Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
LOVE Van.
Such a great sound on that one.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fabulous! Definitely a Hayman kit. I have one and the snare drum is fantastic - sounds like Dallas' snare.

Dallas was such a great and under-appreciated drummer. Check out his playing on Steven Stills' "Change Partners" from 1971. He had that "loping weaving" thing. Very unique style. Jerry Garcia on pedal steel.

Thanks for sharing this Benny... JD

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wonder what mic on the fantastic snare ... looks like a Hayman too .

I was able to pause and a good shot of the snare drum and believe it or not, it is an EV RE20...generally thought of as a bass drum mic...being a large diaphragm mic, but there you have it. Terrific drummer with a terrific feel and sound. Dallas was definitely under appreciated and got screwed pretty badly out of the CSNY gig unfairly. Unfortunately, because of his heavy drug habit, it sidelined his career and took away many opportunities. But, oh what a fine player making that great music just flow beautifully. He later got out of the music business and became a drug counselor and was quite successful at it. Sadly, he's gone too.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was able to pause and a good shot of the snare drum and believe it or not, it is an EV RE20...generally thought of as a bass drum mic...being a large diaphragm mic, but there you have it.
Hey Treviso! Actually, I'm pretty sure it's EV ELECTROVOICE CS15 with it's windscreen on. It's much skinnier & has a narrower pattern. As for the EV RE20 being generally thought of as a bass drum mic, yes, nowadays, but generally thought of as a classic radio animators mic back in the day.

PS: I don't want to come off as argumentative. I could be totally wrong! Just spreading more love :bunny:

PPS: I've got a Hayman Vibrasonic snare in Midnight Blue
Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 2.14.56 PM.png

Pic of ELECTROVOICE CS15:
download (1).jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Treviso! Actually, I'm pretty sure it's EV ELECTROVOICE CS15 with it's windscreen on. It's much skinnier & has a narrower pattern. As for the EV RE20 being generally thought of as a bass drum mic, yes, nowadays, but generally thought of as a classic radio animators mic back in the day.

PS: I don't want to come off as argumentative. I could be totally wrong! Just spreading more love :bunny:

PPS: I've got a Hayman Vibrasonic snare in Midnight Blue
Screenshot:
View attachment 427369

Pic of ELECTROVOICE CS15:
View attachment 427370
Yep, you are wrong! That's not the mic on the snare, brother...look above and you'll see that drummertom captured the image of the EV RE20 on the snare drum!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, you are wrong! That's not the mic on the snare, brother...look above and you'll see that drummertom captured the image of the EV RE20 on the snare drum!
Why, yes I am!! Wouldn't be the first time. Or the last! Glad you could clear that up for me! Damn, an EV RE20 is a pretty hefty mic for snares! I've got a 1950's EV 630 that I've used to get a vintage kick sound. Maybe I'll try her out on snares!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why, yes I am!! Wouldn't be the first time. Or the last! Glad you could clear that up for me! Damn, an EV RE20 is a pretty hefty mic for snares! I've got a 1950's EV 630 that I've used to get a vintage kick sound. Maybe I'll try her out on snares!
No worries, brother. I was thinking that having that big, honking mic on a snare drum was funny too. I have seen RE20s on toms (Stan Lynch, for example) on a few occasions, but never on the snare. Did you notice how good it sounded? Maybe we should try it too! :)
P.S. I like those old vintage EV mics too. I have a set of them from the mid 70s that sound really good.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fabulous! Definitely a Hayman kit. I have one and the snare drum is fantastic - sounds like Dallas' snare.

Dallas was such a great and under-appreciated drummer. Check out his playing on Steven Stills' "Change Partners" from 1971. He had that "loping weaving" thing. Very unique style. Jerry Garcia on pedal steel.

Thanks for sharing this Benny... JD
Yes! Change Partners is one of my all-time favorites from SS! Genius move to go 4/4 on the chorus and 6/8 on the verses. For some reason it always paints a mental picture (for me) of a Medieval scene with gorgeous young Maidens and strapping young Knights...

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This song is off Veedon Fleece and has a much different feel with brushes

I am not a big fan of Van live cause he really changes the tune like Dylan on stage, but I think this version is better then the original due in no small part to Taylors drumming.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering about the way he broke up the original studio pulse - was he instructed to do so, a quick huddle before they went on stage ? These questions add to the legendary mystery of Van the man .

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No worries, brother. I was thinking that having that big, honking mic on a snare drum was funny too. I have seen RE20s on toms (Stan Lynch, for example) on a few occasions, but never on the snare. Did you notice how good it sounded? Maybe we should try it too! :)
P.S. I like those old vintage EV mics too. I have a set of them from the mid 70s that sound really good.
Made in Buchanan,Michigan!

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So here is the same band the following year minus Dallas who is replaced by Peter Van Hooke

PVH is a solid player but I prefer Dallas myself

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's so weird ... I LOVE Van and one of the heavy reasons (if not the main) is the fact that he doesn't redo and rehash his stuff the same way day in and day out.

Each time he hits the stage, it's going to be a bit different.
Man, I love that artistic adventurous spirit.

Here's two versions of the same song. Both live versions.
He recorded the same song twice ... this is the live versions of the tune.

I dig the way he approached his own music with such reckless abandon.