Cymbals that are physically impossible

markkarj

Reaction score
Does anyone have a hankering for a cymbal that may be physically impossible to produce? For example...

I like the maturity of heavier crashes, but I find they're so damn stiff that they almost cause carpal tunnel syndrome. I'd like to have a very long, almost delayed note without having it too much in "ride" territory or killing my hands to play it.

I love my A Custom flat ride and would almost like a crash that has that same quality (or the same kind of shimmer). Of course, the whole point of a flat ride is to not have it turn into a crash without the bell, but I still love that quality.

Any other freaks of nature that you'd want?

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like a belled 20” ride that has the properties of a flat ride with good stick pointillism that doesn’t get all Maytag washy, and can be crashed during a pattern, with the crash opening nicely, like a bag of potato chips after a long diet, then closing down politely to allow room for the stick pattern to take over again.

I’d like it to be able to handle soft volume, but also be articulate enough for those pings to weave around guitars if things go up to choogling at around 6 on a Fender dial.

I’d like it to have a clear bell that chimes like an angel getting her wings.

I’d like it to say “Zildjian” somewhere on it, and have been touched somehow by Paul Francis.

I’d like it to make me sound so good I look taller and more handsome, so much so that people like Cindy Blackman come up to me in between songs and say things like: “Damn, it’s hard to believe such a tall and handsome guy like you has such a deep and tasty pocket. You make me want to come back to Zildjian.”

Except for that last bit, I’d like for the above properties can be found in a Staccato Ride.

tbird8450

Reaction score
To answer somewhat seriously, I'd love a ride that sounds just like Joe Morello's on Take Five without the sonic benefits of 30th Street Studio recording equipment and engineering expertise (Joe's talent and touch also notwithstanding). At first, this doesn't seem like it should be outside the realm of possibility, but I've yet to encounter it in the wild, including with the reissues. The closest I've heard is probably my Formula 602 Medium 20". It has the right ping and the glassy smoothness down, but the tone is off (this should be achievable) and it's lacking that little hint of, umm, maybe not exactly sizzle - magic fairy dust? - which completes the package (perhaps not quite as achievable).

katulu

Reaction score
I want a 48" Paiste RUDE GIGABELL... flatride... made of Signature alloy... with silver/chrome finish.

When I first read the thread, I thought of MC Escher Relativity-style stairs, and maybe a cymbal with that geometry would be cool too.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d want a No Bell Ride, the cymbal that just hovers!

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually have one - a 20" Paiste Signature Rough Ride.
Depending where and how you play it it can sound like a SCDR, an old Turkish K, a China Type or a thunderstorm tearing the corrugated iron roof off a barn... amazing instrument, really unique. Has no right to be able to do what it does but it does...

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someday someone will come up with and actual electric drum set like a Rhodes or electric guitar, where the player plays the actual thing that causes the electric signal. Didn't Kraftwerk make some stuff like that? I think they did, but nobody ran with it, plus they weren't very dynamic.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I want a cymbal with a mind like a diamond
I want a cymbal that knows what's best
I want a cymbal with shoes that cut
And rivets that burn like cigarettes
I want a cymbal with the right allocations
That’s fast, and thorough, and sharp as a tack.
I want a cymbal that gets up early
I want a cymbal that stays up late
I want a cymbal with uninterrupted prosperity with an integrated bell that can cut through red tape

I want a cymbal with a short skirt and a long....long.....jacket

tbird8450

Reaction score
If you find one, please let me know. I've got my eye on a 22" 602 ME ride, and yeah, that price tag is tough to swallow, especially after having picked up a few classic 602s over the past few months.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you find one, please let me know. I've got my eye on a 22" 602 ME ride, and yeah, that price tag is tough to swallow, especially after having picked up a few classic 602s over the past few months.
I'll have to find two then, because I'm buying the first one! :lol:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
After tons of searching and lots of trial and error my impossible cymbal wishlist is a ride cymbal that has stick definition and crashes well. Doesn’t seem like too much to ask but after a dozen or so rides that have come my way I’ve settled on a Paiste signature dry ride. But it’s still an imperfect balance as it does both well enough but neither attributes would I say is “great”

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Haha
Reactions: JDA

genco

Reaction score
I'd love 13" or 14" inch hihats that have the depth and crunch as well as the soft gush feeling of 16" or 17" hats. I once had a pair of New Stamp 13s I never should've sold that really did have this. Of the hundreds of cymbals I've had, they're among those I miss the most.

I've wondered what totally bizarro things could be made thinking of cymbals more like sculpture, with multiple layers and dimensions. Imagine 2 or more cymbals, connected to each other by the bell like, a Pagoda. Like a stack except much more resonant? What would playing the bell tube between each other sound like? They could be made at differing weights so that you can better isolate their sounds while playing the other.

Has anyone made cymbals with multiple bells?

Cymbals with multiple flanges in them?

Or cymbals with spring reverb, either suspended from the bottom surface, built like a bell but with a hollow cavity between the top and bottom surface, and then filled with a varying amount of springs or _____?