Dave's Grohl's Unplugged Kit

chillybase

Reaction score
So Nirvana is releasing the remastered version of Unplugged on vinyl.

It had me thinking about the kit Dave used for Unplugged. Is that a Ludwig he is playing? Google doesn't seem to come up with much of anything other than Kurt said that Dave was playing too loud and he almost didn't get to play Unplugged.

jmato

Reaction score
Great story about Dave's volume on this one. Cobain kept complaining and complaining, until someone from MTV gave Dave a pair of rods to use (which Dave had apparently never seen before). Suddenly, Cobain is happy, and then history . . .

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought they were purple sparkle Slingerlands. This was impressive to me, because until this show, I thought that Grohl was all bash. Turns out, not a bad singer, either. :)

Dan

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great story about Dave's volume on this one. Cobain kept complaining and complaining, until someone from MTV gave Dave a pair of rods to use (which Dave had apparently never seen before). Suddenly, Cobain is happy, and then history . . .
They should have given Cobain an "Auto Tune" hook-up.

chillybase

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about his Unplugged kit. I figured it was probably a rental since he was with Tama at the time. I couldn't make out the drums as I wasn't familiar enough with the make/model. :D

Are the Rogers and Slingerlands of the 60s built similarly? Or is it just the Blue Onyx/Blue Agate wrap just the same/similar?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
There's a pretty lengthy oral history of the show, including a lot of input from Bobcat Goldthwait (who was there). It talks about Grohl's sticks, but not the drum set.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Without the history and name recognition ...

If that were to appear on YouTube, I would click out of it extremely quickly.
Wow. Not pleasant. It did not age well at all.
Looks like a depressed homeless boyfriend of the club manager that has some friends filling in to round out the sound ... and not very well.
The singer has lost his ear. The guitarist hits some odd points (as pointed out by the singer). The bass player looks like he is playing a wedding.
Unfortunately, the drummer appears extremely bored.

I love Dave. That was rough to watch.

Are the Rogers and Slingerlands of the 60s built similarly? Or is it just the Blue Onyx/Blue Agate wrap just the same/similar?
Rogers had a different build than Slingerland during the 60s.
Slingerland ran the standard 3ply ... a variation of Maple and/or Mahogany, with a Poplar center.
Rogers shell builds are documented well in some threads here on this forum. Extremely interesting reading. Some excellent detective work.

chillybase

Reaction score
The rehearsal is rough but I think they pulled it together in the end. This came out during my teenage years so even with its flaws, it is a special album for me.

I'll dig around for the Rogers info. This is definitely more info than I had even with some Google searches prior to asking about it. I'm not sure if I'll chase down a similar kit to own or not but maybe.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's one that flowed through my life ... it was an outstanding kit.

IMG_1321.jpeg

gaebrel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My least favorite Nirvana album, all because of the soft hot rod playing. He might as well used a card board box as a kit and saw blade for a ride.

lcondo123

Reaction score
The name for the wrap is different between Rogers and Slingerland. Rogers called it "onyx" while Slingerland called it "agate." Same thing. Shell construction was completely different between the two brands.

Latest posts