David Robinson (the cars) COW slingerland kit

flatwins

Reaction score
I’ve always felt David Robinson didn’t get the credit he deserved. He had a unique, diverse setup and experimented with electronics early on. Plus he played some really cool parts!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s fun! For years I listened to their tunes and thought... mehhh... just simple straight ahead beats...
but no, theres actually a lot going on in the parts that David came up with!

For a long time I simply filled in with them when their main drummer had a scheduling issue... but now he’s out of the band completely and they asked me to be the guy.
Here we are at one show I subbed for, doing “touch and go”

the Fibes kit is cool on stage, but I want those chrome slingerlands!
Man, you guys are pretty good. You nailed Robinson's parts, and your guitarist play Easton's parts very well - and that is saying something, because I happen to think Easton is one of the best lead guitarists ever. And your "Ocasek" guy is terrific!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, you guys are pretty good. You nailed Robinson's parts, and your guitarist play Easton's parts very well - and that is saying something, because I happen to think Easton is one of the best lead guitarists ever. And your "Ocasek" guy is terrific!
Yeah thank you! It was pretty good for a gig done with minimal practices and not only a fill-in drummer but a fill-in keyboardist too…That whole gig was done with the fill in keyboardist who didn’t know the parts that great but did a good job, it just worked out that the thing that the Original keyboardist, Lars, had scheduled that night that conflicted with the gig, got canceled, so he ended up showing up anyway even though the sub was playing keys most of the night. He’s playing on the substitute keyboardists gear on this song and subsequently makes a couple mistakes because he’s not used to the weighted keys and or non-weighted keys(I don’t remember which one it was that he said to me)

But anyway this was in Cleveland, which is the bassist from the cars (Ben Orr) hometown, and this guy Joe Millikan wrote a book about Benjamin, and this was the book signing event for that book so they asked the local cars tribute band to be there, and couldn’t turn down the gig even though they needed a sub on keys and drums

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah thank you! It was pretty good for a gig done with minimal practices and not only a fill-in drummer but a fill-in keyboard is too…That whole gig was done with the fill in keyboardist who didn’t know the parts that great but did a good job, it just worked out that the thing that the Original keyboardist, lars
I had scheduled that night that conflicted with the gig, got canceled, so he ended up showing up anyway even though the sub was playing keys most of the night. He’s playing on the substitute keyboardist gear on this song and subsequently makes a couple mistakes because he’s not used to the weighted keys with a non-weighted keys(I don’t remember which one it was that he said to me)

But anyway this was in Cleveland, which is the bassist from the cars hometown, and this guy Joe Millikan wrote a book about Benjamin, and this was the book signing event for that book so they asked the local cars tribute band to be there, and couldn’t turn down the gig even though they needed a sub on keys and drums
Great back story there.