Dawes Drummer's Dad is a Fraud

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lenny Lee Goldsmith was a minor figure in the Bay Area music scene in the early 1970s, most notably as lead singer of the band Sweathog, who had one charting hit in 1972. He is probably best known as the father of Griffin and Taylor Goldsmith of the band Dawes. In the mid-1980s, singer Michael Jeffries left Tower of Power in the middle of a tour. Auditions for a new singer were hastily arranged, and Lenny auditioned and got the job to complete the remaining dates of the tour. By all accounts (and audio confirms), he was so god-awful that he was fired after just TWO gigs, and bandleader Emilio Castillo ended up doing lead vocals for the remainder of the tour. But Goldsmith grossly exaggerates and drops his Tower of Power connection without fail and at every opportunity. There are articles all over the internet that attest to this. Particularly galling is an article in The Malibu Times from 2014 where these exaggerations are inflated to the point of preposterousness. Even an article on Griffin Goldsmith in Drumhead magazine describes his father as "Legendary Ex-Tower of Power singer Lenny Goldsmith." Legendary? After two gigs? In another, he mentions his "magnificent two year stint" with TOP. I mentioned all this to Emilio Castillo before a TOP gig two years ago, and he was not only aware of it, but very angry at the cheapening of the TOP name. He said he would like to tell me his true feelings about Lenny, but as a born-again Christian, he did not use language like that any longer. I've spent a lot of time trolling Lenny on the internet for the past few years, and have no plans on stopping. He's a fraud, and needs to be exposed for what he is.

fenrir

Reaction score
Save your energy for something else. It's so unimportant. The people who matter probably know the truth, those that believe whatever are unlikely to commit drastic action as a result of it. How does it affect you?
Man there are so many more worthy causes to give your energy to at the moment.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Save your energy for something else. It's so unimportant. The people who matter probably know the truth, those that believe whatever are unlikely to commit drastic action as a result of it. How does it affect you?
Man there are so many more worthy causes to give your energy to at the moment.
This. Turn the page.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dawes? Oh my God. They sound like a bunch of trust fund kids whose dads bought them all the gear and the clothes and probably the songs. Ugh. No.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let their daddy (whom I've never heard of till now) reflect unduly on Dawes. I bought one of their CDs and just watched some live performances, and they are a perfectly good band with good musicianship and vocals. What's not to like there.

I can't even call myself a fan, 'cause I know nothing about them, but heck, they make music, sound good, and sing. I don't know what else we can expect. The acorns don't always fall close to the tree!

GeeDeeEmm

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
There are many, many, many, many, many, many, many things in this world which annoy me. But I simply don’t have enough feelings within my body to care about even 10% of them.

Gotta spend that energy where it really matters to me.

Beefing with a guy who sucks but nobody remembers or cares isn’t worth it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The level of enmity here made me curious enough to have a look at Lenny Lee Goldsmith.

Much to Shilohjim’s chagrin, I’m sure, ‘Ol Lenny seems to be enjoying himself playing gigs with a solid band and attractive back-up singers.
Is he going to win America’s Got Talent? Not sure, but he makes pretty good use of his talent and seems to be having a great time.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dawes? Oh my God. They sound like a bunch of trust fund kids whose dads bought them all the gear and the clothes and probably the songs. Ugh. No.
Seen them live have you? Your statement is ignorant beyond measure.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was in college in the late 80s, there was this guy, a drummer, who went around campus bragging, bragging, bragging. His band, who never seemed to appear anywhere, had allegedly been backing a lead singer with a major label deal and minor following(I think he had a song on the current Rocky movie soundtrack). Also, he blabbed to the college newspaper that his band had a "tentative" record deal with CBS Records. Who were these guys? I wanted to know, because MAN, that's what I wanted to do.

