header.nohb.html

David Robinson (the cars) COW slingerland kit

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah it’s fun! For years I listened to their tunes and thought... mehhh... just simple straight ahead beats...
but no, theres actually a lot going on in the parts that David came up with!

For a long time I simply filled in with them when their main drummer had a scheduling issue... but now he’s out of the band completely and they asked me to be the guy.
Here we are at one show I subbed for, doing “touch and go”

the Fibes kit is cool on stage, but I want those chrome slingerlands!
Man, you guys are pretty good. You nailed Robinson's parts, and your guitarist play Easton's parts very well - and that is saying something, because I happen to think Easton is one of the best lead guitarists ever. And your "Ocasek" guy is terrific!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, you guys are pretty good. You nailed Robinson's parts, and your guitarist play Easton's parts very well - and that is saying something, because I happen to think Easton is one of the best lead guitarists ever. And your "Ocasek" guy is terrific!
Yeah thank you! It was pretty good for a gig done with minimal practices and not only a fill-in drummer but a fill-in keyboardist too…That whole gig was done with the fill in keyboardist who didn’t know the parts that great but did a good job, it just worked out that the thing that the Original keyboardist, Lars, had scheduled that night that conflicted with the gig, got canceled, so he ended up showing up anyway even though the sub was playing keys most of the night. He’s playing on the substitute keyboardists gear on this song and subsequently makes a couple mistakes because he’s not used to the weighted keys and or non-weighted keys(I don’t remember which one it was that he said to me)

But anyway this was in Cleveland, which is the bassist from the cars (Ben Orr) hometown, and this guy Joe Millikan wrote a book about Benjamin, and this was the book signing event for that book so they asked the local cars tribute band to be there, and couldn’t turn down the gig even though they needed a sub on keys and drums

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah thank you! It was pretty good for a gig done with minimal practices and not only a fill-in drummer but a fill-in keyboard is too…That whole gig was done with the fill in keyboardist who didn’t know the parts that great but did a good job, it just worked out that the thing that the Original keyboardist, lars
I had scheduled that night that conflicted with the gig, got canceled, so he ended up showing up anyway even though the sub was playing keys most of the night. He’s playing on the substitute keyboardist gear on this song and subsequently makes a couple mistakes because he’s not used to the weighted keys with a non-weighted keys(I don’t remember which one it was that he said to me)

But anyway this was in Cleveland, which is the bassist from the cars hometown, and this guy Joe Millikan wrote a book about Benjamin, and this was the book signing event for that book so they asked the local cars tribute band to be there, and couldn’t turn down the gig even though they needed a sub on keys and drums
Great back story there.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread…. The Cars band is doing great and we recently started chatting about gear, and the drum kit…. And I’ve decided to try and dig deeper into the COW slingerland thing .
I found a guy with a 14x14 for a decent price that has a trashed wrap, and is perfect for a COW re wrap. I already own a slingerland 22” bass shell, a 24”, a 16x16, and a 16x18.
So I’m still not sure what the exact sizes Dave used actually were… and he never seemed to talk about it.
Is everyone thinking 14x14, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18?
22” bass?
24” bass?

Discuss!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a 14x14 on The Slingerland page now ……$300

Attachments

• F9DFB0F0-F30A-4998-8F67-9A9613C86142.png
    F9DFB0F0-F30A-4998-8F67-9A9613C86142.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 23

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always felt David Robinson didn’t get the credit he deserved. He had a unique, diverse setup and experimented with electronics early on. Plus he played some really cool parts!
I remember seeing their first TV performance ("Fridays"-the west coast SNL wannabe?) enjoying the hell out of it and then reading about that he lost all his electronics in the first 10 seconds of the first tune.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread…. The Cars band is doing great and we recently started chatting about gear, and the drum kit…. And I’ve decided to try and dig deeper into the COW slingerland thing .
I found a guy with a 14x14 for a decent price that has a trashed wrap, and is perfect for a COW re wrap. I already own a slingerland 22” bass shell, a 24”, a 16x16, and a 16x18.
So I’m still not sure what the exact sizes Dave used actually were… and he never seemed to talk about it.
22” bass?
24” bass?

Discuss!
My eyes tell me 22x14, 14x14, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His bass drum looks like a 24, if I compare in proportion to his 14 x 14 tom.
But really or a tribute band, a 22 or 24 wouldn't matter, as just having the COW Slingerlands would make the image.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave spoke of this in an interview.
He said he liked a 14 in floor tom mounted on stand.
He spoke on the “why” ... had to do with the deep sound … his favorite drum sound.
He also spoke on other parts of his kit.
Wasn’t that on the Cars live DVD they did with the Benjamin interview shortly before his death?
I‘ve got it somewhere around here.
I remember thinking how cool of a sound a 14 floor is and how logical it would be to place that tom in that position. Great sound.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22” bass?
24” bass?

Discuss!
Thats me. Ill get a hold of you this evening with the photos, and let you know about the hoop.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Glad someone posted a ML link earlier. Modern Lovers is the other half of the David Robinson story.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score

We made this video using the monitor mix which we record on a laptop, blended in with the cellphone video my wife took.

I brain farted and didn’t play the tom fill into the bridge.. oops