Ddrum Max vs Mapex Armory

Dsylexic

Reaction score
Hey:)

Im on the lookout for a new kit, and i've nailed it down to those 2.
But im not quiet sure what to choose, can anybody help a fellow drummer out?
Im obviously looking for the most high-end of em, and i've heard conflicting stuff regarding that.

Thanks in advance!:)

Last edited:

Dsylexic

Reaction score
Alright, does it come down to build quality? Its funny tho, i can get a 5 piece mapex kit with a snare for the same price as a 3 piece ddrum max kit o:
So my first thought was that it was higher end than the Mapex kit, but i suppose not?

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the maple/birch shell of the Mapex kit and I trust Mapex more than I do dDrum. I would honestly go for a used high end kit over those options but if I’m choosing from what you proposed, it would be Mapex all the way.

Dsylexic

Reaction score
Alright, thanks alot for clarifying i hear you, also in going for a used high end kit! Deffo open for that suggestion. Ddrum claimed that their max series is high end when i mailed them. But the online shop i asked was saying the armory kit was higher end than the max.. and they sell both, so i would suppose they're pretty unbiased. Regardless, thanks for the advice ❤

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I had my own shop for a decade. Before that, I was a manufacturer's rep for 17 years. ddrum is not a reliable brand. The Mapex Armory is nearly high-end quality, and a fantastic bargain, so long as you stick to one of their pre-packaged packs.

Dsylexic

Reaction score
Thanks for your input frankmott! man thats a shame, one of my favorit drummers used to rock ddrum before he stopped playing with 36 crazyfists. So i had kinda hoped for some more positive respons regarding ddrum. But so far everybody has said mapex except for ddrum themself. Again thanks for the input, means alot

cplueard

Reaction score
I can't say much for the armory but I owned two of the MAX kits before they were that (They we're the 10th anniversary). The first set was great and well put together, the second had issues. ultimately moved away from them when I stopped using 22" bass drums. Truthfully I thought they sounded good, but the QC was meh. If you can get a good dDrum they're great drums but you're outta luck if they're bad.

Dsylexic

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the input! You're the first i've encountered who actually had any hands on experience with em i think! What a shame tho, that the quality control is lacking! The Modern Drummer review i saw on youtube gave away a nice impression of the sound, but no way im gonna throw money after something thats unreliable! Thanks again for your input, helps alot!:)

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would vote for the Armory also. I am a big Mapex fan, and know the kind of quality they produce. I have 7 Mapex kits after all. The Armory kits are very popular right now. These new finishes will only help that popularity.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hasn't Ddrum been at the bottom when it comes to QC consistently?
I would not consider them for anything with that track record.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
There are sooo many options. Why limit yourself to dDrum and Mapex? Not that there's anything wrong with Mapex as they are fine drums but there are many fish in the see when it comes to high end. I've heard nothing but mixed reviews of dDrum. Personally I'd stay away.

Just as a reference, Bandit I'd say is the premier expert of all things Mapex around these parts.

Dsylexic

Reaction score
There are sooo many options. Why limit yourself to dDrum and Mapex? Not that there's anything wrong with Mapex as they are fine drums but there are many fish in the see when it comes to high end. I've heard nothing but mixed reviews of dDrum. Personally I'd stay away.

Just as a reference, Bandit I'd say is the premier expert of all things Mapex around these parts.
Hey Dan!:D

Yea ill not touch Ddrum, kinda sad about it tho. Cuz i really liked the sound of the Max line and the look. But Mapex is just an old favorit of mine, and i dig the Armory lines sound alot!:D
I can be abit of a brand whore if i have to be honest d: Even tho i know i shouldnt be. Its just that old habits die hard.

Again thanks for the help and opinions,
Means alot!

OutlawX

Reaction score
Alright, thanks alot for clarifying i hear you, also in going for a used high end kit! Deffo open for that suggestion. Ddrum claimed that their max series is high end when i mailed them. But the online shop i asked was saying the armory kit was higher end than the max.. and they sell both, so i would suppose they're pretty unbiased. Regardless, thanks for the advice ❤
No FUCKING Way is that Crap Company Mapex better than Ddrum Max Series wich happens to be the Drum set of the year. Maple&Alder=

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No FUCKING Way is that Crap Company Mapex better than Ddrum Max Series wich happens to be the Drum set of the year. Maple&Alder=
Yeah I heard those dDrum Max kits were the Michael Jordans of drums lol... but do tell what makes Mapex a crap company?

and follow up question... did you really open an account to fight for the honor of dDrum from a 6 month old post?

Last edited:

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
oh you’re the new keyboard warrior? Got it lol the type to talk crazy online but couldn’t bust a grape in a fruit fight... with nothing to offer in an intelligent conversation but internet empty threats that we all can laugh at. Which seat of the short bus did you ride as a kid?

Last edited: