mix. What you are proposing is the flip of that. Or, maybe the solution is at both ends?
Well, I have a CS degree but I'll admit, I'm a bit out of my element in this area. That said, it could be either though I'm not sure what the better implementation would be. If the digital music file contained mapping information, standards on the processing end could use that to remix to the profile of the device. So it'd be compressed for earbuds and high dynamic range when played through a real, good, home stereo (DAC, big amp, B&W speakers, etc). It might also not require a person in the studio to do multiple mixes. The compressed mix could be done via software though a person may well want to be able to second guess that secondary mix.

Of course, this would all mean fighting an entrenched standard (mp3) and that's always a giant PITA. It also means the recording industry only has a chance to sell you one copy of a song instead of multiple.

Anyway, I'm sure there are people out there with a lot more experience than me in this area who can point out the problems with this idea.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Cymbal makers are probably saying, "no no this can't be happening, you guys need more cymbals in your mix."

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could you imagine if drummers just showed up for their recording sessions without any cymbals? Hahahah......
But we have to be passive aggressive about it. "Whatever, you're just going to bury them in the mix any way" *shrugs shoulders, dejectedly drop hands*

Burps

Reaction score
I saw a local somewhat bluesy band last Saturday (the band was great, BTW) but was disappointed with the live cymbal mix. I could barely hear the hi-hat or ride cymbal. The only time I could hear the cymbals clearly was the endings when they would do their wall of sound build up with the crashes going SHHHHHHHHHHHH. I got their CD. Same thing! Cymbals were buried. :disgust:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw a local somewhat bluesy band last Saturday (the band was great, BTW) but was disappointed with the live cymbal mix. I could barely hear the hi-hat or ride cymbal. The only time I could hear the cymbals clearly was the endings when they would do their wall of sound build up with the crashes going SHHHHHHHHHHHH. I got their CD. Same thing! Cymbals were buried. :disgust:
I have a old thread about this very thing. “ Dude, I cant hear your cymbals “

bleen

Reaction score
I'm producing a couple of "modern rock" bands right now and the cymbals are very present in their mixes even after mastering; I just played on a track for an upcoming Trey Gunn release and there are PLENTY of cymbals in the mix. This is NOT an issue with MP3s/compression/mastering/etc.

Latest posts