de-yellowing before and after

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
FYI, the fuel pump analogy was very weak. There's lots of information online on how to reduce yellowing on wraps, or is this thread just an advert by proxy?

I actually prefer the yellowing. Imo, the drum earned that finish. To each their own.

do u prefer i say 'ask jack lawton to tell you his restoration process' ?

better?

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, there are lots of ‘how to de yellow plastics’ tips/techniques on line. In the pinball hobby for vintage games there are methods also for de yellowing plastics. You can never completely get rid of the yellow but it helps. You always have to test an small area first of course.

Oxy Clean and Peroxide solution. Bleach solution. Wet sanding. Baking Soda and water. There are also gels you can use that contain Peroxide in hair care products. Some of these require sun to activate. I’ve had good success w/Polishing Compound. Just takes time and some elbow grease.

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, there are lots of ‘how to de yellow plastics’ tips/techniques on line. In the pinball hobby for vintage games there are methods also for de yellowing plastics. You can never completely get rid of the yellow but it helps. You always have to test an small area first of course.

Oxy Clean and Peroxide solution. Bleach solution. Wet sanding. Baking Soda and water. There are also gels you can use that contain Peroxide in hair care products. Some of these require sun to activate. I’ve had good success w/Polishing Compound. Just takes time and some elbow grease.
would love to see one of your pinball machine restorations! feel free to post pics, thanks

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
would love to see one of your pinball machine restorations! feel free to post pics, thanks
If calling me out or genuinely interested sure thing. I’ll have to take pictures of pictures as it was way before having a cell phone. Complete cabinet repaints making my own stencils and also complete tear down of play fields and motor board.

It is a drum forum but I’ll post ot in thread.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How to replace a fuel pump is easily found in a service manual or a million places online. It's not a "secret of the trade". People pay mechanics because they don't want to do the work themselves.
So, are you saying that because he posted pics of his work, that he owes us an explanation of how he gets his results?

andlours

Reaction score
So, are you saying that because he posted pics of his work, that he owes us an explanation of how he gets his results?
Not at all. I completely understand not wanting to share his method. He figured something out with a lot of time and hardwork and doesn't want to throw that method all over the internet.

What I am saying though, is that it wasn't the most sound analogy.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not at all. I completely understand not wanting to share his method. He figured something out with a lot of time and hardwork and doesn't want to throw that method all over the internet.

What I am saying though, is that it wasn't the most sound analogy.
I agree. Sorry for the misread.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a DW craviotto snare that needed some serious work done. On a whim, I reached out to Johnny and sent them an email a few years ago telling them how I love him and his drums and one day I hope to own one of his sets but right now all I have is this one snare and I was very excited about it but it had some issues. He had one of his guys respond and tell me what to do and said if I couldn't do it, to bring it on down to the shop and they would handle it for me at no charge. I was blown away by this generosity.

It turns out that I was able to fix it almost perfectly way beyond anything I would have imagined. As an amatuer wannabe woodworker, my approach was not exactly the way it should have been and his tip on how to clamp and glue the seam was something I wouldn't have figured out although I was close on my own.

My real only regret is that I did not personally go up to the factory (30 minutes from me) and thank Johnny in person before he passed away, and I will have to live with that. However, he didn't have to give me the time of day cause he hadn't been with DW for 10-plus years, but he did, and I will always remember that kindness. I'm pretty sure he wasn't threatened by me trying to compete with his business.

I respect the OP's pics and great job he's done but just sayin'...... Johnny Craviotto did not have to tell me part of his solid shell steam bending process, but he did, and that says something.....

Even if the OP says I used A, B & C, it doesn't mean that anyone can do it because obviously he has the skill and technique that he's perfected over time. If I was standing next to Chef Morimoto and we're doing the same recipe, I'm pretty sure his is going to taste much better than mine because he has the techniques and skills and feel and intuition that I don't.....

I guess it's no big deal because I like the look of aged Marine Pearl anyway.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I respect the OP's pics and great job he's done but just sayin'...... Johnny Craviotto did not have to tell me part of his solid shell steam bending process, but he did, and that says something.....

Even if the OP says I used A, B & C, it doesn't mean that anyone can do it because obviously he has the skill and technique that he's perfected over time. If I was standing next to Chef Morimoto and we're doing the same recipe, I'm pretty sure his is going to taste much better than mine because he has the techniques and skills and feel and intuition that I don't.....
Johnny C. has a great, well deserved reputation for being a great guy, but I think if you had approached him and asked him to show you every step of his steam bending process with the intent of using what he had showed you to start making shells on your own, his response might have been different. Granted, the equipment needed to do that would be much more involved than what you would need to whiten yellowed WMP (I think), but I'm betting that those that have posted here asking the OP to give away his secrets would then proceed to use them themselves. For those that really want that done, it could take money out of his pocket.
As for the Chef Morimoto analogy, instead of watching him work, try just asking him for the recipe.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, Jack has given me plenty of detailed info over the years.
True story. He never minded sharing. I asked him about refinishing a certain brass drum drum and he told me exactly what he'd use. And that was just one of many times.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Actually, Jack has given me plenty of detailed info over the years.
True story. He never minded sharing. I asked him about refinishing a certain brass drum drum and he told me exactly what he'd use. And that was just one of many times.
I agree, the few times I have contacted him, I have found that he always willing to give information. He also has a "F.A.Q." section on his website that provides lots of tips including removing yellow from white marine pearl.

Latest posts