Cymbals that cover the middle ground between Crash and China?

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I have a 21" Wuhan Med Thin Crash Ride that works like that.
When wash riding it, the sound is very pleasing, and actually somewhat "sweet" to my ears.
The 20" in that same model I have is a bit more trashy, and doing it again, I would have gone with the Thin instead.
The price is very good on these cymbals as well.

Reactions: TPC

SamuelPepys

Reaction score
Are you referring to a sound similar to the cymbal heard at about 0:03 and 3:05 in Night By Night (Steely Dan)?

TPC

Reaction score
Are you referring to a sound similar to the cymbal heard at about 0:03 and 3:05 in Night By Night (Steely Dan)?
Pretty close, yes. That one's a bit more china than crash to my ears, but definitely in the ballpark.

In my scoring system, that one would be about 25/75 (crash/china), whereas my ideal would be 50/50.

TPC

Reaction score
I have a 21" Wuhan Med Thin Crash Ride that works like that.
When wash riding it, the sound is very pleasing, and actually somewhat "sweet" to my ears.
The 20" in that same model I have is a bit more trashy, and doing it again, I would have gone with the Thin instead.
The price is very good on these cymbals as well.
Good call.

I had an older Wuhan Crash (the one with the unlathed bell). It was very nice for this sound, so, of course, I sold it.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Sabian sound control from the 1980's (?)(red ink labels) did a good job of that (flat edges). Zildjian used the term pang but even those are somewhat gongy, though nowhere near the gonginess of Swishes. I agree it's hard to find a perfect one.
The Sound Control line sounded nothing like China cymbals nor were they designed to . They incorporated the flange to keep the overtones in check . They were pretty and articulate cymbals designed for low to mid volume use and studio use .

owr

Reaction score
Tons of good suggestions here, sounds like you know what you're looking for. I'll pm you a link to a used cymbal Ive had my eyes, keep out the deal-poachers for a bit. I will say though that Ive had an itch for something similiar for some time, but more along the lines of 33/33/33 crash/china/ride and have been planning on getting Bettis to make me something (he doesnt know it yet...) That one that rstrange just posted might put me over the edge.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right on, Ry.

Are those Masters? I thought you were running Trads.
Those are 2oo2 Big Beats. I also have a set of Masters Thins. The Masters Thins do exactly what I wanted the Trads to do and these Big Beats are great for outdoor gigs or venues where I need a little extra juice.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good call. I played an 18" HHXtreme at a rehearsal space years back and it did have some nice china-like trash built in. Maybe 80% crash, 20% trash.
+1
And my 18" Paiste Traditional Extra Thin Crash, in my opinion...

Reaction score
Maybe check out UFIP's chinas, their Class Series Fast China could be something that does the job for you.

TPC

Reaction score
^ That is nice. Yeah - I hear that as right around the 50/50 mark. (Totally subjective, I know, but ...)

Thanks

fenrir

Reaction score
Look out for beaten up Paiste Trad crashes Tom. I have an Extra Thin 20" and a Thin 18" that were beat to sheeet before I acquired them and they sound basically like a softer Paiste Trad Swish.

Latest posts