Cymbals that cover the middle ground between Crash and China?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste masters 20" dark crash/ride. and its a ride as well.

Reactions: TPC

jsp210

Reaction score
I had a 20" Bosphorus Pang Thang that occupied this niche for me and they are very good but found I had more options using a crashy and trashy Agop ride in that spot. Older Zildjian Pangs are great too.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot about the Pang Thang. I bought two of them at different times, but ended up flipping them because they lacked “something”... musical tone? Focus? I don’t know, but they just weren’t satisfying like an old pang.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As with any cymbal I think its sound depends largely upon music and volume around it. To carry one less cymbal I like 16 or 18'' Sabian AAX Ozones. It can sound like an fx or china or trashy crash.

TPC

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

My Pang Thang is what Im currently using in this spot and it is VERY close to what I'm after. The quick, trashy tone is great, and the pitch matches by current rides very well. This might be as close as I can get, but ...

Has anyone used the Trash Smash?

Other things I'm thinking of trying ...

Z Crash of Doom
Agop Trash Hit (had one and stupidly sold it)

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you like the Pang Thang, you may want to go to Cymbalsonly.com and check out some of the unusual versions that Tony has on the site. Also, ANYTHING can be custom ordered from Bosphorus now through him and with a very short turnaround time.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
How could I forget the Trash Hit? Agreed that those are an excellent option. I sold mine because the sustain was nutso long, so I could only use it in slow tunes. But I bet the sustain would vary between specific examples. You’d have to cherry pick, if that was a concern.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a big cluster crash or a big special dry crash. I've been looking for a trashy cymbal lately, as well.

I've also been curious about those cymbals with the big holes in them for this purpose.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm always on the lookout for a cymbal that covers that middle ground between a crash and a china type. I have a bunch, but I don't think I've found the perfect one yet.

What do you use?
Dream cymbals are cheaper and have a bunch of cymbals that would fit the bill. Just a matter of trying out everything in stock. Also Zildjian made a cymbal that was called "crash of doom" that was fantastic. Istambuls are more expensive but a lot of them have that mojo vibe that you are looking for.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can I infer that you have a dedicated ride that is never crashed, and a dedicated crash that is never ridden? Interesting approach.
Of course I crash my ride. I’m talking about the cross between crash and china. I had an EFX at one point, and there is nothing wrong there. But I sold it, as it was a middle ground type of thing. So I went back to using a swish.

TPC

Reaction score
Dream cymbals are cheaper and have a bunch of cymbals that would fit the bill. Just a matter of trying out everything in stock. Also Zildjian made a cymbal that was called "crash of doom" that was fantastic. Istambuls are more expensive but a lot of them have that mojo vibe that you are looking for.
I've had a boatload of Dreams and sold all but the most "crash-china hybrid" of the bunch, a very early 20" crash-ride, which is the one shown in the photo. In general terms, it fits the bill. In the cymbal-obsessed world of absolute sonic minutae that I inhabit, it's a tad bit too "crashy" and not enough "china-y". It's about a 80/20 split, whereas I'm looking for about a 50/50 split. Splitting hairs ... I know, but that's what obsessives do, try to split hairs. ;)

Crash of Doom is on my list.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some great suggestions here.

I'll add Meinl's Dual Trash Crashes to the list.