DCP Pearl Masterworks Shootout

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

4 great sounding kits. Not sure if I care about the subtle difference in shell layups, but WOW, what a difference the Pearl Fat Tone hoops make. The one kit with the Pearl Super Hoops just didn't have the same amazing open tone the others did.

nmosko

Reaction score
It was a great video! I was really surprised at how much the sets didn’t appeal to me though. They were definitely some drummers’ dream but to me they just didn’t sound like the cream de le creme. The Tama STAR and Gretsch USA drums were superior in my opinion.

one thing about Pearl, and idk if anyone shares this opinion, their toms never have the focus and clarity and punch of the high-end toms from other companies, but their kick drums are INSANE!! Far and away, from videos and in person, Pearl has always made really special kick drums.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was a great video! I was really surprised at how much the sets didn’t appeal to me though. They were definitely some drummers’ dream but to me they just didn’t sound like the cream de le creme. The Tama STAR and Gretsch USA drums were superior in my opinion.

one thing about Pearl, and idk if anyone shares this opinion, their toms never have the focus and clarity and punch of the high-end toms from other companies, but their kick drums are INSANE!! Far and away, from videos and in person, Pearl has always made really special kick drums.
In both of your preferences, they come with die cast hoops, which would give that focus and clarity. I think the 1.3mm Fat Tones are really why I like these.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I liked the Birch/Gum Kit most but none of those would have me running to DCP with cash in hand to purchase.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I liked the Birch/Gum Kit most but none of those would have me running to DCP with cash in hand to purchase.
Totally agree. I definitely find I am no longer drawn towards maple kits. The matte finishes on the first two were a little odd to me. They seemed to shift drastically depending on what light they were in. And those last two...just a little too murky for me.

A lot of credit to Pearl though. What other major manufacturers (other than DW) give you so many customization options? Shell composition, edges, re-rings...and tons of finishes. I know the price point is up there on these, but how successful has this been for them? Considering that they are very much alone in this capacity, I'm guessing the profit margin isn't high enough to lure competitors into the fold.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the maple/gum kit a lot. But if I were to order a Masterworks kit, I wouldn't get a plain jane finish like that.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. I definitely find I am no longer drawn towards maple kits. The matte finishes on the first two were a little odd to me. They seemed to shift drastically depending on what light they were in. And those last two...just a little too murky for me.

A lot of credit to Pearl though. What other major manufacturers (other than DW) give you so many customization options? Shell composition, edges, re-rings...and tons of finishes. I know the price point is up there on these, but how successful has this been for them? Considering that they are very much alone in this capacity, I'm guessing the profit margin isn't high enough to lure competitors into the fold.
The higher end kits have a much higher profit margin than the lower end kits. I.e., they have to sell a boat load of decade maple kits to make what they would one one of these kits. It's more a case of everyone has their 'custom shop' kits. With Pearl and DW, it's fairly unlimited. With Tama and Yamaha it's still kind of a production line thing in terms of options.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Based only on this video, the only kit I would be interested in investigating further would be the maple/mahogany, but before buying any kit I would need to tune one and play it myself. None of these drum shop videos has the drums tuned anywhere near how I tune my drums.

