header.nohb.html

Dave Getz, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Piece of my Heart.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just had this song dropped in my lap with less than a week to get it down and no practice before the show, along with the standard line"It is easy stuff, don't worry about it". I am too old to fall for that, so the woodshed I hit. All I have to say is; much respect to Getz. What a beautiful drummer. His parts seem perfect to me......and, i was right; this song is not an easy win. There are very specific parts, dynamics and feel, all along with some very original drumming. Much respect Mr. Getz.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is NOT an easy tune to get right. His time and feel are all over the place in a great way. Most guys play it "straight" and it sounds like hot garbage.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never knew until a few years ago that the Joplin version was a cover.
Check out the bass and drums (and the rest) on the original version by Aretha Franklin's sister.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh, man, you are so right, Nacci! Love Big Brother. Getz most certainly held the band together. And he played Rogers drums.

BTW, side note, Janis and Big Brother was the first concert I ever saw, 1968 in New Haven Connecticut. I was 16. We were standing on our seats, going crazy. Janis stopped the show and reached for her shot glass and a bottle sitting on an amp. She drank a shot, came to the mic and said, "Cain't do nothin' without my Southern Comfort!"

Good times...

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that album when first released and loved it. The whole spirit of that band was infectious. It was a sad day for me when I learned Big Brother & the Holding Company was being replaced by a new horn band. I did see this band, with Getz and Janis, at Westbury Music Fair, NY. Great stuff. They didn't disappoint.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree and have always been impressed in the drumming on that Joplin tune. You are wise man to know when to shed.
and... Sweet Baby Back Jesus I've never even heard of Erma Franklin. I LOVE that!
Thank you, Rich K, for bringing that into my life.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a lot more to paying this tune well than "playing it straight". Here's my humble attempt.

Excellent job Roadapple and a lot of fun to watch. That video reminds me of a incident from my relative youth. The owners of my favorite New York slice shop sold the place to a family of Albanians. I went in to see if the pizza was still good and started chatting with the owner. The waitress came up, very nice, stacked and started chatting us up. When she left I said to the owner; “Geez, what a rack on that waitress”. He said; “That is my wife”. I said; “Ok, I did say I was taking that slice to go, right?” He said; “You did.”

I have never made that mistake again.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reactions: JDA