Dark Big Band/Jazz ride around 400USD?

Reaction score
It’s an honour to finally be a part of this amazing community of fellow drummers.
I would love to have your suggestions on picking a new ride cymbal that suits my musical tastes which ranges from Jazz to a bit of Big Band and Funk.

A cymbal with more ping, a little wash and mostly a quick decay along with a medium to high pitch is what I have in mind. Being a college student, I have a budget of 400USD for this purchase.

I considered the Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride 20” after researching its samples from Soundcloud and YouTube.
Although, I am a bit doubtful of the strength of its wash.

I would extremely appreciate models from the larger “well known” brands (Zildjian, Sabian etc.) as it is tough for me to source others in my country, India.
I have also received other suggestions such as:
• Zildjian A Custom 21” 20th Anniversary
•Sabian HH Duo 21”
•Paiste Signature Mellow 20”
•Sabian FRX 20”
I apologise for any lack of detail or error I might have made.
Thank you all.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shorter sustain makes me think unlathed, as you probably do yourself.
What would you think of the K 21" Dark Complex? sound sample from this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/a-bajillion-zildjians-ks-k-customs-a-customs-as.171772
Not mine, but I like this quite a bit: http://dongunn.com/audio/for_sale/K-21DarkComplexRide.wav

The typical Sabian Duo ride might be too thin, with not enough stick for louder big band/funk. I'm not that familiar with other Sabian offerings. As for Zildjians, there's the K Organic or High Definition rides.

In general I think as long as there is enough stick and a sufficiently low-pitched wash, you can get a way with quite a bit of wash - or just apply a bit of tape. Better err on the washy side for big band, you can tame what's there, but not get anything that's not there in the beginning. So, you might want to look into the lathed models as well. Many medium weight models from all companies, and they all vary. Do you have the opportunity to test-drive some at a local store?

Reaction score
Shorter sustain makes me think unlathed, as you probably do yourself.
What would you think of the K 21" Dark Complex? sound sample from this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/a-bajillion-zildjians-ks-k-customs-a-customs-as.171772
Not mine, but I like this quite a bit: http://dongunn.com/audio/for_sale/K-21DarkComplexRide.wav

The typical Sabian Duo ride might be too thin, with not enough stick for louder big band/funk. I'm not that familiar with other Sabian offerings. As for Zildjians, there's the K Organic or High Definition rides.

In general I think as long as there is enough stick and a sufficiently low-pitched wash, you can get a way with quite a bit of wash - or just apply a bit of tape. Better err on the washy side for big band, you can tame what's there, but not get anything that's not there in the beginning. So, you might want to look into the lathed models as well. Many medium weight models from all companies, and they all vary. Do you have the opportunity to test-drive some at a local store?
The K Dark Complex definitely sounds like a great choice. I noticed it has an amazing bell too. And I did so more research, you’re right about the HH duo It does sustain for quite a bit. I am not able to source the Zildjian High Definition Rides over here, although the Organic 21” is an amazing option, but I fear it might be a tad too dark and not versatile enough. I might be mistaken about this.
I shall take your advice and check out more medium weight cymbals from the offerings online here. Alas, the music stores in India mostly stock generic starter and lower med tier cymbals that sell better for them (Zildjian ZBT, Paiste 101s etc.),leaving those in need for a higher grade instrument only the online market.
Thank You so much !!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you’re right about the HH duo It does sustain for quite a bit.
Longer decay is not a problem I'd say, see my comments about taping. I was thinking when the cymbal is too thin, you lose stick definition with louder playing, the cymbal "washes out" like a crash. That's something you can't change with tape (maybe a little bit with thinner-neck sticks, longer or nylon tips). If you like, post your choices here. You'll get differing opinions for sure.

deegeebee

Reaction score
It’s an honour to finally be a part of this amazing community of fellow drummers.
I would love to have your suggestions on picking a new ride cymbal that suits my musical tastes which ranges from Jazz to a bit of Big Band and Funk.

A cymbal with more ping, a little wash and mostly a quick decay along with a medium to high pitch is what I have in mind. Being a college student, I have a budget of 400USD for this purchase.

I considered the Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride 20” after researching its samples from Soundcloud and YouTube.
Although, I am a bit doubtful of the strength of its wash.
Welcome to the forum. Everything about your post screamed 22" K Dark Medium to me. Ticks all your boxes and is a tried and true model that is known to be very versatile. Check out some different weights, they vary quite a bit.