I think if they brought everything up a third or a fourth you'd hear many more difference between the different shell layups/bearing edge geometries.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think if they brought everything up a third or a fourth you'd hear many more difference between the different shell layups/bearing edge geometries.
Yeah, often it's just various degress of "poof", but most people probably want to hear kits tuned like this I guess. It probably goes beyond the scope of a single video to show how a kit responds to various tunings, different dynamics etc.
I do like the various mic'ing perspectives they offer, especially that they include a "room mics only" section.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, often it's just various degress of "poof", but most people probably want to hear kits tuned like this I guess. It probably goes beyond the scope of a single video to show how a kit responds to various tunings, different dynamics etc.
I do like the various mic'ing perspectives they offer, especially that they include a "room mics only" section.
I agree it's a lot of ground to cover in a 4 kit demo and one tuning at the lower end doesn't really demonstrate the full range of the kits. You never get the feel of the kit like you do actually playing it or standing at the back of the room. It's a safe bet that any of these kits will work great in the studio and front of house guys will love them (they universally love my Masters kit even before they mic it up). One kit could have a great near field sound behind the kit, but unmic'd it can't compete with my buddy's Ampeg. Which kick rattles the walls when you stand in the back of the room? I can't tell from the videos. Sometimes they do mention a kick is amazing and other times they just play the drums.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never liked the sound DCP get's in that room..... I think it's a very large room maybe..... but Memphis get's MUCH more representative sounds at their shop...... Here is a Masterworks.... keep in mind the dude put 2 ply heads on there AND he's got moongel all over the drums including the snare and the thing still sounds brilliant IMO.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess it makes sense to tune them all the same for comparison, but I agree it would be nice if they took them through 2 or 3 tuning ranges like most snare videos do.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never liked the sound DCP get's in that room..... I think it's a very large room maybe..... but Memphis get's MUCH more representative sounds at their shop...... Here is a Masterworks.... keep in mind the dude put 2 ply heads on there AND he's got moongel all over the drums including the snare and the thing still sounds brilliant IMO.

Those do sound really great, and I fully appreciate the sound they are going for. They nailed it. But I'm just not a fan of what cast hoops do to toms. It's just too clean and controlled for me. I'd love to hear those get a little funkier with the Fat Tones.

DrumCenterNH

Reaction score

I get it, sound is subjective. I do just want to speak to the fact that the sound I look to achieve is trying to keep it natural while still sounding exciting. Memphis does great work as well, so no knock on them. I can say that the drums in our video sound very much like the way they do in the room they were recorded in. It is a big room and that does have it's challenges, but also some benefit. I do use more of the overheads and room mics in the full mix than Memphis is using in this video, since I feel it makes it more like you are hearing a drum set in a room rather than a bunch of close mics.

I also want to point out that mics hear things differently than the human ear so saying things like "no eq" or "no compression", does not necessarily mean that it sounds natural. To get drums sounding natural in a recorded situation, certain processing (if done carefully) will make it sound MORE like they do in person, not less.

Rant over. All this to say, totally fine if your ears prefer the sound in the Memphis video, just wanted to bring my perspective to the table.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get it, sound is subjective.
I hear you ... and I appreciate what you guys do...... I think the limitations are the construction of the building you guys are in and no medium sized room available away from the showroom to use where you can really get control of everything..... but it obviously sounds plenty good so it is what it is.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I get it, sound is subjective. I do just want to speak to the fact that the sound I look to achieve is trying to keep it natural while still sounding exciting. Memphis does great work as well, so no knock on them. I can say that the drums in our video sound very much like the way they do in the room they were recorded in. It is a big room and that does have it's challenges, but also some benefit. I do use more of the overheads and room mics in the full mix than Memphis is using in this video, since I feel it makes it more like you are hearing a drum set in a room rather than a bunch of close mics.

I also want to point out that mics hear things differently than the human ear so saying things like "no eq" or "no compression", does not necessarily mean that it sounds natural. To get drums sounding natural in a recorded situation, certain processing (if done carefully) will make it sound MORE like they do in person, not less.

Rant over. All this to say, totally fine if your ears prefer the sound in the Memphis video, just wanted to bring my perspective to the table.
One of the things that I do like about DCP's videos is the Full-Mic/Room-Mic comparisons. That makes it possible to extrapolate a great deal about the instrument's inherent sound; much more than if the videos only featured the Full-Mic sound. I just wish they'd tune the drums to higher pitches

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe that Maple/Gum shell has proven so popular that Pearl is now offering it as a new discrete line with stock drum sizes, limited finishes and pre-configured sets at a lower price point then the MasterWorks custom order.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

DrumCenterNH

Reaction score
One of the things that I do like about DCP's videos is the Full-Mic/Room-Mic comparisons. That makes it possible to extrapolate a great deal about the instrument's inherent sound; much more than if the videos only featured the Full-Mic sound. I just wish they'd tune the drums to higher pitches
Appreciate the feedback. We are definitely looking for ways of showing more sounds in our videos including tunings, it's just a question of time. In a video like this if we did that it would be like an hour long. It is definitely on my radar though.

Latest posts