Dark spots on new cymbals

Jimmyh

Reaction score
I just bought a set of new Zildjian A’s and got them delivered today. When i opened the package and inspected them i noticed some discolorations on two of the cymbals and it was most prominent on the 21” A sweet ride.

Haven’t had time to play them yet so i can’t say if they sound weird in any way but i’m curious if these kind of spots is ”normal” on brand new cymbals? And if so, what are they?

Attachments

• 2F4EAEDB-0832-4E96-9C4E-EC484F706993.jpeg
    2F4EAEDB-0832-4E96-9C4E-EC484F706993.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: JDA

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Never seen that on a new cymbal. Makes me wonder if they were on display as demo models and then repackaged. With drop shipping, there is no excuse for a store not sending you a brand new item if that's what you paid for.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is not normal for a new A Zildjian. A’s have a clear coat on them from the factory that should prevent that sort of spotting even if they were stored somewhere damp/humid. It won’t have any long term adverse affect, but you should try to get a partial refund

Jimmyh

Reaction score
That is not normal for a new A Zildjian. A’s have a clear coat on them from the factory that should prevent that sort of spotting even if they were stored somewhere damp/humid. It won’t have any long term adverse affect, but you should try to get a partial refund
Yeah, that was what i thought. It doesn't look like it's due to them being played or demoed though..it's not stickmarks...just some weird discoloration as if there as spots with no coat.

I got the a391 set for like 175 dollars off cause they where on sale but it didnt say that they were demo models or anything like that. But as long as it won't have any negative effects i think i'll just be happy and play them instead of sending them back. :)

The serial says AF so it seems they are from 2016

Jimmyh

Reaction score
Here's a sharper shot of one section with the "spots". It doesn't look like they've occured due to being demoed/played on and i cant see any stickmarks on any of the cymbals so i doubt that they have been played on. Can it be a manufacturing defect. The only thing i really care about is if this is only a beaty flaw or if it actually can affect the cymbals durability or sound negative..

It's maybe worth mentioning that it's not a dent or something like that. I cant actually feel anything when i run my fingers across these spots.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 32

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its just a thin spot in the clear coat that allowed the bronze to tarnish

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're happy with them and the spots don't bother you, then go ahead and play and enjoy. My earlier comment stands, though if you got a deal for NOS then that makes sense.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Something spilled on it. They are droplets. From what? Who knows? Sweat, beer, cleaning products.

Rivot

Reaction score
Send them back they should not be like that especially that you've spent hard earned money on them thats not on at all.