Cymbals mixed low in modern rock recordings.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's not quite the same thing, but when my band jams the guys usually set out their phones to record and then will text them to each other. Almost every song is overpowered by the cymbals. I could be contributing to the issue although I consciously try to play the cymbals lightly, but I feel the phone mics just pick up the frequencies of the cymbals more.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
...The fact is, a great drum set sound comes from the overhead mic's...
This right here. I record my drums here in my home studio — a large bedroom with minimal absorption and no other acoustic treatments — and about 75% of my drumset's overall sound comes from my overheads (AKG C214s). I dial-in the bass drum mics (AKG D112s) and tom mics (AKG D6s) until the mix duplicates the way the drums sound in the room. No snare mic, no hi-hat mic. However, this mix technique only really works if the drumset is properly tuned and if the drummer plays with a musical touch. I use smaller, thinner crash cymbals (A's and K's), so even when I crash them fully they don't overpower the drums in the mix, but if I really lay into my ride (a 22" K Zildjian) or play my hats (14" A New Beats) with too much wash I can start to ruin things.

I also have a mic (an AKG D8000) on my 34" Paiste gong because it's too far off-axis from the overheads to come-through properly in the mix.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbals... particularly hihats, are exhausting to have to listen to. In just about any kind of music.

Latest posts