Cymbals that cover the middle ground between Crash and China?

chevvies

Reaction score
I don't have one, but Steve Hackett's old drummer used a Sabian (?) with Swiss cheese holes and that definitely sounded between the two for me.

Reactions: TPC

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
Having previously tried the Sabian Ozones and Paiste Swiss, I would say either the Zildjian A Custom 20” EFX if you want brighter, or the Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom 20” if you want darker.

they fit much better in the middle of crash and China in my experience

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to recommend a particular model, as I believe the best value when hunting for this is a modern B20 Chinese made crash. Wuhan, Stagg, etc. I have a Stagg that is perfect for this, but I got lucky.

markkarj

Reaction score
I have a Sabian SR2 18" which I'm pretty sure was a Fierce crash in its former life. Seems to do the trick.

I haven't been a huge fan of the Sabian O-Zones as I find they're not very responsive at low volumes. The Zildjian EFXs seem to do better with softer playing. I have a 16" ZHT to which I've added three rivets... nice feel for a cheap cymbal.

cletus72

Reaction score
How about a ZIldjian 20 Crash of Doom, a Stanton Moore Trash Crash (by whoever makes them this month) or the K Cluster?

kpphoto

Reaction score
I love my PAISTE 2002 17" and 20" WILD CRASH! I think its a cool sound - somewhere between a China and a crash. Nice bloom...not too trashy. More CRASH than CHINA.
A newer version is their EXTREME. Great shimmer.

Another weird one is my CARMINE APPICE ddrum shade EFX.
Looks like a lamp shade and attacks like a CHINA. They describe it "between and CHINA and a SPLASH"...Def More CHINA than SPLASH/CRASH... and VERY L O U D for its size.
They make them in 15" and 12".

David M Scott

Reaction score
I'm always on the lookout for a cymbal that covers that middle ground between a crash and a china type. I have a bunch, but I don't think I've found the perfect one yet.

What do you use?
So there so many Cymbals out there it actually boggles the mind. And that makes selection tough. I’m 80 and when I started playing in the early 50s
Cymbals were on the small side and mainly crashy/splashy accent types until the dedicated Ride became popular. I first saw the China in the early 80s as lots of drummers began to them
For their trashy, funky sound. Now it seems a lot of China fans have gone to brighter types and I see Chinas for sale on the web selling sites. There is an alternative however it’s labeled
Dream Vintage Bliss. It’s made in Wuhan China.. yes the Covid-19 City. There is a Wuhan brand but it’s a toy in my estimation.
The Dream line is the trademark of a Canadian company that has Cymbals made in Wuhan to their specs. They have several lines but the
Bliss standard and Vintage both have that distinctive China sound, the standard brighter, the Vintage trashy and more China sound. These are hand hammered Cymbals and have various indentations and even the edges may be slightly imperfect but they do have a unique sound. They are ultra thin and although the sustain is only medium, that thinness cause them to “shimmer” when struck with authority providing for some very different open notes on the dark side.
This past week I noticed on the web site “Best Crash Ride Cymbals for 2020” that the 18inch Vintage Bliss was rated #2. Nice work for a company that is only about 10 years old and from Canada population 37,000,000 ! I have the 20inch model and it is of course a little darker. They are great for brushwork as they can be heard with just the lightest touch. If you go on the Dream website you can not only read about their products but hear a sample and there are some demos on YouTube.
Have a listen.
Cheers

Last edited:

David M Scott

Reaction score
So there so many Cymbals out there it actually boggles the mind. And that makes selection tough. I’m 80 and when I started playing in the early 50s
Cymbals were on the small side and mainly crashy/splashy accent types until the dedicated Ride became popular. I first saw the China in the early 80s as lots of drummers began to them
For their trashy, funky sound. Now it seems a lot of China fans have gone to brighter types and I see Chinas for sale on the web selling sites. There is an alternative however it’s labeled
Dream Vintage Bliss. It’s made in Wuhan China.. yes the Covid-19 City. There is a Wuhan brand but it’s a toy in my estimation.
The Dream line is the trademark of a Canadian company that has Cymbals made in Wuhan to their specs. They have several lines but the
Bliss standard and Vintage both have that distinctive China sound, the standard brighter, the Vintage trashy and more China sound. These are hand hammered Cymbals and have various indentations and even the edges may be slightly imperfect but they do have a unique sound. They are ultra thin and although the sustain is only medium, that thinness cause them to “shimmer” when struck with authority providing for some very different open notes on the dark side.
This past week I noticed on the web site “Best Crash Ride Cymbals for 2020” that the 18inch Vintage Bliss was rated #2. Nice work for a company that is only about 10 years old and from Canada population 37,000,000 ! I have the 20inch model and it is of course a little darker. They are great for brushwork as they can be heard with just the lightest touch. If you go on the Dream website you can not only read about their products but hear a sample and there are some demos on YouTube.
Have a listen.
Cheers

kmaag311

Reaction score
I dont post often here but this thread caught my attention.

I saw this mentioned once before but felt like it needed more pomp. The agop xist ion crashes are my favorite crashes ive ever played! I have a 18" and 20" they are a little more brilliant than an ozone crash, and theyre half the price. I think my 20" was in the $150 range new. I recommend them to everyone, but it is important to play them with proper cymbal hitting technique. I only say this because i had a friend play my kit (sacrilege, i know) that hit the cymbal dead on (no swooping action) and it just didnt sound as good as when i hit them.

I hope this helps, and more importantly, i hope youre able to check some out!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Early '70s 18" Zildjian Swish thin. And only a few of them! But when they are right, they are luscious.

GeeDeeEmm

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh God

5+5 does not equal Old K Joe
You're Right I forgot- add American K's into that
and then, see what you come up with.
You should try an 18 or 16 or 14 or 20 for longer than 2 weeks sometime ; )
SU Z

Last edited:

dangermoney

Reaction score
I use a K Zildjian 18" EFX that's got a good mix of trash/crash with a tad bit more crash than trash. It replaced an 18" Wuhan Linear Smash that sounded like a Sabian Evolution O-zone.

A lot of great suggestions thus far ...

Phildrummer

Reaction score
What you're looking for sounds like the Paiste Signature Swish. Here is the trial by Rob Brown.

Personally I don't have one, because I was fortunate that an endorsed pro sold this wonderful 22" China NE Formula 602 at a price I couldn't refuse. It's more of a China than a Crash, but in 22" the sound is so precise, so smooth, dark and silvery at the same time, that you can use it for just about anything, ride, crash and of course china.

Attachments

Tracktuary

Reaction score
When I want some China, I just shank my main ride.

The Story:

Main ride (22" Old K) had a cracked drilled out by TPC. He sold it to Killian. Killian sold it to me.

LSR (20" Manhattan) is my most recent purchase from Killian

This is my Killian set.

My dudes love drums. No I don't sit that low. Bigger of the little ones was bangin' em prior.

TPC

Reaction score
Damn, I miss that K. ;)

Cute kids. Nice sounds.

Did I mention that I miss that K.

I do a lot of shanking (K's and otherwise), but that only gets me as far east as Jersey.