David Robinson (the cars) COW slingerland kit

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve talked about this before, and found some threads about his slingerlands... but I couldn’t find anything that mentioned exactly what sizes he used.
Does anyone know the details on the chrome wrapped slingerlands that David used in the heyday of the Cars?
I think it was a 14x14 and a 10x14, and 16x16 16x18 on the floor, with Ludwig timbales above them.. but was the bass a 22 or a 24?
I have most of those sizes in slingerland shells, besides the 14x14, and would love to build a kit and wrap it in chrome...
I’m playing in a cars tribute and not only do I want to cop the look, but that killer deep Tom sound he got, too

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve talked about this before, and found some threads about his slingerlands... but I couldn’t find anything that mentioned exactly what sizes he used.
Does anyone know the details on the chrome wrapped slingerlands that David used in the heyday of the Cars?
I think it was a 14x14 and a 10x14, and 16x16 16x18 on the floor, with Ludwig timbales above them.. but was the bass a 22 or a 24?
I have most of those sizes in slingerland shells, besides the 14x14, and would love to build a kit and wrap it in chrome...
I’m playing in a cars tribute and not only do I want to cop the look, but that killer deep Tom sound he got, too
Man, I would to play in a Cars trib band. I sing Let’s Go in one of my bands…

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, I would to play in a Cars trib band. I sing Let’s Go in one of my bands…
Yeah it’s fun! For years I listened to their tunes and thought... mehhh... just simple straight ahead beats...
but no, theres actually a lot going on in the parts that David came up with!

For a long time I simply filled in with them when their main drummer had a scheduling issue... but now he’s out of the band completely and they asked me to be the guy.
Here we are at one show I subbed for, doing “touch and go”

the Fibes kit is cool on stage, but I want those chrome slingerlands!

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing it complete !!

I am a Slingerland and Fibes guy myself

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Yeah it’s fun! For years I listened to their tunes and thought... mehhh... just simple straight ahead beats...

For a long time I simply filled in with them when their main drummer had a scheduling issue... but now he’s out of the band completely and they asked me to be the guy.

That was great!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s great. Well done! Your singer looks and sounds like Ocasek.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used a simple online measuring tool ( https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html ) to estimate the sizes of a couple of instruments in that 2nd picture of David Robinson.
First, I measured (#1) half the length of the hi-hat as the reference unit and assigned it a value of 7.00" and also 7.50" unit, to account for both 14" and 15' hi-hats (measuring from the center post to the right edge of the image).
I then measured the large tom (H = #2 & V = #3) and also did half the bass drum (V = #4) as the bottom portion isn't present and the acute angle makes the horizontal angle less accurate.
The measurement lines/font are a bit small in the images so I inserted a text box with the values the online measurement tool provided.

I think that bass is a 24" based on the 14" hi-hat reference and a 14" x 13" power tom size...

David_Robinson-14.png

David_Robinson-15.png

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did some looking around online and found that there was....almost nothing about Robinson's setup. I can't remember where I heard his snare at one point was a Ludwig 402, but it makes sense to my ear.

Man, I'd love to play in a Cars tribute. Most drummers I hear play the songs miss out on one basic thing--he rarely varied his 8th notes on the hi hat. He mostly played it straight with no accents. That's why "Touch and Go" is so unusual--he opens the hats ever so slightly during the verse. He and Ben play in 5 and I think Greg is playing 4/4. Geez. Those guys could play, even if they never moved more than 1/2" onstage.

Dan

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did some looking around online and found that there was....almost nothing about Robinson's setup. I can't remember where I heard his snare at one point was a Ludwig 402, but it makes sense to my ear.

Man, I'd love to play in a Cars tribute. Most drummers I hear play the songs miss out on one basic thing--he rarely varied his 8th notes on the hi hat. He mostly played it straight with no accents. That's why "Touch and Go" is so unusual--he opens the hats ever so slightly during the verse. He and Ben play in 5 and I think Greg is playing 4/4. Geez. Those guys could play, even if they never moved more than 1/2" onstage.

