Ddrum snares - any opinions?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found a deal on a 13x7 ash Ddrum Dominion series. Anyone have any experience with them? A friend has the same in maple and loves it.

Thanks in advance - hope you’re all having a great weekend!

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on the throw. One of the throws they were using was iffy but otherwise they make fantastic snares. Their ash drums are great and can often be found at quite a bargain.

wraub

Reaction score
I recently picked up a ddrum 13x7 Dominion snare, birch with an ash veneer. Seems well built, good edges and seams, decent finish, decent hardware.
Sounds pretty good, too. Needs new heads, though.
Definitely a good drum for a hundred bucks. ;)

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of the ones I've tried out sound like cardboard shoe boxes.
They had a very bad rep for flimsy hardware that broke under regular wear and tear.
The look better than they sound.

RayB

Reaction score
Most of the ones I've tried out sound like cardboard shoe boxes.
They had a very bad rep for flimsy hardware that broke under regular wear and tear.
The look better than they sound.
I have two Ddrum snare drums; they don 't sound like cardboard shoe boxes and the hardware has held up very well under regular wear and tear. I like the way they look but like the way they sound even more. I'm aware Ddrum had quality issues in the past, but does that mean they'll never get it together?
I purchased a slightly used demo Vintone 14 x 7 Mahogany snare. I loved the way it sounded even before I upgraded the stock heads. Tunes up easily, has a warm, deep sound. I own 10 snare drums, including the Slingerland I got in 1965, GMS, Yamaha, Mapex, Tama SLP walnut, Pork Pie and PDP models. The Vintone is my all around favorite; the guys in my band love the sound, too. The throw -off is a little stiff and I will upgrade it eventually. I should add the throw-off on my Pork Pie was worse and I had to replace it.
My other Ddrum snare drum came with the alder wood Reflex Rally Sport Kit. Alder wood sounds terrific and I'm totally happy with the whole kit, including the 5-1/2 x 14 snare. Haven't had a single quality issue with any of the drums or hardware.

Anyway, I've been drumming over 50 years, still gigging (not during Covid, of course), and I know how to tune drums for the sound I want. My experience with Ddrum has been totally positive, so I felt compelled to speak on their behalf.