I encountered him a few times around campus. I made the mistake of performing my normal anxious drumming on a table in a girl's dorm room(wouldn't you know we just knew the same girls!) to which he exploded, "You must be a drumma!" and began to regale me with his tall tales. I nodded to all of it. Another time, both of our bands were rehearsing in the same room, and as I was leaving he brought in his Pearl Export kit, double bass of course. "Dude! Check out my bass drums! They're 26x28!" It was getting to be too much, as my 24" bass drum obviously towered over his 22". He had at least 50 bandanas tied to everything.

1988 was no time to Google anything, so I did the next best thing, which was talk to my fellow college radio station cronies, who reached out to people at CBS and neither the band name nor this guy's name was known by anyone. I cannot say that I was surprised.

And their triumphant one and only "gig" on campus? 100% covers. Not a single original song. Ended with Zep's "Rock And Roll". At the end, he threw his sticks into the audience. Somebody threw them back. They were terrible. HE was terrible. And full of crap. Probably the reason that psychologists came up with the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

The bottom line is that you can claim to be whomever you want, lame claims to fame and all, but that only goes so far. If you can do the gig, you can do the gig. If you can't, you'll be gone. A lot of the BS comes out in the wash. I'm not concerned about people like this: they're a dime a dozen. They're not fooling anyone.

Dan

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the record, I think Dawes suck more horse c*ck than even their old man. If there's a stronger word than loathing, that's what I feel about them.
the word is "hate" and I am still baffled at the level of animosity you feel for these folks. What did they do to you that sets you off so passionaltely? There are plenty of more dispicable people in the world, so why the Goldsmiths?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
When I was in college in the late 80s, there was this guy, a drummer, who went around campus bragging, bragging, bragging. His band, who never seemed to appear anywhere, had allegedly been backing a lead singer with a major label deal and minor following(I think he had a song on the current Rocky movie soundtrack). Also, he blabbed to the college newspaper that his band had a "tentative" record deal with CBS Records. Who were these guys? I wanted to know, because MAN, that's what I wanted to do.

I encountered him a few times around campus. I made the mistake of performing my normal anxious drumming on a table in a girl's dorm room(wouldn't you know we just knew the same girls!) to which he exploded, "You must be a drumma!" and began to regale me with his tall tales. I nodded to all of it. Another time, both of our bands were rehearsing in the same room, and as I was leaving he brought in his Pearl Export kit, double bass of course. "Dude! Check out my bass drums! They're 26x28!" It was getting to be too much, as my 24" bass drum obviously towered over his 22". He had at least 50 bandanas tied to everything.

1988 was no time to Google anything, so I did the next best thing, which was talk to my fellow college radio station cronies, who reached out to people at CBS and neither the band name nor this guy's name was known by anyone. I cannot say that I was surprised.

And their triumphant one and only "gig" on campus? 100% covers. Not a single original song. Ended with Zep's "Rock And Roll". At the end, he threw his sticks into the audience. Somebody threw them back. They were terrible. HE was terrible. And full of crap. Probably the reason that psychologists came up with the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

The bottom line is that you can claim to be whomever you want, lame claims to fame and all, but that only goes so far. If you can do the gig, you can do the gig. If you can't, you'll be gone. A lot of the BS comes out in the wash. I'm not concerned about people like this: they're a dime a dozen. They're not fooling anyone.

Dan
Cool 386-word story! Have you heard Lenny Goldsmith or Dawes, though?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool 386-word story! Have you heard Lenny Goldsmith or Dawes, though?
Yes, I have heard Dawes, and I agree with you. They are a Jackson Browne soundalike in the way that Spoon can sound like Neil Diamond if he fronted a modern rock band.

Guess you missed my central point. And you counted the words? Very proud of you!

Dan

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
For the record, I think Dawes suck more horse c*ck than even their old man. If there's a stronger word than loathing, that's what I feel about them.
o

For those who don’t know of Dawes. They’ve put five albums into the Billboard Top 200— one peaked at 23 or something.

Not my thing, but if you drive a Subaru and you’ve never heard Jackson Browne, you’d probably be impressed.

Damn, Shilohjim, you hate Lenny like I hate hot Brussel Sprouts.