Dark Paiste vs. Dark Zildjian vs. Istanbul Agop

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Paiste 20” New Dimension Sound Creation Dark Ride - it’s easy to find one on Reverb or eBay just like it. I think you could pair it with anything.

great stick, dark, not too much wash

easy to control

What music is that ?

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been playing Istanbul Agop for a bit and have been frustrated in my search for all-around rides/crashes. I love the dark, complex sounds that I get from most of the Istanbul Agop lines, but it is nearly impossible to find a ride from them, for example, that has enough stick clarity to drive a band. What I mostly get is a stick sound that is buried under wash, regardless of weight. The crashes are a little better - especially the Traditional line- but not much.
A lot of the Agop lines are best played lower volume. I just went through a bunch of their rides to find a more mainstream ride that is clean, with stick attack, but not bland or boring. I settled on the Mantra ride (Cindy Blackman). It is perfect for me.
The Idris Muhammad is well known for having a lot of stick attack. That was where I was going next, had I not fallen for the Mantra.
I also have a Signature 23", which I love, but again, it has to be played more gently. Likewise the Joey Waronker 24".
I must say I find the Traditional crashes very mainstream sounding, in a good way. I've played K Dark for years and the Agop Trads are very similar IMO.
All the K Cons I've played have been more washy, like the jazzier Agop you are complaining about.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of the Agop lines are best played lower volume. I just went through a bunch of their rides to find a more mainstream ride that is clean, with stick attack, but not bland or boring. I settled on the Mantra ride (Cindy Blackman). It is perfect for me.
The Idris Muhammad is well known for having a lot of stick attack. That was where I was going next, had I not fallen for the Mantra.
I also have a Signature 23", which I love, but again, it has to be played more gently. Likewise the Joey Waronker 24".
I must say I find the Traditional crashes very mainstream sounding, in a good way. I've played K Dark for years and the Agop Trads are very similar IMO.
All the K Cons I've played have been more washy, like the jazzier Agop you are complaining about.
Thank you for that explanation. I do agree with you, and the Mantra ride is one I have been meaning to check out. And I do agree with your comments about the Traditional line crashes. I love the Dark version of those crashes.

paulwells73

Reaction score
Thank you for that explanation. I do agree with you, and the Mantra ride is one I have been meaning to check out. And I do agree with your comments about the Traditional line crashes. I love the Dark version of those crashes.
I’m sorry if I missed it elsewhere in this thread, but what kind of music are you playing? If it‘s heavier, guitar-driven rock, Agop do have some nice options. The thin/dark rides tend get a lot more attention, but they also make some stronger, pingier rides.

Whitten‘s suggestions are great. Also, if you like 24s, check out the 24" Traditional Heavy Ride - that’s my favorite "rock" ride that Agop makes. Plenty of others in the Trad line - the Medium and Heavy rides come in 20, 22, and 24. You could also try giving the company a call at their LA office. They‘d probably have some good suggestions.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry if I missed it elsewhere in this thread, but what kind of music are you playing? If it‘s heavier, guitar-driven rock, Agop do have some nice options. The thin/dark rides tend get a lot more attention, but they also make some stronger, pingier rides.

Whitten‘s suggestions are great. Also, if you like 24s, check out the 24" Traditional Heavy Ride - that’s my favorite "rock" ride that Agop makes. Plenty of others in the Trad line - the Medium and Heavy rides come in 20, 22, and 24. You could also try giving the company a call at their LA office. They‘d probably have some good suggestions.
Typically, I'm playing singer-songwriter kinds of things, or folky/rock stuff. With my 30th Anniversary or my Mel Lewis rides, anytime things get even to a medium volume level, the ping is instantly gone and all I get is wash. I have also had trouble with the crashes keeping up (30th Anniversary, Signature, etc...) when things get a little louder. I do like the cymbals at low volumes, but it seems like that's all they can do.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On paper the Joey Waronker ride would be perfect for 'singer-song writer'.
Again, it has a tendency to be a lower volume cymbal, like many of the nicest Agop rides.
I haven't had a problem with the crashes.