Dale's Drum Shop in PA

actionjcl

Reaction score
Dales is awesome, though I find it to be a little more pricy on certain items than say Sweetwater or DCP. For a drum shop in PA, especially Central PA, Dales is the only way to go. Never been in the store myself, but have heard great things and have dealt with them before.

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dale's is awesome. I've dealt with them for years from the manufacturing side and they've always been great. I've had the pleasure of visiting there a couple of times over the years and the shop always looks great. Lots of everything that a drummer could want.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Baltimore I used to drive up to Dale's all the time. These days I live in Pittsburgh which is a little further, I tend to make it there once or twice a year.

A friend of mine from Long Island met me there this past August. It really is a great shop.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m late to the party on this thread but I’m another fan of Dale’s and have been shopping there for over 20 years. I’m about 45 minutes away, and don’t stop in as much anymore, but wouldn’t hesitate to do business with them anytime.

FormerPNV

Reaction score
I go to Harrisburg every year for the GAOS outdoor show, and I always stop at Dale's. It's a 2 hour drive for me, and if it were 4 I wouldn't hesitate to go there and check it out.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale’s and Steve Weiss are my favorite local-ish PA stores.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I actually went there last September and it was an awesome place with very nice people. I don't live anywhere near there but I took a gig with someone that needed a weeks worth of fill ins at a hotel near Hershey Park. It was a pretty long drive for me as I'm in NH but I got a full week of paid gigs in a place that I didn't have tp break down my drums. The room and food was covered as well as my gas so I thought it would be a fun trip for myself as I went alone. Someone at the bar the first night was asking me about my Ludwig set and mentioned something about this guy that owns a drum shop and used to work for Buddy Rich. I had no idea what he was talking about since I am not from that area. He mentioned Dales drum shop and since all my days were free, I went straight there the next day. Talk about a cool place! The staff was super nice too and I ended up buying a 21" Paiste Big Beat ride that was barely used for about half the price it would have been brand new. I also managed to get some parts for a citrus mod Ludwig set I was restoring and they had everything I needed at a good price. That was the icing on the top of that trip.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great shop. I actually just ordered A cymbal from them today. I’m about an hour and a half away and I wish I could get there more often

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale's is right down the street from my in-laws (great people, BTW) and their drum stock is fantastic. I have noticed over the past decade that their cymbal selection has diminished slightly but still worth the trek. They usually have a nice selection of demo gear at great prices as well.
If you're a history buff Gettysburg is only another hour drive away from Dale's so you can hit up both and make a nice little trip out of it.
And, Hershey Park is close by as well.

I have been there a couple of time. Well worth the trip 2.5+ hours for me to go there, IMO. I love their second floor where they have a bunch of used kits at very reasonble prices, IMO.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weiss is mail order only.
Yeah, but it's so close to me the shipping takes no time at all. I buy a lot of hardware from them. I'm happy to keep the money somewhat local instead of Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Musicians Friend. Know what I mean?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's so close to me the shipping takes no time at all. I buy a lot of hardware from them. I'm happy to keep the money somewhat local instead of Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Musicians Friend. Know what I mean?
Agreed 100%. I've done a few small transactions with Sweetwater, and their customer service is excellent, but if I can contribute to the betterment of a smaller business, particularly one that has as much to offer as all of you are saying, then that's what I'd rather do.

Thank you again everyone for clearing all of this up for me. I'm looking forward to making the trip.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen that shop name. Good to know it’s legit
I bought a used Bosphorus cymbal from them several months ago. They were cool. And as you probably can surmise, it's Daytona BEACH Drums.
Stu

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I actually went there last September and it was an awesome place with very nice people. I don't live anywhere near there but I took a gig with someone that needed a weeks worth of fill ins at a hotel near Hershey Park. It was a pretty long drive for me as I'm in NH but I got a full week of paid gigs in a place that I didn't have tp break down my drums. The room and food was covered as well as my gas so I thought it would be a fun trip for myself as I went alone. Someone at the bar the first night was asking me about my Ludwig set and mentioned something about this guy that owns a drum shop and used to work for Buddy Rich. I had no idea what he was talking about since I am not from that area. He mentioned Dales drum shop and since all my days were free, I went straight there the next day. Talk about a cool place! The staff was super nice too and I ended up buying a 21" Paiste Big Beat ride that was barely used for about half the price it would have been brand new. I also managed to get some parts for a citrus mod Ludwig set I was restoring and they had everything I needed at a good price. That was the icing on the top of that trip.
THIS is the serendipity that I love to experience and see happen in the big ol' world. Kurt, that's as cool as it gets, at least for me. Traveling and getting paid to play drums, then randomly discovering a fine drum store run by a guy who used to tech for Buddy Rich!

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On my first visit I was traveling with our District Manager. We rolled into Harrisburg in the evening and ended up sitting in with dale's band at a local bar. He was using the Beech Absolute that he got to build when he visited the factory in Japan. We had a great time.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I stopped in over the winter on a trip home from Florida. Great shop with lots of eye candy. Dale and I had quite a conversation about my Slingerland 80N kit. He really spent time looking at my photos of the kit and talking Buddy. I’d like to go back at some point, but it’s a fair drive from home.

drums1225

Reaction score
In April of 2019 while traveling from NYC to a gig in/near Pittsburgh, (and I don't know why it crossed my mind at that specific moment) I thought to search Google Maps and see how far we were from Dale's. Turns out, it was 10 minutes ahead of us, just a couple of minutes off an exit. I knew we had to keep moving along, but I sheepishly asked my bandmates who obliged me for a quick 20 minute visit. "Kid in candy store" is my best description; even they (bassist and guitarist) were impressed. There's nothing like a dedicated, independent drum shop staffed by passionate, knowledgeable, professionals. If you're a fan of Tama drums, as I am, they stock a BUNCH of Tama kits.

Then back in December, I had a gig in Westminster, MD on a Friday night, and then South Jersey the next night. I noticed Dale's was about 1 hour from my MD hotel, and though it didn't get me any closer to my 2nd gig (but also no farther away) it was a no-brainer. I spent about 90 minutes there and grabbed some rack clamps and a few odds and ends. Just a great place.

If you're anywhere within a reasonable drive, definitely stop in. You won't regret it. And if you live within a reasonable drive, have mercy on your credit card.

Last edited: