Dealing With Tape Residue on DUCO

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got this lovely Pioneer. It looks like nothing has ever been removed! There was large sticker of some sort that has left a sticky residue. Any suggestions on how to remove it, if at all?IMG_3954.JPGPioneer tape residue.JPG

carter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Goo Gone should work just fine. I used it to remove latex paint off a Duco floor Tom with absolutely no effect on the finish. Test a small area first though.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Goo gone, rubbing alcohol, or hand sanitizer. Put a dab on a Q-tip and go lightly at first to make sure no paint is removed.....should be fine.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the "solutions"

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Goo Gone, alcohol from the gorcery store. Acryliclean from an auto paint store. All are safe.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So far -- I've tried alcohol, no effect; overnight soaking of WD40, no effect. My next attempt will be Goo Gone.

The residue has definitely been on there for a while and is mostly dried.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Goo gone and a Q-tip - saturate it well and go back and forth....if you notice paint coming off - obviously stop, but I've used it on delicate vintage drums with no such issues.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Nothin better than shiny nickel. I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Dad had a snare just like this. It became my first snare when he gave it to me in 1966. Long gone, unfortunately.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Nice Pioneer! I have one in the same finish along with several Blu/slvr Duco drums.
As you may be aware, the regular use of a quality guitar polish will permeate the paint and keep it from drying and cracking over time along with maintaining it's original luster.