Dan's FedEx Damage claim Update - DENIED

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think my takeaways are:
1) Don't bother paying the "extra profit" fee.
2) "Adequate Shipping" is not the expected standard, but rather the means used to deny the claim. Shipping costs are already through the roof, and that's for betting it's going to get there with what reasonable people used to expect to get away with. It's kind of like the gravel trucks sign "Keep Back 300 ft - Not Responsible For Windshields". Except that sign might as well say "I am a Purple Unicorn". Paint on the back of a truck doesn't make it true. But with Fedex/UPS you signed when you accepted the shipping agreement.
3) Ain't no drums over 18" dia getting shipped except brand product new by companies who have negotiated rates. Anything bigger simply won't fit in a box with "adequate packing" that doesn't trigger the "Super duper large box punitive rate"

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll say when I got my kit from Dan I took pictures because the kit I sold, I wanted packed just as solid. Nothing budged in that box. Shipping 101. Good luck with your claim Dan.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Dan,

I sold a blue sparkle Gretsch kit to you. I think it was a 7 piece. I had the bass drums hoops on the bass drum and one of them cracked. You ordered a new hoop and I refunded some money back.

From that day forward, I don’t ship the bass drum hoops attached and the issue never happened again. You taught me to be a better packer. In fact I have shipped 30 kits in my career and I think yours was the only broken drum. I have shipped two Sonor SQ2 kits to China.
Dan, it’s a bad experience but I’m sure you sold and shipped many kits around the world and they did not break. I would buy dnd trade with you anyway. I would do like we did when this forum was new so many years on the phone. I would send a check out and a person would send me drum gear before they got the check! I used to do the reverse as well.
Fedex is tough to deal with but keep fighting and they will give you the money. They deny you every time when you file a claim. Many people just give up right then. Just keep it up and they will pay.
Chris
I miss that kit!

9FB69E9A-71B6-41D9-A618-20FAB056AD21.png

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ugh, this is why I overpack. That kit was better packed than kits I’ve received, luckily I’ve had no damaged ones. Good luck, Dan.

Loud

Reaction score
Not legal advice here, just a question. Since Fedex delivered the package to another address, it seems that they more or less lost control of the package. The damage could have occurred during the period when it was at the other address. So, does the Fedex agreement protect Fedex when they just dump it somewhere, where it can be damaged, and then say they are protected? Just curious.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Not legal advice here, just a question. Since Fedex delivered the package to another address, it seems that they more or less lost control of the package. The damage could have occurred during the period when it was at the other address. So, does the Fedex agreement protect Fedex when they just dump it somewhere, where it can be damaged, and then say they are protected? Just curious.
Great point. If I get denied again, I'll bring that up. Thanks.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isn't fedex non union?
I don't know if Fed Ex is non union or not, I was just speaking in general about shippers. It's hard to make anything stick with them as far as damage they are liable for. They either pay or if they decide not to, its oh well...

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
I don't know if Fed Ex is non union or not, I was just speaking in general about shippers. It's hard to make anything stick with them as far as damage they are liable for. They either pay or if they decide not to, its oh well...
Only the Fedex pilots are unionized.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I see the buyer of this set has it for sale already on Facebook. No mention of the bass drum, but maybe it's been replaced or repaired. Such a cool set... strange how it's been for resale twice already

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see the buyer of this set has it for sale already on Facebook. No mention of the bass drum, but maybe it's been replaced or repaired. Such a cool set... strange how it's been for resale twice already
There was a post on Instagram about the guy who repaired the bass. Austin Drum Company or something like that.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’m not going there. He’s got a brand new kick on the way. Still haven’t gotten a final decision by FedEx. BTW, I got a pic of a Yamaha kit shipped. It’s not as well packed as mine was for sure. This pic has been submitted to FedEx as well.
B7BA4DC2-087B-4BDA-BDBC-2DB55BF9FF4C.jpeg

thestorysold

Reaction score
I saw that as well. if it were repaired that is definitely something a buyer should be made aware of- especially at this price point.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Repaired indeed.

By a great guy btw, Adrian is his name.
He does excellent work from the looks of it. That drum will play fine for a long time.

ps: That new box above looks like much better protection to me than the other one. The box looks crisp and the corner reinforcements might have prevented or minimized the damage to this drum. Also, the chrome is bubble wrapped and within the corner pieces so it can't rip through the outer cardboard.

Latest posts