Decals and Heads - decal adhesion

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Need some advise, I need to put a decal on a head (remo), My question is in regards to the decals adhesion. Will a decal stick to a coated head? A fiberskyn head? ( I know it will be fine with a clear or white plastic head) I need a remo Classic fit head for my gretsch Bass drum, however smooth white heads are not available .

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I just made one on the cricut two night ago. classic shield design with initials for my Ludwig kick with a fiberskin, it was a little hard stick but it did go on I just went over it a ton after and made sure it was sticking and then played on it and checked it again. As far as putting it on I had to use my fingers to push down in spots as I way laying it if that makes sense. Regular coated emps worked no problem.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
No problem on Fiberskyn for me. These are vinyl decals I cut myself (cricut machine) and put on this classic fit Fiberskyn head...

20210609_181233.jpg

Smooth white also not a problem. I have used similar decals on coated heads and so far they have stuck okay.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes. The majority of my bass reso heads are Fiberskyns or coated ambassadors. I buy the logos online (Gretsch, Slingy, Ludwig, DW, Rogers) usually on eBay or from Bentley's when I am there. Never had an issue installing nor with peeling.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No problem on Fiberskyn for me. These are vinyl decals I cut myself (cricut machine) and put on this classic fit Fiberskyn head...

View attachment 519109

Smooth white also not a problem. I have used similar decals on coated heads and so far they have stuck okay.
Lucky mine I had to use my fingers some parts didn’t want to stick. I swear the cricut is such a great investment for a drummer lol

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can also vouch -- I have die-cut Stafford Signs manufacturer logos and band logos on all my bass drums, and I use smooth white, clear, coated, white suede, fiberskyn, skyntone, and renaissance heads on my various kicks.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a shield logo put on a fyberskyn 20 years ago, its never lifted even after spending 10 years in an unheated shed. No experience with coated

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lucky mine I had to use my fingers some parts didn’t want to stick. I swear the cricut is such a great investment for a drummer lol
I use a squeegee like plastic applicator to push the adhesive against the head.
My biggest problem is when, prior to application, you need to peel the backing off, leaving the decal on the weeding film and often the decal wants to peel off the weeding film rather than the backing. This often happens, especially on smaller areas and has happened with both decals that I bought pre-cut and ones I've made myself. But with patience and maybe an exacto-knife to pry up the edge I can always get it to work.

I swear the cricut is such a great investment for a drummer lol
Yes indeed...opens up a lot of possibilities.

colortone.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some advise, I need to put a decal on a head (remo), My question is in regards to the decals adhesion. Will a decal stick to a coated head? A fiberskyn head? ( I know it will be fine with a clear or white plastic head) I need a remo Classic fit head for my gretsch Bass drum, however smooth white heads are not available .
I've had the best application AFTER the head was stretched beyond my tuning choice. The ones that didn't stay as well were applied before the head was stretched, when the head was stretched the logo curled. Good luck!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a squeegee like plastic applicator to push the adhesive against the head.
My biggest problem is when, prior to application, you need to peel the backing off, leaving the decal on the weeding film and often the decal wants to peel off the weeding film rather than the backing. This often happens, especially on smaller areas and has happened with both decals that I bought pre-cut and ones I've made myself. But with patience and maybe an exacto-knife to pry up the edge I can always get it to work.

Yes indeed...opens up a lot of possibilities.

View attachment 519155
I do the same thing. It usually sticks good right off the bat but on the finerskin I had to really press it on. Also that orange is my favorite. Looks killer.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you put the decal on, and before you remove the outer backing, flip the head and use a coin to "scratch" the head from the inside on a flat surface. Rub the decal well and it won't come off. The flip over and pull off the backing....

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
peel at an angle.. ex: tape-- use a 45 * angle to pull rather than a in the direction of the tape...

sternerp

Reaction score
So I just made one on the cricut two night ago. classic shield design with initials for my Ludwig kick with a fiberskin, it was a little hard stick but it did go on I just went over it a ton after and made sure it was sticking and then played on it and checked it again. As far as putting it on I had to use my fingers to push down in spots as I way laying it if that makes sense. Regular coated emps worked no problem.
WOW! Thanks for the info about CRICUT machines. I had no idea that they were so affordable. I want one!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the info about CRICUT machines. I had no idea that they were so affordable. I want one!
They’re awesome. I know KO uses one as well making decals. There a lot of practical uses when it comes to drums. Rdavidr uses a different cutter and made lug gaskets. You can make business cards, bass drum decals, band decals etc.