Damn Drummers.....Quit OVERPLAYING.....or is it me....

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking.....

How do we know how any band would sound-good or bad, with another drummer?

We hear it a lot but not so sure we can be that sure....
Peal Jam wasn't the same without Dave Abbruzzese.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Forgive the lack of quotes, but you know who you are....lol.

All of the examples you guys gave are of established bands using "fill in" drummers-not bands starting out with other drummers.

We have no idea how The Who may have sounded with John Bonham behind them-from the beginning. What the final outcome may have been creatively or artistically.

We "can't imagine" not having Keith Moon playing with the Who because we have been listening to them for 50 years (!). Same with Led Zep and "any" established band.

Listening to Zeppelin with John then saying they are "not the same with Jason" who is basically playing covers...is different than Jason interpreting "Whole Lotta Love" on his own-in 1972.

Imo of course

Maggot

Reaction score
Back to overplaying - Keith Moon example is "The Kids are Alright": It's hard to discern what exactly is a fill since he never plays exactly the same beat consistently, but for the first minute or so of the song, the only significant fills are after the first line of each verse, with some fill-like activity on the last line of the chorus and transitioning to the verse intro. Then a busy bridge with a stellar fill, and back to playing it cool, etc. There are times when he'll come out of a line and completely skip the expected fill.

You can't really say that the groove of the song is the groove without that fill after the first line of the verse. Just like Ringo's groove on "Rain" isn't the groove without the fills. The melody of the song has the fills right in it.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think one problem is the agreement with what everyone thinks of when "playing for the music". That description is completely subjective. As a drummer, I always seem to fight this in bands because 99% of the time, there is no musical arrangement for me to read. It is up to me to make it up on the fly. Of course...melodic instruments do not have this problem. I play what's in front of me on my stand.

Latest posts