Decent speakers for Electronic drums?

reabtima

Reaction score
Total beginner here,
I would like to connect some speakers to my Roland TD-1 set, i tried plugin-in an old guitar amp and it sounds HORRIBLE - especially the bass and the Hi-Hat (The sound of the stick hitting the rubber is much stronger then the sound the amp is letting out).
Are there any low priced speakers (Even PC/portable/non-amp speakers/ANYTHING) that will do a decent job at this?
I basically just want to jam with some friends so i need the minimal thing that would work

Thanks

electrodrummer

Reaction score
This is asked every day on every drum forum :)

A PA is the answer.

If you want to buy your own, and your band or venue doesn't have one:
Min 12" woofers. Speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Plenty of cost-effective options 2nd hand in the world if you want to save money, (don't know what you are - you didn't say).

LBCD

Reaction score
I run a small Mackie Mix5 into 2 Mackie powered 12” speakers. Just make sure to keep the input power on the speakers below unity.
And for bigger gigs a Yamaha powered mixer into 2 ea Yamaha 15” cabs.

jazzerone

Reaction score
You asked "Are there any low priced speakers (Even PC/portable/non-amp speakers/ANYTHING) that will do a decent job at this?"

No. There are not. Anything that fits the criteria you just described will sound like crap.

The problem with amping an e-kit is that you're trying to reproduce a really wide range of sounds, from the low end thud of the bass drum to the high end of a crash cymbal. Most amps are designed to do something within a specific range of those frequencies, but very few cover everything, and if they do they're expensive. That's why you're being told to run it through your PA, which comes off a board, which has the ability to dial in highs and lows.

But there is hope, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit. For starters, stay away from bass amps and guitar amps --- one is too muddy, the other too tinny. Shoot for something like a Roland keyboard amp, which are designed to accommodate both the high end and low end of a keyboard. They typically have a good sized main speaker and a smaller tweeter. You won't get a real deep thud for your bass drum, or a crystalline ring for your cymbals, but you'll be somewhere in the middle. That's the best you can hope for if you stay at the cheap end of this.

Shop around and you should be able to find something from the Roland KC line that will do the job for under $200. Anything cheaper than that... refer to the first line of my answer.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Second the used keyboard amp and Roland is a solid pick. If you want cheap American made, keep an eye out for a local Peavey KB300. They show up for cheap but are heavy yet indestructible and loud with a 15 and a horn.