Dan's FedEx Damage claim Update - DENIED

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Today was day number five since I filed a damage claim on my CC kit bass drum that was damaged by FedEx. I filed the claim with all the (10 pictures showing packing and damage) pictures and documentation on July 1st. The service rep researched it and said the claim was denied due to lack of packing. He said an official letter was sent to me yesterday. I told him I sent pictures of the actual packing which I always take before I ship something out. I've been down this road before. He transferred me to the appeals rep who told me there were no supporting pictures on the claim and asked me if I sent them to the email address on the claim form. I told him yes and he asked me to send them to his personal email address. I did. We'll see.

I decided to order the new bass drum from CC. There is no sense that the buyer have to wait through all this minutia. He's happy.

Anyone that wants history to all this can see my other thread at https://www.drumforum.org/threads/fedex-delivered-my-c-c-kit-to-the-wrong-address-update-they-found-the-kit-but-the-bass-drum-is-cracked.174054/

KIYF7193.JPG

VQFX6383.JPG

WWWF7960.JPG

IMG_6308.jpg

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, they can be a pain in the arse. Good luck with your appeal. Last time I shipped a drum, and also did this with cymbals, I bought a pool noodle from the dollar store, and cut a slit around the inside. They go right on the edges no problem, and are great for the perimeter of a cymbal. Im certainly not saying you didnt pack it well, but for future reference to all, those noodles work great for protection.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
BTW, the buyer took the drum to an Austin drum repairer who said it looks like the drum was struck on the lug nearest to the tom mount on the bass drum, not the edge. Un-repairable he said.

thestorysold

Reaction score
it's crazy to me that you can pay for the insurance and they can still deny your claim. I just always assumed you'd be covered no matter what. it's not like you packed it in some old beat up box. I feel like they should still be held responsible for causing the damage in the first place.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, they can be a pain in the arse. Good luck with your appeal. Last time I shipped a drum, and also did this with cymbals, I bought a pool noodle from the dollar store, and cut a slit around the inside. They go right on the edges no problem, and are great for the perimeter of a cymbal. Im certainly not saying you didnt pack it well, but for future reference to all, those noodles work great for protection.
Pipe insulation to, and there pre cut

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Screw these guys, they treat there employees like trash causing them to care less and next thing you know there tossing TVs over fences. I say if they deny the appeal we all bombard them with emails and phone calls until they can’t take it anymore.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dan,
my GF is fighting with an online furniture company right now (coleman) over an Ashley brand sectional she bought. One recliner section broke a month into owning it. Both companies say they are not responsible for it.
I mean WTF here?
She has filed a report with the Ohio AG.

So yeah, I know how you feel

I don’t get who these ass holes can just toss items around without a care in the world.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
BTW, the buyer took the drum to an Austin drum repairer who said it looks like the drum was struck on the lug nearest to the tom mount on the bass drum, not the edge. Un-repairable he said.
Wonder if that’s Tom Collard. He does great work.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've used shipping advice from Dan, so I know these were packed well.

Recently, when I've shipped drums set, I've removed all the hardware off the bass drum...lugs, everything. Seems every time there's damage to a drum, it's when the lug is banged into the shell. (or when folks leave the hoop on the drum...)

If you ship a lot of stuff, buying insurance is a bad bet. If you ship a couple of boxes per week, when you compare the amount you spend on insurance versus the amount of losses you've ever had, you'll see why. This is why insurers make money, and why large companies like Coca Cola "self" insure.

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I was a freight loader as I tried to get into aviation (I'm a pilot). It was truly remarkable to me how the mouth breathers there had such utter contempt for the packages they were hired to load and unload. The word "Fragile" was like a target to smash it even more.
Made me sad frankly.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
it's crazy to me that you can pay for the insurance and they can still deny your claim. I just always assumed you'd be covered no matter what. it's not like you packed it in some old beat up box. I feel like they should still be held responsible for causing the damage in the first place.
Not really, the minute the seller boxes it up himself, insurance usually if not always goes out the window.
Doesnt matter how well it is packed it is their automatic out...."insufficient packing...claim denied"

Thats why i always have UPS box and pack any kit that I sell, it is more BUT in my dealings with them it is the only way to secure insurance. And THEN you might have to fight them on replacement costs !

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is sad. I hate to hear that. Stay on them

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shipping insurance is almost useless. Unless you have enough packing to protect against being dropped on a concrete floor, the claim will always be denied. Doesn't look like this was adequately protected. Sorry.

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope things work out for you Dan - I had a bass drum arrive damaged once and it took a lot of flighting to get compensation but it's totally worth it in the end.
They must follow a script that puts hurdles in front of people with the hope that they will give up after a while. Don't give up! :)
I bought a snare drum from you a while back and can attest to the excellent packaging that comes out of your 'shop'.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shipping insurance is almost useless. Unless you have enough packing to protect against being dropped on a concrete floor, the claim will always be denied. Doesn't look like this was adequately protected. Sorry.
It’s a double edged sword. The more packing you use the heavier and bigger the package equaling more shipping cost thus more profit for these outfits.

Latest posts