Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Dave.
Thank you for all the great music you made. -b

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Dad is a huge DC5 fan, so I grew up listening to all their albums. It's really remarkable how little recognition they get given all the success the band had. I realize they're in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (for whatever that's worth), but in my experience the average person, even of the right age, has never heard of them.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Dad is a huge DC5 fan, so I grew up listening to all their albums. It's really remarkable how little recognition they get given all the success the band had. I realize they're in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (for whatever that's worth), but in my experience the average person, even of the right age, has never heard of them.
I think a large part of the problem is that Dave Clark owns the rights to all of it: the movie, the TV specials, all the recorded output, etc., and he's been sitting on it all for decades. He even owns the entire Ready Steady Go TV catalog, and very little of it has been re-released in the digital age. Even though he was a brilliant manager for the band, I think that if his strategy is to generate intense interest, it has backfired because a lot of people either don't know or no longer care.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a big DC5 fan so happy Bday to Mr. Clark. too bad it took them so long to get into the Hall.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I love playing the guitar chords to "Because." I liked them better than the Beatles for a short time. I think Mike Smith is the organ player. I know he passed. He got overweight and fell off of a stone fence, I think.
Ace

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Dave Clark 5 has always been one of my favorite 60's bands! The biggest impediment to finding new albums or CD's has been Dave Clark himself. Just do an internet search and you'll find the majority of answers to why he hasn't released anything...until now! Finally, I just found that he has a remastered album of songs, 28 I believe, that were released just this year. My biggest gripe is that they are currently only available as downloads from Amazon. A link is HERE I love owning the physical media, whether it's vinyl, cassette, reel-to-reel (yes, I have a that medium!) or CD. Lots of fans haven't been happy with Mr. Clark...and I'm one of them. But, that doesn't meant I don't love their music and his drumming. You can "air drum" to many of the hits!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was always entranced by Dave Clark's drumming. He had a very heavy style, the Ringo hihat method, and he sat so high behind the drums that he was a commanding presence in the band. I learned a lot of my early "technique" from him.

But, Mike Smith was the man in the Dave Clark Five. His vocals were simply some of the best in pop rock. And, speaking of presence, Mike Smith seemed to tower over the others and had THAT SMILE. He always seemed to be having more fun than anybody else in the group. I'm quite convinced that he could have been a big star leading his own band.

GeeDeeEmm

1576613408004.png

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was always entranced by Dave Clark's drumming. He had a very heavy style, the Ringo hihat method, and he sat so high behind the drums that he was a commanding presence in the band. I learned a lot of my early "technique" from him.

But, Mike Smith was the man in the Dave Clark Five. His vocals were simply some of the best in pop rock. And, speaking of presence, Mike Smith seemed to tower over the others and had THAT SMILE. He always seemed to be having more fun than anybody else in the group. I'm quite convinced that he could have been a big star leading his own band.

GeeDeeEmm

View attachment 420091
Re: Mike Smith. Exactly my thoughts. As I recall, he was making some television appearances and was on a nice little comeback trail before the tragic accident.

Latest posts