Dawes Drummer's Dad is a Fraud

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard Dawes, and I agree with you. They are a Jackson Browne soundalike in the way that Spoon can sound like Neil Diamond if he fronted a modern rock band.

Guess you missed my central point. And you counted the words? Very proud of you!

Dan
Neil Diamond? Uh? Can, yes. Neil Diamond? Get the hell outta here with ridiculous statements like that.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard Dawes, and I agree with you. They are a Jackson Browne soundalike in the way that Spoon can sound like Neil Diamond if he fronted a modern rock band.

Guess you missed my central point. And you counted the words? Very proud of you!

Dan
There’s software to count words. Spoon sound different on every record.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
o

For those who don’t know of Dawes. They’ve put five albums into the Billboard Top 200— one peaked at 23 or something.

Not my thing, but if you drive a Subaru and you’ve never heard Jackson Browne, you’d probably be impressed.

Damn, Shilohjim, you hate Lenny like I hate hot Brussel Sprouts.
Saw them live and I agree they are similar to Jackson Browne / 70s AM radio. Having said that, they were talented musicians and had great harmony parts. They seemed to really be enjoying themselves and the festival crowd loved them. I can think of many, many worse bands.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They're like that music for adults that I just never matured into. Probably too late to get it now.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Neil Diamond? Uh? Can, yes. Neil Diamond? Get the hell outta here with ridiculous statements like that.
Geez, I didn't mean it as something derogatory. I was referring to the lead singer. We have different opinions.

There’s software to count words. Spoon sound different on every record.
Again, we have different opinions. And, I find it curious that you had any interest in how many words I used, versus nothing to mention about the Dunning-Kruger effect, or my central point, which is that there are no shortages of fakers in seemingly every level of the biz. And they have always been there.

Dan

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Geez, I didn't mean it as something derogatory. I was referring to the lead singer. We have different opinions.

Again, we have different opinions. And, I find it curious that you had any interest in how many words I used, versus nothing to mention about the Dunning-Kruger effect, or my central point, which is that there are no shortages of fakers in seemingly every level of the biz. And they have always been there.

Dan
What are my thoughts on why stupid people think they’re smart? I think it’s a crutch used by people who’ve taken one psychology class. I think these things are better explained by Sturgeon’s Law: That 90% of everything is crap — meaning nine out
out of 10 books in the library aren’t worth reading, 90% of TV is worthless and 90% of the music in any genre is bad.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are my thoughts on why stupid people think they’re smart? I think it’s a crutch used by people who’ve taken one psychology class. I think these things are better explained by Sturgeon’s Law: That 90% of everything is crap — meaning nine out
out of 10 books in the library aren’t worth reading, 90% of TV is worthless and 90% of the music in any genre is bad.
I am totally with you on that!

Dan

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I now desperately want to hear Spoon cover "Forever in Blue Jeans." A nice minimalist version with Britt yowling over it. (I'm also being completely seriously, that would be super weird and would rule.)

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah - Jackson Brown - sure.

If you only listen to one album from a band and form your entire opinion of them you are ignorant. But that's okay.

PS - just so you know Lenny is both Taylor and Griffin's father.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

If you only listen to one album from a band and form your entire opinion of them you are ignorant. But that's okay.

Paradiddle, you clearly don’t know how Internet discourse works. For example, accusing others of being “ignorant” for noting Dawes’ obvious Jackson Browne hero worship is not supported by posting two songs that sound 100% like forgotten Jackson Browne B-sides. Weak sauce.

lamartee

Reaction score

Thank you. I wasn't quite getting the whole point of this.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paradiddle, you clearly don’t know how Internet discourse works. For example, accusing others of being “ignorant” for noting Dawes’ obvious Jackson Browne hero worship is not supported by posting two songs that sound 100% like forgotten Jackson Browne B-sides. Weak sauce.
Expert at Music VB. Please post any Jackson Brown song that sounds like the last two. I'm pretty familiar with JBs catalog. I look forward to a lesson in how the internet works.

Thanks

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Expert at Music VB. Please post any Jackson Brown song that sounds like the last two. I'm pretty familiar with JBs catalog. I look forward to a lesson in how the internet works.

Thanks
All Dawes sounds like Jackson Browne. It’s unmistakably clear and that’s reflected in headlines like The New York Times’ “If You Like Jackson Browne, Try Dawes.”
Numerous articles offer the same conclusion.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's probably more the "California Soft Rock" thing.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OP I strongly believe you should move his witch hunt in another direction. I would suggest you focus on conspiracy theory nut jobs.

There are a couple on this forum I would suggest you start with.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mean, Jackson Browne is a lot better, so no, they don't sound the same.

Anyway, may I kindly recommend to the OP that he shift his attention to the question of whether Sun Ra is really from Outer Space? He claims it. I suspect he's not but I haven't been able to prove it.

Last edited: