Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dave Grohl Can ‘Drum’ a Tune With His Teeth, Too
Eric Diaz
Mon, October 4, 2021, 3:48 PM·2 min read
In this article:

Dave Grohl

Dave Grohl celebrated quite the milestone recently, as Nirvana’s breakthrough album Nevermind turned 30 years old. Being Nirvana’s drummer during their watershed moment led to an incredible three decades in the music business. Celebrating this anniversary follows on the heels of a very busy last few years for the Foo Fighters frontman. Mainly organizing several charity concerts during the pandemic.

Grohl also has written a new memoir called The Storyteller, where he shares his “memories of a life lived loud.” While doing press for his book on the BBC (via Boing Boing), Grohl revealed a fun (but weird) factoid about himself. As a kid, Grohl developed the habit of drumming by clicking his teeth together.

His talent for drumming with his teeth turned out to be good practice. It ultimately led to a skill that made him world-famous, after all. Although listening to it might be grating for some, it also shows that some people really are just born with the music in them. Dave Grohl is clearly someone with musical ability just coming out of his pores.

Dave Grohl demonstrating how he practiced drums by clicking his teeth.
Dave Grohl demonstrating how he practiced drums by clicking his teeth.
BBC

Another fun fact revealed during the interview is that Grohl is still an avowed UFO fanboy. This should come as a surprise to no one though. The term “Foo Fighter” is an old WWII military term for what we call UFOs today. Grohl is definitely someone who believes in the old saying “we are not alone.” And he admits that he has paid attention to all the declassified UFO footage that’s come out recently.

He told the BBC, “I’m a total UFO nerd and I have been for decades. So I’ve been following it. But what’s happening now, I don’t think is new.” If only he weren’t so busy, maybe Grohl will join Blink 182’s Tom DeLonge and officially add “UFO researcher” to his resume.

The post Dave Grohl Can ‘Drum’ a Tune With His Teeth, Too appeared first on Nerdist.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also did that (and still do, though I really have to stop before these dental bills kill me). Greg Saunier of Deerhoof, also.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Deafmoon you aren't helping the Dave Grohl to Marcus Gilmore post ratio. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL. I found this humorous that this was even a story on the internet. But, then again there are folks that want to know everything about their heroes, so why not? Now if only we knew what aftershave he uses, people could buy it and play like Dave Grohl.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty. I've done the teeth drumming all of my life as well. It never brought me much success though...

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I thought it said tune a drum with his teeth. Now THAT will ruin your teeth in a hurry

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also used to constantly hand drum on my belly and got harassed for it at the bus stop. But look at me now!

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I misread the first sentence as "Dave Grohl Can Tune a Drum With His Teeth, Too" ;-)