Dan
He did play a 402. You can see it in a lot of pictures, and it’s even featured in one of their old videos, one where they are hanging out in a living room.. there’s his snare sitting on the floor or something to that affect...
I think it was “you might think”, or maybe you might think it was “I think” ??

There’s an interview he did with MD or some other music mag where he mentions the slingerlands but doesn’t talk about the sizes at all

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He did play a 402. You can see it in a lot of pictures, and it’s even featured in one of their old videos, one where they are hanging out in a living room.. there’s his snare sitting on the floor or something to that affect...
I think it was “you might think”, or maybe you might think it was “I think” ??

There’s an interview he did with MD or some other music mag where he mentions the slingerlands but doesn’t talk about the sizes at all
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's "Since You're Gone".

Dan

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
U Gotta find Syndrums quad x2 :cool::cool:
I’ve used a sample pad with a bass pedal and a few additional pads in the past with them.. there’s really only a handful of sounds that you “need” .. and “Drive” is the toughest song to cop, because it has so many percussion overdubs.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, I wish I still had my Syndrums Quad to sell you! I bought a set brand new back in 1980, for $1,000. For reference, I bought a new Gretsch kit from the same dealer at the same time, and a walnut fish 22, 12, 13, 16 kit with matching snare was only $750!! :)

Sold the Syndrums on consignment a few years later, and got about $500. Should have just boxed them up for 30 years! Who knew?

And yeah, his kit was way cool.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
May '85 Modern Drummer interview-

RS: Could you give a quick rundown of
your current drumkit?

DR: I can tell you what I used on the
Heartbeat City tour: my same Slingerland
chrome set that I've had for years, with a
Ludwig snare drum and a lot of Ludwig
parts, including stands. As for electronics,
I had a Simmons SDS7, one triggered Clap
Trap, and one Syndrum, with just one pad
going into one channel. The snare drum
triggered the Clap Trap. And that was
about it. It was actually the least amount
of equipment that I ever used.

RS: And what about cymbals?

DR: I used all Zildjian cymbals: 16", 17",
and 18" crash cymbals. The 18" is rather
thin; the others are sort of just medium
weight. I wanted to get one of those upside
down China cymbals, but I didn't find a
good one in time. So I used one of those
with the rivets in them—a China with rivets.
What I wanted was a real trash-can
sounding one. I got by without it; it wasn't
a problem or anything. But the cymbal
with the rivets is 18", and I used a 22"
medium-heavy ride cymbal, which I put
tape on the bottom of because it rang. And
I used Zildjian hi-hats.

RS: How do you go about shopping for
drums when you're looking for something
new? What is it that you look for in particular?

DR: Well, I have to say that I really like the
way my Slingerland set sounds. Not on this
tour, but on the last one—the Shake It Up
tour—I thought I would look around for
some new drums. I figured I'd see what all
the other drums sounded like. So I got
about eight different brands of floor tomtoms,
different sizes and thickness. And I
tried them all out. I liked a couple of them.
I think the best of the bunch were Ludwig
and Yamaha. But after I thought about it
none of them were really better than what I
already had. So I stuck with my
Slingerland set. I like Slingerland drums,
because they're deep and they're loud.
There are things about the set that maybe
aren't made in such a precision-like manner,
such as is the case with some German
sets. But for just a big, sloppy "posh," I
just couldn't beat them. I have thin, threeply
shells, instead of five-ply. Maybe that
has something to do with the kind of sound
I like to get out of my drums, too.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always just pick up the phone and call him. :)

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could always just pick up the phone and call him. :)

The guys in the band actually got to meet him at a cars fan event/book signing thing in CT or Mass.. I wasn’t there unfortunately but a couple of the guys’ wives are FB friends with Greg Hawke and David Robinsons wives... so yeah I’ve definitely thought about just. Reaching out and asking!
I’ll check that link for the art/antique shop!

Attachments