Reaction score
I was thinking when the cymbal is too thin, you lose stick definition with louder playing, the cymbal "washes out" like a crash. That's something you can't change with tape (maybe a little bit with thinner-neck sticks, longer or nylon tips). If you like, post your choices here. You'll get differing opinions for sure.
That’s definitely something I hadn’t considered earlier. Thank for you the insight.
I have whittled my choices down to the Zildjian K Custom Medium 20” and the A Uptown Ride. My personal preference leans towards the latter as, the Custom Medium is supposed to be a rather loud cymbal with more overtones.
Have you tried the A Uptown ride?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Everything about your post screamed 22" K Dark Medium to me. Ticks all your boxes and is a tried and true model that is known to be very versatile. Check out some different weights, they vary quite a bit.
I wish I could get this cymbal, it definitely checks out everything I would need. But sadly it is way beyond my budget. We have a 42% tax on imported musical instruments here, so it’s cost just bounces beyond what my college savings can afford.
Do you happen to have any insights on the 18” A Uptown Ride though?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
half or more of it is your style; need a cymbal you're able to impose Your Style on....
You have to be comfortable with it

Good Luck! It's only drums..
....No matter what drum or What cymbal you are going to need to "Bend it To your Own will"

Find those.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Uptown ride used to be called Breakbeat ride, a very dry sound, and rather small. Developed for those fast drum'n'bass breakbeats where you're used to hearing a sped up, high-pitched, short sound from the drums and cymbals. Wouldn't recommend it for big band.

I wouldn't go for a smaller cymbal than 20" here for a main ride, and it should be at least partially lathed, for a bit of shimmer and decay.

If you're on a budget: do they sell Dream cymbals in India? Even Stagg has some very good cymbals lately, there is one series that looks almost like K Constantinoples. Some Turkish brands might also be a bit more affordable than Zildjian.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Do you happen to have any insights on the 18” A Uptown Ride though?
This is really a one trick pony sort of ride IMHO. Its super dry and has little wash or sustain, and being only 18", I don't think it would have the volume or fill with so little wash to do big band and compete with horns. Maybe in a small group setting it could work, but again, it is very dry and not a very traditional sound.

I had an Agop dry/dark ride that I never got used to for those same reasons.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try some drumsticks in your local music store when they reopen. Buy different sized/tapered sticks and some band-aids. Mix and match them on your current ride, and you may be pleasantly surprised while saving $$$$.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome!!!!!

I would look into a Paiste Traditional 22" Med Light. And (I think) a member here has one for sale (not me, I swear!) I have had one of these cymbals for years, and have used in MANY contexts including a big band. It was perfect!

It sounds like a classic and dark old A. They are NOT K trashy, or K dark, but just nice middle of the road dark (like the old 1950's A's.) It has some "cut," with lots of BLEND!

MSG

Reaction score
I tremendously appreciate the words I have gotten here.
I do not currently possess a ride cymbal as such, I had been using a L80 18” CR as a substitute for about 2 years now while saving up to buy my first true ride.

Luckily, I had the opportunity to try out the Zildjian K Custom Medium 20” at a fellow Drummer’s home today.
I found it to be a tad washy and loud, it kept ringing in my right ear. Although that might just be due to the acoustics of his rehearsal room.
I shall experiment with pairs of 7As of hickory and nylon on that cymbal as well.
The suggestions for lesser known manufacturers such as Stagg, Dream Bliss and others sadly is not viable for me due to the logistics and import tax issues in my home country.
Regarding Paiste cymbals, they just don’t seem to sell a lot down here in India. Apart from the 101, 201 and PST series, others are tough to source among used or retail lines.
I would love to have your views on the Zildjian A Custom 20th Anniversary Ride.
Is it a tad too brilliant for jazz??
Thank you everyone.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Customs I think could work fine, a bit stiff maybe, they're more "hi-fi pop" in my mind. You'd never go wrong with a standard A though, medium ride, 22 and lighter weight for a lower pitch, or a lighter 21 Sweet ride. With these, you could easily shorten the decay with some tape or leave it open for a wider sound.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Any used market you can tap into in India? Sounds to me like the sound you are after might be easier to find in a 22" but your budget is limiting you in size. Old As, used modern Ks are both going to do the business and keep their value if you decide to switch it up after playing it for a while.

Latest posts